10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    What about Shadows of Morador?
    or Dark souls 1/2?
    Got shadows of mordor too, though I wouldn't class it as an RPG, as for dark souls it just doesn't ring right with me, tried demon's souls but found death to be too punishing there to continue with it.

You can see why I'm running out of western non-isometric RPG's to try...
    Last edited by Aeula; 2015-04-13 at 04:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    So, this is actually an interesting request.

NWN2 is very similar to isometric D&D games, you can even play it as such by zooming out and locking the camera facing down.

NWN inhabits this strange space between the old, isometric RPGs like Icewind Dale I/II, Baldurs gate I/II, Planarscape Torment, and a few others that are less popular and the hack and sladh D&D games like the later dragon age games.

So, I would suggest Dragon Age: Origins.
    DA:O isn't based on the D&D ruleset. It's that that I'm looking for: a game based on the D&D ruleset. I've already played DA:O and while it's fun, it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

There hasn't really been a quality D&D game since BG 15 years ago. Neverwinter (a Cryptic MMO) is loosely based on it, but probably not what your looking for.

Closest thing I can think of is Pillars of Eternity, but as you said your not interested in BG games.

Not sure what else is out there for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    There hasn't really been a quality D&D game since BG 15 years ago.
    There was Neverwinter Nights 2, and its first expansion :P

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    DA:O isn't based on the D&D ruleset. It's that that I'm looking for: a game based on the D&D ruleset. I've already played DA:O and while it's fun, it's not exactly what I'm looking for.
    A full list.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ns_video_games

If you discard re-releases and silly mobile games, I think Neverwinter Nights Online is the last game to be released using the D&D ruleset. Before that, NWN2. I can recommend NWN2 - it had a good story, interesting companions and overall wasn't a bad game. it just suffered from a very bad game engine. I mean, it had the load times of a commodore 64, the framerate of crysis on a 386, nothing to really justify the abysmal performance, and the controls royally sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Anyone got any decent western non-isometric RPG's to recommend? It doesn't have to be open world, I just want the feeling of not knowing what's around the corner in the world, I've tried isometric and it tends to be hit or miss, not something I'm willing to risk money on.

I've tried all the big games like elder scrolls, witcher, dragon age, mass effect, fallout and a few lesser known ones like divinity 2 (Loved he expansion for that game) and kingdoms of amalur. I've only ever liked on JRPG and that was mostly due to combat (Dragons dogma), generally JRPG's aren't my thing.

Are there any western RPG's left out there to my tastes that are decent?
    If you want a first person cRPG that you didn't mention, there are quite a few.

First of all, you have the entire dungeon crawler genre. It involved maze-like dungeons, lever-and-pressure plate puzzles galore, monsters to slay, and a first person step based view. I suspect this is exactly what you are looking for. You won't see what you are looking for until you turn around the corner, and for the more hardcore games in the genre you even have to make your own map (which can be kinda fun, but more often than not just boring). The big classic defining specimen of the genre is IMO Eye of the Beholder 2, but a much more modern (and incredibly well-designed) specimen in the genre is Legend of Grimrock. Have a look at http://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/top-100/ and see if you fancy anything.

I guess there is Fable and sequels. Never played it myself, but it's available for PC.

You didn't mention Knights of the Old Republic (1&2) in your list, and I recommend trying it out. Especially the second one is one of the best cRPGs ever made.
    There is also Jade empire if you want a more in-your-face combat system. All very good RPGs.

Now, if you are willing to go back quite a bit more, the graphics should start to hurt a little.
    - Ultima Underworld gave me hours of joys, but I suspect the graphics is way too dated for newcomers to pick it up.
    - There are some old d&d first person RPGs: Menzoberranzan and ravenloft, which might be interesting to you
    - There is Might and Magic 7 . Not the best game in the genre I suppose.
    - Then there is Betrayal at Krondor. The graphics royally suck in all sense of the word, but the story is superb!
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Hmmm me, Games=Gta and Gta=Games. The only game strike my mind..
    Anyone for PvP ? I'm waiting Elsword India Throw me a challenge..

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking for a game similar to sid meier's pirates, anyone have any idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I'm looking for a game similar to sid meier's pirates, anyone have any idea?
    you could try out assassins creed black flag, its very different, but still has a great pirate feel and the ship combat really is great, its the only thing ive ever played which seemed as awesome as pirates

I'm looking for a game that's similar to a Quake 3 mod called DBZ Bid For Power. Here's an example of the mod.

I used to enjoy it back in the day, despite flaws, and its unfortunate that it got a cease & desist notice. However, I have an itch for a fast paced shooter where you could fly, and have crazy powers/abilities/weapon. The only game that comes to mind is Project Nimbus, and that's in early access. I doubt there's anything similar, but I hope I can find something that I've overlooked.

10+ Year Old Account
    There hasn't really been a quality D&D game since BG 15 years ago.
    I can list quite a few:

Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1/2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Neverwinter Nights 1/2, KotoR 1/2... Neverwinter Nights 1/2 have so many user-made modules (believed by many to be better than the official campaigns), you won't play through even 10% of the best of them if all you do is play them 24/7 for your entire life.
    Last edited by May90; 2015-04-19 at 05:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Posted this in the wrong thread earlier so here's to hoping this is the right one.

One of the things I love most about wow is how certain stats for some classes don't just increase damage but actually change the way you play said spec. Best example I can give of this is how critical strike in wow leads to procs for some classes. Like shadow priest with Auspicious Spirits or fire mages. So as you progressively get stronger in gear, instead of just doing more damage you actually get to hit your big dick dps buttons more often/ your rotation changes as you get stronger and you can feel it outside of just doing bigger numbers. It feels more rewarding imo as for gearing up.

