Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Solving World Hunger

How would you do it?

Personally i think a good way to start would be, ALL restaurants at the end of the day DONATE all left over food to food banks to be refridgerated and devied out to free food lines for the homeless and starving.

This would solve major hunger in most major cities and even outlier cities.

As for the starving kids in Africa, everyone generously donate 5 dollars in whatever currency you use, once a year toward food. Problem solved.

Thoughts?

Deleted
    Give a starving man a fish, he'll eat one day.
    Teach him how to fish, he'll eat for ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I forget the exact statistic, but it has to do with the fact that we feed 1 cow x amount of food to produce y amount of meat.

X ends up being like 10 times greater than y.

Basically we feed animals a lot more food than they produce. Instead of feeding the livestock, feed the people.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

As for the starving kids in Africa, everyone generously donate 5 dollars in whatever currency you use, once a year toward food. Problem solved.
    The problem with most thirdworld countries being fed is they're run by nasty leaders who mistreat their people. Get rid of them, help that society be self producing (teaching to fish analogy up there) and you can save lives abundantly, just from knowledge.

Leftover? Like uncooked food? Some food items are kept for days or even weeks, just like in your refrigerator at home. Force a restaurant to give it all away every day and you will soon have no restaurants.

Do you mean uneaten prepared food by customers? That's highly unsanitary.

Where did you do the math about how much food you would get and how many people need it that leads you to conclude that would solve it in cities?

The Africa thing, come on dude. If $30 billion a year could solve hunger in Africa it would be solved.

World hunger will never be eliminated any more than you will eliminate all crime or all prejudice. Nor, in my opinion, should it be society's mission to devote all resources towards feeding an exponentially growing world population. That would be doomed to fail even if the dependents didn't grow much faster than the producers.

Deleted
    The truth is..
    Last edited by mmoc18049c7cff; 2012-07-02 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowbaq View Post
    Nowadays, this is considered right-wing extremism. Why do you hate the poor? Why do you want them all to die? Why do you want to watch children starve to death?

Deleted
    Solving hunger will be the end of the world.

If our leaders truely wanted to help hunger, we could do it with no problem. The sad truth is that our leaders don't want it to happen, they know that if we were to help them we'd get overrun by immigrants and the population of the world would also reach the sky and the planet would be in a very bad state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Leftover? Like uncooked food? Some food items are kept for days or even weeks, just like in your refrigerator at home. Force a restaurant to give it all away every day and you will soon have no restaurants.

Do you mean uneaten prepared food by customers? That's highly unsanitary.

Where did you do the math about how much food you would get and how many people need it that leads you to conclude that would solve it in cities?

The Africa thing, come on dude. If $30 billion a year could solve hunger in Africa it would be solved.

World hunger will never be eliminated any more than you will eliminate all crime or all prejudice. Nor, in my opinion, should it be society's mission to devote all resources towards feeding an exponentially growing world population. That would be doomed to fail even if the dependents didn't grow much faster than the producers.
    No im talking about all the prepared food that just gets thrown out because they want to have fresh food the next day for their customers. Think about all the pizza, breadsticks, chicken, pasta, hotdogs, hamburgers, mexican food, etc that just gets thrown away. A lot of good it would do to donate that to food banks. Ya know, like refrigeration it?

Deleted
    Taking Africa as an example of extreme lack of food, it's not that there is no food on that continent. Some of the countries in Africa have the most fertile land on earth!

It is however a fault of those in power preventing the people from having access to the provisions required to have a healthy agricultural system.

That coupled with lack of education (to become independent) causes starvation.

I've witnessed many-a-time food being sent to Africa, the people never receive it. Warlord(s) hoard it and kill civilians to obtain it.

Who needs money to exert power when you have the ability to restrict the very thing that keeps you alive at your disposal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nowadays, this is considered right-wing extremism. Why do you hate the poor? Why do you want them all to die? Why do you want to watch children starve to death?
    I know right!? Liberal agendas want to keep people in poverty and living off the government to ensure their power and people voting for them. I agree with teaching people to be self sufficient.

Subsidize to help people get on (or back on) their feet.

Cure cancers, solving world hunger... Why? It's the World's way to balance the population. We are too many as it is. Solving World hunger will increase our populations by alot, and It is a BAD thing. We need to reduce our population. Cancer is one of the reason why it is exist, to reduce the population, dont cure cancer. If I get cancer, so be it. I wouldnt want it cured, I'd take it like man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't take long for this to turn into a political thread. Just answer the question and move on bro.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

World hunger is among the problems that will never be solved. We can make an impact though.

For Africa you need to stabilize the region, and get rid of warlords/militant groups/corrupt governments. To just keep sending food to Africa is never going to fix the problem.

giving food to africa will only make the problem worse.

providing free food means that its not economical to farm food, so they farm commercial crops like cotton or in most cases drugs.

the more food we give them the less they make for themselves. that combined with the catholic pushing no contraception on them, and the social standard of pushing out as many kids as you can as fast as you can, means that they will stay poor and starving for the foreseeable future.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    World hunger is among the problems that will never be solved. We can make an impact though.
    We shouldn't though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailozh View Post
    We shouldn't though.
    Thats pretty thoughtless, why wouldnt you want to help people, even if it is to teach people how to be self sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowbaq View Post
    I'd like to teach a man to live close to where there is fish, rather than sand. Millions of square miles of fucking sand.

Starvation in poor countries has nothing to do with us eating meat either. This isn't a "not enough food in the world" problem. It's a "we own all the food and would rather pile it up and stare at it than give it out to those that actually need it" problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailozh View Post
    We shouldn't though.
    Yeah I just threw that in there so I wouldn't appear heartless. Not that you appear that way >.>