Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    If you didn't think that Skyrim was linear then you won't think that ESO is linear questing is pretty similar between the two
    I disagree. At least from what I've played, maybe it opens up later in the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evyan View Post
    Those graphics...

No matter how fun or innovative this game might be. The graphics are a MAJOR dealbreaker for me.
    No way... it looks like the game was made in 2001....

This is so immersive breaking :s
    I stronly wait before you have played it yourself, there isn't any MMORPG on the market that runs the same quality at this point. We aren't talking about art preference, purely graphical detail.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I disagree. At least from what I've played, maybe it opens up later in the game.
    Lvl10+ is 95% the same style questing as in Skyrim. You can either focus on a quest line, or get distracted by the 10 sidequests you randomly find during the main quest.

- - - Updated - - -

NDA is still in effect for the entire game
    I won't say what it is, but the cap is not on 30. The game is is pretty much in a finished state to closed beta testers. It still has a lot of bugs obviously, since it's beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Lvl10+ is 95% the same style questing as in Skyrim. You can either focus on a quest line, or get distracted by the 10 sidequests you randomly find during the main quest.
    well that's good to hear. I was afraid the whole game was going to be led by the nose type questing that I saw in the early part of the game. Now, for that type of content I thought it was pretty good but it wasn't like an Elder Scrolls game at that point. But if it does open up later then that's good to hear. Now they need to add in housing and other sandbox elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    Yeah, the best system would be static meaningful questing with dynamic events thrown in.
    Which is sorta exactly what GW2 has. It has its static primary storyline quest, and then dynamic events thrown in as filler quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    WoW's is not as simple as you portray. I know ESO's is different. But with WoW there is a requirement not only to target the mob but to also avoid certain spells and actions by the mobs. So it is " active " in the extent you cannot just stand there and push buttons ether.
    It's "active" but it's not action. Action combat systems aren't determined purely by dice rolls. In an action combat system, you can actively avoid any attack, not just the placed AoE attacks that you avoid in WoW. Having AoE's to avoid doesn't make a game have action combat.

In terms of design, WoW's combat is very straight forward and simple. There are predictable AoE attacks that are infrequent and very telegraphed that you have to avoid. You can do nothing, as a tank, to actively avoid direct attacks from the boss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Which is sorta exactly what GW2 has. It has its static primary storyline quest, and then dynamic events thrown in as filler quests.

It's "active" but it's not action. Action combat systems aren't determined purely by dice rolls. In an action combat system, you can actively avoid any attack, not just the placed AoE attacks that you avoid in WoW. Having AoE's to avoid doesn't make a game have action combat.

In terms of design, WoW's combat is very straight forward and simple. There are predictable AoE attacks that are infrequent and very telegraphed that you have to avoid. You can do nothing, as a tank, to actively avoid direct attacks from the boss.
    In ESO I'd say it's about 50/50. You can't avoid all, but you need to know what to take and what to avoid. That mixed in with the classic avoid AoE stuff that you mentioned from WoW.

I'd say it's in between WoW and Tera Online as far as combat goes. Which I like, since Tera was pushing it to the point that hitboxes were so buggy it sometimes didn't feel like you actually had a choice in what you did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    well that's good to hear. I was afraid the whole game was going to be led by the nose type questing that I saw in the early part of the game. Now, for that type of content I thought it was pretty good but it wasn't like an Elder Scrolls game at that point. But if it does open up later then that's good to hear. Now they need to add in housing and other sandbox elements.
    It's still linear in the sence that you can't go to the end of the world to just do random quest. It's a game with levels, meaning you have to do quest within your level range. You can compare it to walking into Skyrims first town (where you kill your first dragon) and having the option to do the main quest or all the random quests you pick up in and around the town.

That mixed in with some treasure hunting/exploring in which I can't go in detail due NDA (treasure hunting is not a feature, I just put a label on it lol).

Main point is, if you like Skyrim questing you will like ESO questing. Same goes for disliking that style of questing. Same goes for proffesions for that matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    When is skyrim gonna have another beta weekend anyway as far as i know it's been down since November
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

A lot of the questing is based on distraction style of quests. This video is dated but it is interesting if you are interesting in questing in this game.