Any other MMOs or other games like this where getting more gear/ stronger actually does more than just allows you to do more damage/healing? Where more and more gear/stats actually changes your playstyle?

Quote Originally Posted by Re1 View Post
    Posted this in the wrong thread earlier so here's to hoping this is the right one.

One of the things I love most about wow is how certain stats for some classes don't just increase damage but actually change the way you play said spec. Best example I can give of this is how critical strike in wow leads to procs for some classes. Like shadow priest with Auspicious Spirits or fire mages. So as you progressively get stronger in gear, instead of just doing more damage you actually get to hit your big dick dps buttons more often/ your rotation changes as you get stronger and you can feel it outside of just doing bigger numbers. It feels more rewarding imo as for gearing up.

Any other MMOs or other games like this where getting more gear/ stronger actually does more than just allows you to do more damage/healing? Where more and more gear/stats actually changes your playstyle?
    What you are describing reminds me of Warframe, actually.

Different mods (stats) can unlock entirely different play styles and weapon combos.

IE: Some stance mods make it so fist weapons have knock down combos like EE pause E.
    Knocked down enemies can be hit with finishers.
    Some mods increase finisher damage.

I think you see where I am going with this, haha.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Is there an MMO that is, has, or does the following? -

1) Doesn't devolve into a time consuming gear grind
    2) Has an open, explorable world with many points of interest and good questing
    3) Has good character personalization or customization options
    4) Is not grindy (eg. Levelling, reputation, cash flow)
    5) Has a good diversity of classes and races
    6) Strong lore and story elements

I'm burned out on WoW right now and am looking for an alternative. Genre doesn't matter (fantasy, science fiction, alternate reality) but I would like it to look nice. Detailed graphics, diversity of zones, races, architecture and so forth are desirable.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    Is there an MMO that is, has, or does the following? -

1) Doesn't devolve into a time consuming gear grind
    2) Has an open, explorable world with many points of interest and good questing
    3) Has good character personalization or customization options
    4) Is not grindy (eg. Levelling, reputation, cash flow)
    5) Has a good diversity of classes and races
    6) Strong lore and story elements

I'm burned out on WoW right now and am looking for an alternative. Genre doesn't matter (fantasy, science fiction, alternate reality) but I would like it to look nice. Detailed graphics, diversity of zones, races, architecture and so forth are desirable.

Any suggestions?
    Star Trek Online sounds like it could fit the bill - just know that, having been bought by PW, there may be some... 'interesting' cash offers (no exp boosts or anything), but the game is indeed playable from start to endgame without any grinding (And I mean NO grinding) and has some quite quality story. In fact, the entire game is questing. (Good questing, I've never met a filler or lackluster mission so far).

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hi there,

I'm looking for an "up-to-date" strategy game, I loved Battle for middle-earth, played the crap out of the Civilization games and also played a lot of Starcraft 2. I prefer single-player based game, I don't really like multiplayer in strategy games.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Piene View Post
    Hi there,

I'm looking for an "up-to-date" strategy game, I loved Battle for middle-earth, played the crap out of the Civilization games and also played a lot of Starcraft 2. I prefer single-player based game, I don't really like multiplayer in strategy games.

Thanks!
    Have you tried Endless Legend? Very story-rich, fantasy world (more or less) 4x strategy game.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    Have you tried Endless Legend? Very story-rich, fantasy world (more or less) 4x strategy game.
    Tried it, but didn't really liked it, it felt like an unpolished civilization game... :/ Although I might give it another try.
    Any other suggestions?

Star Trek Online sounds like it could fit the bill - just know that, having been bought by PW, there may be some... 'interesting' cash offers (no exp boosts or anything), but the game is indeed playable from start to endgame without any grinding (And I mean NO grinding) and has some quite quality story. In fact, the entire game is questing. (Good questing, I've never met a filler or lackluster mission so far).
    I tried STO, and it didn't grab me, but that was a while ago, perhaps I'll take another look. Is it ship- or character-centric?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    I tried STO, and it didn't grab me, but that was a while ago, perhaps I'll take another look. Is it ship- or character-centric?
    Half and half; you develop both your character and your ship (they have separate skill trees, equipment, bars, etc). Some missions are all ground (as in, controlling your character) and some missions are all space (only flying around in your ship). The shitty old tutorial has been thrown out and replaced with one that does the game justice and is on the same level of quality the rest of the game's play and writing are.

Note: If you start a new character RIGHT NOW (while the event lasts), you character will get a permanent buff to XP and money find and extra bonuses you can unlock (you can choose to unlock them even after the event is over; you just have to start a new character during the Delta Recruitment program). Great time to bring back old players or introduce new ones (It's a very well done ST game and the stories are quite captivating).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Anyone got any decent western non-isometric RPG's to recommend? It doesn't have to be open world, I just want the feeling of not knowing what's around the corner in the world, I've tried isometric and it tends to be hit or miss, not something I'm willing to risk money on.

I've tried all the big games like elder scrolls, witcher, dragon age, mass effect, fallout and a few lesser known ones like divinity 2 (Loved he expansion for that game) and kingdoms of amalur. I've only ever liked on JRPG and that was mostly due to combat (Dragons dogma), generally JRPG's aren't my thing.

Are there any western RPG's left out there to my tastes that are decent?
    Do you tried play maybe Gothic and Risen? If not, i recomend try it. Especially Gothic, because got fun dialogues and is classic. (I was grow up on Gothic, i know what i saying)