Patch notes are awesome. With all the new cold skill/supports I'm going to try a dual cold claw EV/AR/Fort Ranger with Rage, Smoke and Whirl, and a Golem on the side. The change to Ondar's is going to take some adjusting (I always used it on my melee EV chars to eliminate the threat of ranged, non-caster enemies; but I cannot deny that it was OP), but I'm sure I'll be able to compensate.

I just don't know if I want to try Tempest or Warbands first.

Deleted
    I'd recommend going for Warbands first. With so many changes it's probably better to play a while without the risk of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziddy View Post
    I'd recommend going for Warbands first. With so many changes it's probably better to play a while without the risk of death.
    Where's the fun in that? I know the HC challenge leagues are usually overtuned, but I loved Invasion when it first started, some of those bosses were ridiculous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Where's the fun in that? I know the HC challenge leagues are usually overtuned, but I loved Invasion when it first started, some of those bosses were ridiculous.
    Well they have some new net code in place, so if that fails, say buh-bye to your HC character. Then again, if you've played HC characters online all your life, you should know that's the stupidity of doing so in the first place; most deaths come from lag and internet fails.

Well I'm ready for launch in 35 mins

I'm gonna try Warbands out first then maybe move onto hardcore
    Blizzard White Knighting is not allowed

Deleted
    Does anyone know which quests you get these new gems from? Patch Notes doesn´t seem to mention it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude From Denmark View Post
    Does anyone know which quests you get these new gems from? Patch Notes doesn´t seem to mention it.
    http://cb.poedb.tw/us/quest.php?c=reward

link text is quest rewards and the normal text is gems you can buy from a vendor after you complete that quest. Or so I think it is atleast.

6500 people in front of me in que, gg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post
    http://cb.poedb.tw/us/quest.php?c=reward

link text is quest rewards and the normal text is gems you can buy from a vendor after you complete that quest. Or so I think it is atleast.
    Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at Act 4s questline i wonder why it´s so short compared to the other acts.

Because its a shit ton of boss fights

Kaom's area is really long, and Daresso's can also take a while depending on you quickly you can clear the grand arenas. Act 4 is probably one of the longer acts all in all.

It's a lot of patch notes. Like a lot.

Almost got one shotted by normal mode Malachai with 1800 health. Well played GGG.

New boss fights are sadly ruined by the small space to fight them in. I love the mechanics and concepts of the fights but the execution is lacking when they are put in such small rooms where player skill is negated down to pure RNG or impossibility to negate said mechanics. This goes especially for Malachi but also for Piety and Shavronne.

Happy I rolled SC for this...

On a happier note, I finally got to claim my account name as a character name as well.

So I'm just about to start this game.

Any advice for a complete newbie to PoE?

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    New boss fights are sadly ruined by the small space to fight them in.
    The second form/hearts phase- yea, totally. It's kinda made worse too for me by the spiky performance issues. Like the smoke/fog rendering drops my frame rate a lot.

The explosions in the heart phase are kinda unfair too because you can get stuck on tiny bit of geometry between the edge of the platform. Often meaning you have to eat the explosive blast and the tentacle rape.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Any advice for a complete newbie to PoE?
    You are going to die at some in the game for a "bullshit" reason. Get over it.

The game is going to feel rather slow for a long time until gear of actual significance is acquired. It's a very fast game but not initially so.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The second form/hearts phase- yea, totally. It's kinda made worse too for me by the spiky performance issues. Like the smoke/fog rendering drops my frame rate a lot.

The explosions in the heart phase are kinda unfair too because you can get stuck on tiny bit of geometry between the edge of the platform. Often meaning you have to eat the explosive blast and the tentacle rape.

- - - Updated - - -

You are going to die at some in the game for a "bullshit" reason. Get over it.

The game is going to feel rather slow for a long time until gear of actual significance is acquired. It's a very fast game but not initially so.
    Not really afraid of dying...

Was just asking for general build advice / leagues to play and such.

As a new player you should go straight into Warbands or Tempest. Warbands is softcore and Tempest is hardcore.

Building is really so broad that you can do anything with it. I'd say to just play the game and try to find skills you like, then build around them. You can use the wiki to find gems which support those skills.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Fear isn't an issue. Frustration will be. The game punishes ignorance harshly. There are people that have played for 1000s of hours and lose months of progress in mere seconds due to overlooking a mechanic, miscalculating the values of X or Y defense or encountering a combination of modifiers- "bullshit".

The game is expressly designed for you to fail given enough time. Part of the transitory nature of the game. It is to that aspect I was speaking toward.

Play the softcore default seasonal league. There is no other option worth discussing really.

New players are often advised to look up builds on the forums; where the most active theory and build crafting takes place. However, I do not totally agree with this advice because I feel many forum build require advance game knowledge &/or a lot of hyper specific gearing that further requires a certain mastery of the economics of POE.

Truthfully, I think a new player should just simply consign themselves to the possibility a few attempts are going to end poorly and build whatever they like. This I think develops in a player a solid framework of how the skill tree works, what they might need to have on gear and how gear works, etc. Just fuss with the game a bit in a non-serious way, so to speak.

Then take a stab with firm footing at one of the forum builds for "newbies" (spoiler: "newbie" builds on the forum are often not really so). Perhaps more advanced EDGEMASTER builds thereafter, and further your own builds.

The official forums and the wiki are where the bulk of your online time should be for this game. Offline, you should be pouring over the tree and spreadsheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Fear isn't an issue. Frustration will be. The game punishes ignorance harshly. There are people that have played for 1000s of hours and lose months of progress in mere seconds due to overlooking a mechanic, miscalculating the values of X or Y defense or encountering a combination of modifiers- "bullshit".

The game is expressly designed for you to fail given enough time. Part of the transitory nature of the game. It is to that aspect I was speaking toward.

Play the softcore default seasonal league. There is no other option worth discussing really.

New players are often advised to look up builds on the forums; where the most active theory and build crafting takes place. However, I do not totally agree with this advice because I feel many forum build require advance game knowledge &/or a lot of hyper specific gearing that further requires a certain mastery of the economics of POE.

Truthfully, I think a new player should just simply consign themselves to the possibility a few attempts are going to end poorly and build whatever they like. This I think develops in a player a solid framework of how the skill tree works, what they might need to have on gear and how gear works, etc. Just fuss with the game a bit in a non-serious way, so to speak.

Then take a stab with firm footing at one of the forum builds for "newbies" (spoiler: "newbie" builds on the forum are often not really so). Perhaps more advanced EDGEMASTER builds thereafter, and further your own builds.

The official forums and the wiki are where the bulk of your online time should be for this game. Offline, you should be pouring over the tree and spreadsheets.
    That's more like it.

Thanks!