Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The easiest way to solve world hunger would be to butcher 2/3 of the world's cattle right off. It takes 12 lbs of grain to produce 1 lb of beef, and with grain producing twice the workable energy and nutrition of the beef, you'd first cut the united state's bad emissions by 40%...yes 40%. Effectively freeing up 2/3 of the grain to be chopped into breads or something human nourishment. Also giving all that beef as a protein and fat supplement for all those people. With the extra grain and room from removing all the cattle, we could farm more grains to feed more people more effectively. This would, of course, increase the costs of beef exponentially for the average joe. While I do love me some beef, I could do without if I knew it kept the world in a better place.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailozh View Post
    We shouldn't though.
    While we are at it, let's stop looking for cures for diseases, or pulling people out of burning buildings, or performing CPR on anyone that needs it.

Same line of logic.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    For Africa you need to stabilize the region, and get rid of warlords/militant groups/corrupt governments. To just keep sending food to Africa is never going to fix the problem.
    removing warlords wont fix it as much as you think. This is a continent filled with tribes that were forced into boundaries and forced to coexist. The problem is these ethnicities and tribes dont want to cooperate with each other cause they havent gotten along forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowbaq View Post
    Give a starving man a fish, he'll eat one day.
    Teach him how to fish, he'll eat for ever.
    Not with the way our oceans are going, he'll eat for a few more decades.

Restaurants don't really throw food away unless it's unsanitary / improperly cooked. Very rarely and then only if an employee messes up, it's their bottom line too. I presume a kid in Africa would like some pine nuts that are almost burnt to a crisp, but even a homeless dude would turn them down.

Starving kids in Africa have survived for thousands of years, why is it a huge deal all of a sudden? Pretty sure they'll be ok.

Super Water Gel; allows farming in the dry areas:
    http://www.superwatergel.com/home.html
    http://farooqis2cool.hubpages.com/hu...ted-Solid-Rain

Farming on a thin film of polymers:
    http://www.agricel.co/advantages.html
    Which can be used extensively in fully automated flat-farms:
    http://www.thevenusproject.com/

Which will also benefit flat-farming for live-stock. We need to get away from the idea that livestock should be treated as naturally as possible. What we should focus on is threefold:
    -Animal health and quality of life
    -Least possible impact on the environment
    -Largest benefit for humans
    Using self-sufficient livestock flat-buildings powered by solar power and wind energy, immediately processing waste products into useful material will solve a lot of our problems.

We have the technology to easily solve all of our problems, food-wise. The problem is that doing so is incredibly unprofitable, since the eradication of a market scarcity will cause the market value of food products to plummet. In other words: If we want to really solve world hunger, we first need to come up with a better system than capitalism.

Edit:
    It takes 12 lbs of grain to produce 1 lb of beef, and with grain producing twice the workable energy and nutrition of the beef
    Not really... Little experiment today:
    I've eaten two plates of rice. Two plates of rice did not give me the satisfaction that one egg provided. The one egg filled me up more than the two plates of rice.
    I'm sorry to say, but only a select and happy few of the human populace really don't need animal products. A select and very unhappy few actually need a large amount of animal protein in their diet to remain healthy.
    But don't let human health get in the way of vegan propaganda.
    Last edited by Stir; 2012-07-03 at 12:00 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Thats pretty thoughtless, why wouldnt you want to help people, even if it is to teach people how to be self sufficient?
    How is it thoughtless? You do realise what would happen if we kept them all alive and they kept reproducing like crazy? I'm not saying I don't want to help those poor kids, I truely do, the sad truth is we can't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I forget the exact statistic, but it has to do with the fact that we feed 1 cow x amount of food to produce y amount of meat.

X ends up being like 10 times greater than y.

Basically we feed animals a lot more food than they produce. Instead of feeding the livestock, feed the people.
    It's really a shame because of all that delicious grass =(

BTT: It's easy. Build wells in every African village and give them semen. Besides, stop jerks propagating that genetically improved food with genes (OMG!) is bad in any way.
    Last edited by mmoc71680805c6; 2012-07-02 at 11:57 PM.

Deleted
    lol...
    There is no world hunger "problem" since there is no food shortage. The problem is that it is not "profitable" to feed the people who are hungry. There is no lack of food, go to the supermarket, the shelves are full. And there's another just around the corner and another...

If rulers (politicians) wanted they could make hunger disappear, they do not want to. First because they want more money so they can invest more money to have more money and second because if everyone were well fed and lived well the population would explode and then we would have food shortage issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    As for the starving kids in Africa, everyone generously donate 5 dollars in whatever currency you use, once a year toward food. Problem solved.
    Africans — and others in the third world — are starving because they live in lawless or repressive places ruled by violent people who generally take and keep whatever of value for themselves.

