Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Difference between Warrior and Ranger?

Hey! I've been watching Guild Wars 2 awhile. Thing what I've been wondering is that I have seen Warrior PVP spec where he uses gun and kills stuff pretty well with it. So if Warrior can play well with ranged weapon what is main difference between Warrior and Ranger?

Does Warror less damage with ranged weapons like bow and gun and Ranger more damage with them? I looked little to Ranger melee weapons some of them have good survival skills so I guess Ranger can't make so much damage with melee weapons than Warrior can with ranged weapons?

In one video where someone played 1 lvl Ranger his main first skill was axe what he throwed and what made some kind of area damage.

So can someone inform me little difference between Ranger and Warrior?

Warrior Range is more centered around AoE more then direct damage overall. That might be the entire case with the rifle, but each class has different utilities and abilities that make it vastly more different then another, even if they use the same weapon.

I don't know much of anything going InDepth on warrior vs rangers, so someone else might be able to give you a better answer. Just know that they are completely different.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Deleted
    Only thing I can talk about here is warrior rifle (as that's the only thing I've tried), but the rifle warrior is heavily focused on bleeding and control.

Deleted
    Oh and I forgot that Ranger of course uses pets which Warrior does not.

Thing why I'm asking this is that I'm wondering which one suit more my style in the paper

Ranger greatsword is immense for damage. I think they're two range weapons are different for aoe and single target too. They're a very good profession.
    Didn't try warrior so no comment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heavy Armor vs Medium Armor + Pet

Warrior Longbow = Burns and AoE
    Warrior Rifle = Bleeds + Slow (Single Target unless traited)

Ranger Longbow = Big hits and Knockback

I'd be interested in this as well, seeing as this is definitely not a game where you're able to stand in place plucking a bow forever. Are they both equal toe to toe in melee? Do they both use melee equally as often, on average? It would make sense for the ranger to have more aoe snares/traps to be able to get some more hits in, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumu View Post
    I'd be interested in this as well, seeing as this is definitely not a game where you're able to stand in place plucking a bow forever. Are they both equal toe to toe in melee? Do they both use melee equally as often, on average? It would make sense for the ranger to have more aoe snares/traps to be able to get some more hits in, for example.
    I know the sword-dagger combo for the ranger gives you a lot of "toe-to-toe" melee proficiency, but I think the other non-bow weapons for the ranger are mostly just medium range weapons. Warriors don't really have a medium range. You're either in someone's face, breaking it, or you're standing at range and trying to burn them down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GallowsZA View Post
    I know the sword-dagger combo for the ranger gives you a lot of "toe-to-toe" melee proficiency, but I think the other non-bow weapons for the ranger are mostly just medium range weapons. Warriors don't really have a medium range. You're either in someone's face, breaking it, or you're standing at range and trying to burn them down.
    Well, I do know rangers can use dual-handed swords to great effect in melee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Well, I do know rangers can use dual-handed swords to great effect in melee.
    Ahh thats right, greatsword. My friend was the one playing a ranger, and I don't recall him trying to use it. Apologies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GallowsZA View Post
    Ahh thats right, greatsword. My friend was the one playing a ranger, and I don't recall him trying to use it. Apologies.
    No worries - I haven't even tried it myself, I just remember seeing it on Jesse Cox's livestream.

Deleted
    Interesting.

Do you think that Ranger in Guild Wars 2 is kiting profession or something more different? I'm asking this because I like to play as character which have to be able to kite to play succesfully

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Therier88 View Post
    Interesting.

Do you think that Ranger in Guild Wars 2 is kiting profession or something more different? I'm asking this because I like to play as character which have to be able to kite to play succesfully
    Most of the ranged professions / weapons setups will require you to kite while soloing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therier88 View Post
    Interesting.

Shortbow definately, Longbow not so much. Have you had a look at the various weapon abilities for the various professions?

Deleted
    Yes I have. But of course tooltips don't tell you whole truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference?
    Rangers do more melee and ranged damage than warrior outright, whereas warriors do most of their damage over time. Therefore rangers have the upper hand because ranger greatsword is OP (especially in PvP) and they have a pet.

See, folks? I can complain about balance issues even before a game is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    The difference?
    Rangers do more melee and ranged damage than warrior outright, whereas warriors do most of their damage over time. Therefore rangers have the upper hand because ranger greatsword is OP (especially in PvP) and they have a pet.

See, folks? I can complain about balance issues even before a game is released.
    Ranger greatsword, op? What are the warrior then, I wonder? God?

So can someone inform me little difference between Ranger and Warrior?
    One relies on a pet. The other doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    All classes in Guild Wars 2 have melee and ranged weapon sets. Differences I have seen in Ranger and Warrior are things like. Warriors are aimed at melee although they can be range, Rangers can be melee although aimed at range. Warriors have brute strength and toughness while Rangers have bestial allies and survival instinct. A Ranger will most likely shoot their foe and keep them at a distance through the use of slows, snares, knock backs and traps. A Warrior will most likely shoot their foe and destroy them in close quarters with brute strength. Although play style will vary between players... hopefully.

Rifle + ??? warrior, with main focus on rifle in the traits selection, is more than viable, and i gonna say its better than a ranger