Deleted
    When is skyrim gonna have another beta weekend anyway as far as i know it's been down since November
    Beta is ongoing, just because you ain't in one doesn't mean it's not there. :P

The biggest improvement since last beta I'd say is the voice acting...the robot voices are gone. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest improvement since last beta I'd say is the voice acting...the robot voices are gone. xD
    There are way more improvement since last beta imo. But agree voice acting feels better.

10+ Year Old Account

oh thank god..... its a miracle....
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

That's quite a relief. Although I did have a pretty good chuckle at the robot voices for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atnag View Post
    That's quite a relief. Although I did have a pretty good chuckle at the robot voices for the most part.
    Some of the robot voices are getting less recognizable, if you don't wear headphones. I got a chuckle out of the British girl robot they used for some Dark Elf characters because I didn't realize it until a few sentences in.

10+ Year Old Account
    can avoid just about any attack through smart positioning or movement.
    Except for those unavoidable auto attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Except for those unavoidable auto attack.
    Indeed. I was talking about the action combat system in general, not WildStars hybridized combat system.

10+ Year Old Account
    In general yeah.

I don't understand why some devs go half way and still call it 'action combat' cause it isn't. Then again it's like the word that makes people go oooooooooooo for the uninformed. You can sense my distaste.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

It is not just AOE attacks you need to avoid, but also frontal attacks. Also interrupts can be vital. But I see what you are saying, but really do not see the big deal with ESOs combat versus WoW's. Different yes, but not harder. You have to think and adjust in ether one. The only difference would be dodge and parry is built into the player's char in WoW. And I guess having the fixed cursor in the center of the screen would come into play for ESO. But I watched my son play Skyrim for hours on his Xbox and really did not see it being that big of a deal. The hit box seemed to be large. My main concern is not how the combat is done so much, but how you do it with the control scheme, how you move your char and interact with the game world, etc. Most MMO's let you do that a lot with the mouse.

It is not just AOE attacks you need to avoid, but also frontal attacks.
    That's AoE as well... AoE attacks are any directional/placed attacks in the WoW combat system.

Also interrupts can be vital.
    Has nothing to do with the combat system. Interrupts can exist in any form of combat.

But I see what you are saying, but really do not see the big deal with ESOs combat versus WoW's.
    Do you see a big difference between the combat system in Devil May Cry or God of War compared to WoW? Because that's what it is at the most conceptual level.

Different yes, but not harder.
    I never indicated that it was harder, however an action based system is more difficult for tank classes as they need to be far more aware of the fights and their surroundings. For everyone else, unless they're being attacked, fights don't change much.

The only difference would be dodge and parry is built into the player's char in WoW.
    Parry/dodge/miss/block. That's kinda one of the crux's of the differences. In WoW, those things are entirely determined by dice rolls. In an action combat system, those things are determined by player actions, not dice rolls.

I'm sorry, but if you can't see a big difference between an action combat system and a static combat system I really don't know what to say. They're dramatically different in how they function, and if it's not readily apparent then I don't think any amount of explaining will be able to convince you of the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    In general yeah.

I don't understand why some devs go half way and still call it 'action combat' cause it isn't. Then again it's like the word that makes people go oooooooooooo for the uninformed. You can sense my distaste.
    In the case of Wildstar, it was so they could maintain trinity through white damage and use the buzz world "action combat" and "skill shots".

As for TESO? I would have to test it for more than half a weekend but, between the block mechanic AND dodge mechanic, there may be players who can specialize in damage avoidance to the point where we could call it full action (but I doubt it because they wanted trinity as well)
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

What? No, it's not ongoing. There have been several support related answers that they are still holding beta weekends and that the next one is going to be soon, but it's surely not a permanent, ongoing thing. No clue what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    What? No, it's not ongoing. There have been several support related answers that they are still holding beta weekends and that the next one is going to be soon, but it's surely not a permanent, ongoing thing. No clue what you're talking about.
    Usually when games do betas, they have larger ones for the masses that takes place on the weekend (last ESO one had 300k people in it). They also have ones that go on till release that a smaller group take part in.

Just because the next beta weekend is going to happen soon doesn't mean there isn't one on-going. Trust me on this, Sarac is correct.
    Last edited by Sharuko; 2014-01-07 at 09:59 AM.