Others have already pointed this out, but it cannot be understated. Dial up Freedom House's website and learn about just how lucky we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailozh View Post
    Solving hunger will be the end of the world.

If our leaders truely wanted to help hunger, we could do it with no problem. The sad truth is that our leaders don't want it to happen, they know that if we were to help them we'd get overrun by immigrants and the population of the world would also reach the sky and the planet would be in a very bad state.
    This is pretty spot on for me.
    The rich can EASILY help solve it too yet they want 20 different cars 3 mansions etc basically wasting money instead of puting it to use.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    The rich can EASILY help solve it too yet they want 20 different cars 3 mansions etc basically wasting money instead of puting it to use.
    Why shouldn't people be allowed to spend their money on whatever they want?

Deleted
    I remember reading an article in my own country about a homeless man getting arrested and put in jail for taking food out of a trash container outside a supermarket. They always throw stuff away about a day before the experiation date... foodbanks don't get it, homeless people can't take it.. it's retarded.

As for the "teach a man to fish" story... there aren't enough fish in the ocean to feed the entire world these days and hunting ? Sorry, maybe in some countries but one wouldn't survive in mine. Just stop throwing away food and you'd get extremely far.

Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    removing warlords wont fix it as much as you think. This is a continent filled with tribes that were forced into boundaries and forced to coexist. The problem is these ethnicities and tribes dont want to cooperate with each other cause they havent gotten along forever.
    Nothing that a little genocide couldn't solve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    As for the "teach a man to fish" story...
    It's just a figure of speech, not "fish" literally. Just make starving people self sufficient. Don't enslave them to the food we deign to give 'em. Help them grow and irrigate their crops, look after their cattle, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolman View Post
    Cure cancers, solving world hunger... Why? It's the World's way to balance the population. We are too many as it is. Solving World hunger will increase our populations by alot, and It is a BAD thing. We need to reduce our population. Cancer is one of the reason why it is exist, to reduce the population, dont cure cancer. If I get cancer, so be it. I wouldnt want it cured, I'd take it like man.
    Cancer used to be an unheard of disease before the industrial revolution that began pumping a shitload of toxins into the air.

These toxins from coal and gas are the reason that cancer rates and asthma are at an all time high.

There was some big study on it that I will try to find for you.

Oh and longer lives = higher risk of cancer.

---------- Post added 2012-07-03 at 12:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    Why don't you go ahead and become rich and make millions of dollars a year in excess and [strike] waste[/strike] donate to africa.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19899...t-helping.html

this seems relevant aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    While we are at it, let's stop looking for cures for diseases, or pulling people out of burning buildings, or performing CPR on anyone that needs it.

Same line of logic.
    Sending food to Africa is more akin to performing CPR on a mummy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Carpet bomb all the starving nations with nukes. No more world hunger?

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually wrote a paper about this in college. My suggestion was to turn anyone with a physical or mental disability into food. Fewer people to need food and more food to eat. Of course, the very broad definition of "disability" leads to everyone being killed in the end but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Omertocracy View Post
    I actually wrote a paper about this in college. My suggestion was to turn anyone with a physical or mental disability into food. Fewer people to need food and more food to eat. Of course, the very broad definition of "disability" leads to everyone being killed in the end but still...
    And your score? Or we're you arrested for insanity?

---------- Post added 2012-07-03 at 07:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by User007 View Post
    lol...
    There is no world hunger "problem" since there is no food shortage. The problem is that it is not "profitable" to feed the people who are hungry. There is no lack of food, go to the supermarket, the shelves are full. And there's another just around the corner and another...

If rulers (politicians) wanted they could make hunger disappear, they do not want to. First because they want more money so they can invest more money to have more money and second because if everyone were well fed and lived well the population would explode and then we would have food shortage issues.
    We're talking about 'world' hunger when in reality extreme starvation in limited to few selected counties. I don't doubt that 85 year old Fred in the Uk in struggling to feed himself or some village in remote India had a bad crop but that's nothing to do with a food shortage, it's to do with poverty and bad luck, that could be addressed and fixed in a number of ways.

So I agree with you first point.

I don't think for a moment there is some mass conspiracy theory where the rich keep the poor poor just so they can eat more better beef. Take Africa, we (the West) just don't really give a damm and why should it be our responsibility to fix all the worlds wrongs. Take Zimbabwe, it used to feed Africa and Mugabe ruined it, it shows Africa has the potential to mass produce and feed the people, it's tyrants and incompetent rulers who ensure that does not happen.

Not some grand scheme set by Western govt's.
    WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arganaut View Post
    And your score? Or we're you arrested for insanity?
    100%, and the "arrest" for insanity came later and was mostly unrelated.