Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    This is the same tired argument from WOW: profit opportunity versus quick sell. Both parties benefit in their own way, so really... there's no need to argue. Nobody's an "idiot" or a "fool" for throwing up a common item for a low buyout because that action has a specific purpose. And if you're willing to buy it and relist it for whatever you think it's worth... then congratulations, you are the target market.
    I had people in WoW tell me when listing cut blue gems at 50% of market value "it's not worth more to me" I kid you not, not only does it mean they went out to get the mats and even cut the gem, but knew the going market rate and still decided to undercut by 50% on an item that sells by the hundreds daily.

It's like asking your boss to only get 50% of your salary, finding a big lump of gold in your back yard and selling it at half price and so on, it's guarantied income with no research, if anyone did any of these things in real life you would question their sanity.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2012-04-30 at 05:11 PM.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, can we avoid bad analogies please?

It's a video game. But people do that in real life all the time... It's called Craigslist.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    I had people in WoW tell me when listing cut blue gems at 50% of market value "it's not worth more to me" I kid you not, not only does it mean they went out to get the mats and even cut the gem, but knew the going market rate and still decided to undercut by 50% on an item that sells by the hundreds daily.

It's like asking your boss to only get 50% of your salary, finding a big lump of gold in your back yard and selling it at half price and so on, it's guarantied income with no research, if anyone did any of these things in real life you would question their sanity.
    I've also seen people who scream at everyone for undercutting them, and calling people stupid and idiots for putting anything up for less than the market value. It's like going to the store and screaming at them for selling things for less than the competition, or even for having a sale.

Surely anyone who doesn't care about maximizing their fake money in a video game is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    I've also seen people who scream at everyone for undercutting them, and calling people stupid and idiots for putting anything up for less than the market value. It's like going to the store and screaming at them for selling things for less than the competition, or even for having a sale.
    Would be more like local store selling below the price they originally payed, same there, you would question the store owners sanity. I can to some extent get the offload your bags thing, in this case it's people intentionally making the effort to then cheat them selfs out of guarantied earnings for their time and effort though.

I'm on a dead server, so it's pretty much impossible to figure out what the going rate is for most things by examining the GTN. I'm sure I underprice way too often, but it's not like I need a ton of credits anyway.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that the missions actually have a credit cost associated to them right ...

you do realize you actually receive said credits from quest rewards and mob drops...?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonfiend76 View Post
    you do realize you actually receive said credits from quest rewards and mob drops...?
    And? Why would you want to use said credits to get crafting materials that you then proceed to sell at the GTN for less than you payed to get them, an easier path would be to either trade credits the the first person you see or just keep them in the first place.

Would be more like local store selling below the price they originally payed, same there, you would question the store owners sanity. I can to some extent get the offload your bags thing, in this case it's people intentionally making the effort to then cheat them selfs out of guarantied earnings for their time and effort though.
    Not with the example I cited. I literally have seen people scream in trade and barrage people with whispers and complain on forums anytime anyone undercuts them, because those people are not "making the most profit possible."

And actually, a lot of times sales will put something below what they paid for, especially things like close out sales, black friday, and other door buster types. They can afford to sell for less than they paid because they get you in the door.

Not with the example I cited. I literally have seen people scream in trade and barrage people with whispers and complain on forums anytime anyone undercuts them, because those people are not "making the most profit possible."
    Fair enough.

And actually, a lot of times sales will put something below what they paid for, especially things like close out sales, black friday, and other door buster types. They can afford to sell for less than they paid because they get you in the door.
    Doesn't really apply here though as there is no benefit for you to sell below cost.

Fair enough.

Doesn't really apply here though as there is no benefit for you to sell below cost.
    On my server, and this isn't absolute, just one faction of one server, most common mats really do only go for the default GTN price. It's mostly the big ticket items where you're going to make your money. Mando Iron is 10k each, while the blue (cirilian?) is actually less than default. The I usually end up with stockpiles and try to sell in bulk on the GTN, then sometimes I'll get whispers from people asking if I have more, or have other things. That's when I'll mark up my price. Pay for convenience.

EDIT: Ciridium, just checked. 16000 for 20, and it costs 1700 for 2
    Last edited by Koalachan; 2012-04-30 at 08:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    from my perspective, if i am still leveling a profession, i need a way to supplement the mats i need, be it via gathering or missions...but if i have a surplus and have advanced my prof. level, its worth it to me to save bag space to sell for whatever i feel i can get for them asap.

On my server, and this isn't absolute, just one faction of one server, most common mats really do only go for the default GTN price. It's mostly the big ticket items where you're going to make your money. Mando Iron is 10k each, while the blue (cirilian?) is actually less than default. The I usually end up with stockpiles and try to sell in bulk on the GTN, then sometimes I'll get whispers from people asking if I have more, or have other things. That's when I'll mark up my price. Pay for convenience.
    Yours differ lots from the once I have played around on then, not handled basic materials a lot in this game though as I really not been to bothered about making extra credits outside mission discoveries/augment mats, in WoW I have seen probably any and all behavior you can think of while making my million gold though, being interested in peoples behavior I have on occasion whispered people in WoW to try and understand why the do what they do and lets just say my faith in humanity took a hit most times.

I normally post at the default price for things because I generally can't be bothered to mess with figuring out what the "optimum" price is. I don't like playing the GTN and only really post things up when I want to get more than I would vendoring the item. It's still a profit for me, and if someone else buys it and sells it for more, that's great. Gogo Economy. For me it's just a matter of where I prefer to spend my time.

