Only Soul Eater I know of is The Duchess (giant Merveil's Daughter). I just killed her on my DW/EV char. Required lots of kiting and killing adds to refill mana pots. Adds count as kills, but not souls, so you can refill pots, but not Vaal Gems (bummer). Of course, killing adds also provides more souls [for The Duchess to consume]. So, yeah.
    Last edited by Cyclone Jack; 2014-03-09 at 01:30 PM.

Queen, solo, no deaths.

To understand better have a look at how insane he's gear is, scroll down and look at the char 'JinLoman' at the bottom of this post.

I am aware of his near perfect gear. It's still badass soloing the Queen.

Deleted
    Even with near perfect gear, he took a lot of beating and got almost one shot several times. Atziri is no freaking joke. I think not even the average player might be able to kill her, even in a party.

I'll probably never kill her. D:

I wonder what kind of passives and gems this guy uses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I wonder what kind of passives and gems this guy uses.
    Click Redblade's link and scroll all the way down on the OP and click CHAR and on JinLoman's Gear,10K+HP Cyclone section. That is, for the gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am aware of his near perfect gear. It's still badass soloing the Queen.
    Yeah it is, just wanted to put it in perspective for people who might not realize how crazy gear the guy has.

Starting to get the feeling that the corrupted areas aren't for characters just equipped with items found in the normal game. Died so many times to the vaal construct boss in the crypt corrupted area. I only insisted on killing him because it was the normal game and I didn't have any experience to lose. He used multi projectiles and was very fast. He had a few other abilities too, but I was usually killed before then lol. Did get a map fragment out of it though. Also tried out the invasion mode and died at level three XD. Is there a good character to use first if you are new to the hardcore modes?

I think in most cases it is merely about what buff mobs have in the area or what debuff you have. Though I have no idea how hard they are on merciless, I did manage to clear all the ones I found on normal and about 50% what I find in cruel. Sometimes the corrupted areas are ridiculous, I admit. A boss that summons corpses and then turns them into constant stream of zombies that move nearly at lightspeed because boss summoned more corpses and buffed the zombies? Zone gives you speed debuff and you move slower than a sloth while boss hits about 2-4 times a second with hits that take you down to 10%hp and you will be dead before you can get even one hit in ... oh and lets not forget endless stream of adds. I think some stuff has been designed to be made in groups.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I keep telling myself I'm going to play this again, but everyone I know keeps freaking out over RoS being good so I'm stuck between the two, heh.

At least it sounds like it's possible to die in PoE! That's a plus.
    Possible? It's more like 99.9999% sure

Apparently one of the rulers of wraeclasts pets form the design a custom monster part of the pack, though he declined the monster part of it.

And a lovely result from a vaal orb on a lionseye's glare, see how it keeps the unique 2d art

I wish melee was more viable and fun, its seem like most of the class and builds are played at caster or tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterik View Post
    I wish melee was more viable and fun, its seem like most of the class and builds are played at caster or tank.
    Melee is plenty viable, but with everything in late game they take a bit of gearing.
    Almost all my character bar 3 are melee.
    And last night i managed to kill Dominus on merciless on the frist character i made when he was introduced...a duelist which couldn't manage him despite being build tanky he just didn't have the damage(none of my ranged characters have got that far), with the merge and passive reset though it allowed me to build a 2 handed cyclone duelist and swap some jewelry about and get http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Kaom%27s_Primacy from my standard stash.

Honestly didn't think it would work as i lost about 50 block rating some health and armor and an endurance charge but damn did it...died three times getting to his second stage(couldn't even get close before with over a dozen deaths) and the second stage resulted in no deaths...even with the mad desync it wasn't that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Masterik View Post
    Fun is subjective. But melee based builds are perfectly viable.

A great portion of Path of Exile's design and community are heavily defensive build biased. So that is why we tend to see a lot of +Hp, range or damage proxy type builds in Path of Exile- because the game is rather punishing and the player base kinda likes it like that.

In everything but invasion league, melee is viable.
    For invasion, melee will become viable once more gear is available on the market.

I am playing Invasion now as a melee Duelist in Cruel.

The Invasion bosses are deadly to most builds.

I'm playing a facebreaker marauder in invasion in merciless. Some stuff you have to run from for sure....but that's true of being a ranged build for sure as well, and the list of stuff I had to run from on my summoner before she got ripped was a lot bigger than my marauder, even with an army of tanks.

In my opinion the issue with invasion is that there is no incentive to do the bosses at all. They drop a fraction of the loot of exiles and are actually way harder to kill, in many cases. They are definitely not worth the risk of fighting at all and should probably be skipped most of the time unless your gear is good enough that you could literally go AFK and not die.

Some of them are pretty easy, I would say even most of them aren't that bad, but there are still a dozen or so that are total rage mode and pretty much just cause instant save n' exits or map resets.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2014-03-12 at 08:37 PM.

Atziri was finally killed in Ambush. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/831603 Pretty impressive. I don't foresee this happening on Invasion for another few days at least, if not another week.

My biggest issue with the new Bosses is pretty much what Lysah mentioned, they aren't worth the effort. Sure, you'll need to fight them in the Corrupted Areas for the Vaal Fragments, but past that you can skip them completely. Their drops are horrid, and some either take way too long to kill, or are too dangerous for your build.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, from Rhys,

"With SotV, we added like 62 new bosses to the game. We actually hired a new balance/design guy to do a lot of this and kinda chucked him in the deep end. It's not his fault, though. We couldn't have done it without him and we're super thankful to have him around. Despite our best efforts to completely overwhelm him, there's only like 6 or so bosses that are a bunch tougher than they should be, which isn't bad going, really. Hopefully those'll be fixed in 1.1.1. or thereabouts. But there's also several who aren't doing enough! Like, they were given cool skills but aren't using them for whatever reason. Those are also being fixed up (and they won't be OP... I hope...)."

I think the new bosses are just there as a challenge or for the "scare" factor. There doesn't have to be any real incentive to kill them- they just are.

Hence, challenge leagues.