1. Credits are important and hard to come by, right?

2. Obviously people would try a little harder to maximize their profits if credits were dollars/euros/other real money. Credits are not dollars/euros/other real money. You only need enough credits such that you can enjoy the game, and, to most people, that amount is not very high. Why waste your life trying to get fake currency that you don't even need in the game for which its designed? Your life is better wasted by doing PvP, an instance, or something else that is interesting and fun (and why you pay a monthly subscription for the game).

To call people idiots over this is amusing, to say the least, and ignores conscious decision-making by these people on what is more important to them. Even a few minutes of your actual life is worth more than additional fake video game money you don't even need (and can be gained easily enough through your NPCs).
    Last edited by DetectiveJohnKimble; 2012-04-30 at 08:23 PM.

Yours differ lots from the once I have played around on then, not handled basic materials a lot in this game though as I really not been to bothered about making extra credits outside mission discoveries/augment mats, in WoW I have seen probably any and all behavior you can think of while making my million gold though, being interested in peoples behavior I have on occasion whispered people in WoW to try and understand why the do what they do and lets just say my faith in humanity took a hit most times.
    Ultimately, there are all kinds of people that post on the GTN. It's a lot like every other part of the game. Not everyone does it the same way. I'm a bodyguard merc. I'm not gonna hate on every arsenal merc I see, because they want something different than I do. It's the same on the GTN. For whatever reason someone posted something, cheap or expensive, if they're happy with it than let them be happy with it, and if you can make some money off of them than go for it. The two things I see people get most worked up over everyone else not being like them is pvp and GTN (or any ah).

The two things I see people get most worked up over everyone else not being like them is pvp and GTN (or any ah).
    The AH bit is simply because their special snowflake way to do that part of the game is very disruptive to the people enjoying that part of the game, and I'm not so much talking about people putting stuff up at base price as that's a no brainer, I'm talking about people that know the going rate but decide to be special and sell at some middle ground.

While I don't rage at them I can see why some find it very disruptive and if you play for that part of the game alone it's borderline griefing even.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I normally post at the default price for things because I generally can't be bothered to mess with figuring out what the "optimum" price is. I don't like playing the GTN and only really post things up when I want to get more than I would vendoring the item. It's still a profit for me, and if someone else buys it and sells it for more, that's great. Gogo Economy. For me it's just a matter of where I prefer to spend my time.
    If it takes me more than 10 seconds to find an optimum price, it isn't worth my time and I go with the default price. I've been operating like this since December and I still have plenty of credits for all tiers of speeder training when I reach levels 25, 40 and 50. I even splurge on some of the more frivolous legacy bonuses as well without the need for a cash injection from a level 50 main.

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveJohnKimble View Post
    1. Credits are important and hard to come by, right?

2. Obviously people would try a little harder to maximize their profits if credits were dollars/euros/other real money. Credits are not dollars/euros/other real money. You only need enough credits such that you can enjoy the game, and, to most people, that amount is not very high. Why waste your life trying to get fake currency that you don't even need in the game for which its designed? Your life is better wasted by doing PvP, an instance, or something else that is interesting and fun (and why you pay a monthly subscription for the game).

To call people idiots over this is amusing, to say the least, and ignores conscious decision-making by these people on what is more important to them. Even a few minutes of your actual life is worth more than additional fake video game money you don't even need (and can be gained easily enough through your NPCs).
    Because usually these are probably the same people posting on official forums all the time asking how can I make credits. Maybe if they actually sold items for what they were worth they wouldnt need to ask this. People complaining in trade that they cant afford their speeders at 25 or they cant keep their gear and companions up to date. Again maybe if you posted your stuff for the correct price you would have your speeder.

Just rerolled and hit 25 have 500k credits with about 100k for sale on the GTN, have my speeder, spaceship is up to date, My gear is at level along with companions, and I have all the inventory upgrades. All I did was take archeology, Bioanalysis, and Scavenging so nothing special. Im not even gouging I just sell what I get for 300-400 each even though the next guy is selling for 1000g each and I probably could get sales at 600g each.

Sure if you dont care about credits because you are on your 5 alt thats one thing. But if you are on your first character you are just hurting yourself giving away your auctions for peanuts. Sure credits are easy to get once you hit 50 and run dailies on 4 characters but you do need some spending money along the way if you are new.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Because usually these are probably the same people posting on official forums all the time asking how can I make credits. Maybe if they actually sold items for what they were worth they wouldnt need to ask this. People complaining in trade that they cant afford their speeders at 25 or they cant keep their gear and companions up to date. Again maybe if you posted your stuff for the correct price you would have your speeder.

Just rerolled and hit 25 have 500k credits with about 100k for sale on the GTN, have my speeder, spaceship is up to date, My gear is at level along with companions, and I have all the inventory upgrades. All I did was take archeology, Bioanalysis, and Scavenging so nothing special. Im not even gouging I just sell what I get for 300-400 each even though the next guy is selling for 1000g each and I probably could get sales at 600g each.

Sure if you dont care about credits because you are on your 5 alt thats one thing. But if you are on your first character you are just hurting yourself giving away your auctions for peanuts. Sure credits are easy to get once you hit 50 and run dailies on 4 characters but you do need some spending money along the way if you are new.
    If you don't have enough credits to afford your speeder at 25, it's hardly because of not selling things for the right price. You have bigger issues. I never sell things on my lowbies, purchase all my talents, work on my crew skills, and can still afford speeders at 25 and 40 easily.