Poll: Are men's rights, issues, and concerns being given less respect than those of women?

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I'm straight white americanand male. I have PLENTY to worry about. Mainly concerning things along the lines of work and social issues. I have asbergers and i admit that makes me a pseudo minority(note the PSEUDO) however it is still PC to make jokes that insult us among other things. We still have some pretty bad issues mainly with aklot of people not getting us or being biased against us. So no being a straight white male does NOT mean an easy ride. In fact depending on where you are socially and economically it may very well be harder than for some lets say black women simp0ly because they may have had a better start in life.

It ALL depnds on the individual and not by some classification system. And this is coming froma guy who beleives that most races of humans may very well be varying subspecies.
    I don't wish to seem offensive dude, but when I describe average white american, I mean ones without any problems they have to deal with, real issues like the ones you mention and have to live with. I can speak about such examples to since I suffer from ocd, have diabetes and not exactly slim. So like you theres a lot of day to day shit to deal with. But what i mean are the average people without problems who don't have a clue what it means to live under a minority because of the average mans perception of them.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I was about to have some positive comments, but any desire to provide them went away with this one. Sympathy tends to dry up when you express overtly racist sentiments predicated on pseudoscience.
    Do you even KNOW what a subspecies is? A subspecies is a differentation method between genetically compatable entities. For insatnce we are currently the only know form of Homo Sapien Sapiens yet others existed alongside us. My statement is NOT racist(hell i honetsly don't give a flying fuck about ANYONES skin color) though i rarely share it because so many people simply don;t undertsand what i mean and start screaming racism. Each group of humans has a slightly different set of egentic and evolutionary traits influenced by environment and other hominid species they interbred with(no one of PURE 100% african blood would have Neanderthal DNA for instance). I just calll it as i see it regardless of how offensive it comes across as. I just wish more people could as well.

---------- Post added 2012-07-24 at 12:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I don't wish to seem offensive dude, but when I describe average white american, I mean ones without any problems they have to deal with, real issues like the ones you mention and have to live with. I can speak about such examples to since I suffer from ocd, have diabetes and not exactly slim. So like you theres a lot of day to day shit to deal with. But what i mean are the average people without problems who don't have a clue what it means to live under a minority because of the average mans perception of them.
    LOL diabetic here as well. Working on that though. And i guess i see what you mean but just remember that everyone no matter how common has their own problems.

Do you even KNOW what a subspecies is? A subspecies is a differentation method between genetically compatable entities. For insatnce we are currently the only know form of Homo Sapien Sapiens yet others existed alongside us. My statement is NOT racist(hell i honetsly don't give a flying fuck about ANYONES skin color) though i rarely share it because so many people simply don;t undertsand what i mean and start screaming racism. Each group of humans has a slightly different set of egentic and evolutionary traits influenced by environment and other hominid species they interbred with(no one of PURE 100% african blood would have Neanderthal DNA for instance). I just calll it as i see it regardless of how offensive it comes across as. I just wish more people could as well.
    There's literally zero valid scientific criteria for considering races to be "subspecies". If you think there is, you've failed to understand how genetically similar all humans are. I'm not screaming racism, I'm tell you that your comments are racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's literally zero valid scientific criteria for considering races to be "subspecies". If you think there is, you've failed to understand how genetically similar all humans are. I'm not screaming racism, I'm tell you that your comments are racist.
    AT most on record a .06% difference if i recall right could be a .6%. However considering that a say bonobo is about a 1% difference a chimp a 2% difference and a fruit fly a mere 7%(IF i recall right) difference then i think most people underestimate how LITTLE it takes to create a SIGNIFICANT difference and that that should be taken into account as well.

Also race is also a scientific term(under the subspecies classification). Now from what i can tell MANY groups have wqualities that could apply for subspecies traits(such as those from mountain regions who evolved unsuually large lungs among MANY others), I say that our fear of both the classic "superior group" syndrome and the clssic american as well as religious fear of evolution are affecting things more than we'd like to think.
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2012-07-24 at 12:21 AM.

The amount of white privileged males crying in this thread is hilarious.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

OP. I'm gay. You want to talk about rights being ignored by other people then try on my shoes.

Basic straight white american men have nothing to complain about, they don't ever have to feel like a minority cast down by others just for being who they are.

I can't even kiss another man or compliment how hot another guy looks in public without some level of ridicule, so yeah, not caring what this thread was about.
    So because you belong to an often discriminated social group it's fine to dismiss issues that other social groups might have?

Being a straight white male (not american, though), I feel that I have a LOT to complain about. And the thing that affects me and my social group the most, is the notion that we shouldn't be allowed to complain, just for being the majority. Being in the majority doesn't protect you from discrimination.

The amount of white privileged males crying in this thread is hilarious.
    Posts like this prove my point. This IS discrimination.

The fact is, no discrimination issue is going to be properly addressed if people keep on with an eye for an eye. You can't fix sexism against women without fixing sexism against men at the same time. You can't fix discrimination against black people without fixing discrimination against white people. And etc. When you simply focus on the issues of a certain group, the opposite group is going to feel unfairly treated for not having their issues addressed. What happens? they retaliate, and blame the other group.

Not only that, but stereotypes are a double edged blade. The way of thinking isn't "Women are X". The way of thinking is "Women are X while men are Y". There are always comparisons to be made, and so, discrimination can't be fixed if you don't take both groups into account.

Besides, if you don't feel empathy towards other people's issues, why should anyone feel empathy for you?
    Last edited by Knight Gil; 2012-07-24 at 12:27 AM.

So many cries of racism because of political correctness. Not exploring an avenue like that because you percieve it be racist, when there are obvious differences among different groups of people is just blindingly short sighted. It would give us a better understanding of humanity. Egalitarianism is a ridiculous idea whether is deals with different sex or different race. You may argue that everyone is capable, which I would agree. But at what capacity, I'm a white male, but I wouldn't last a day in Harvard's Freshman Honors math course. That course is almost exclusivley Ashkenazi Jew and Asian and 99% male. Can culture explain away all of that? I don't think so. Why do blacks dominate professional sports and the entertainment industry? Can culture explain that away too? It would behoove mankind to explore those avenues as to what make us different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by riseoftheuk View Post
    Plus look at what Thatcher did to the UK in her time in power.
    Stupidest point ever made, IMO.

Thatcher was one of the UK's best peacetime PMs, ever. Didn't deserve the recent, bizarre hatchet-job starring Meryl Streep, depicting her as a dementia-stricken woman dependant on her husband and indifferent towards her children in earlier life. Everyone involved with 'The Iron Lady' ought to be ashamed of themselves.

One of Thatcher's best achievements, aside from promoting the creation of businesses and jobs, increasing levels of wealth for all (but, to the scandalous disgust of those opposite the chambers, increasing the gap between socioeconomic tiers), was to prove that a woman can be successful, achieve the highest office possible, and do it all without embracing the ridiculous notions of "sisterhood" and "girl power".
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Quote Originally Posted by bellabulldog View Post
    So many cries of racism because of political correctness. Not exploring an avenue like that because you percieve it be racist, when there are obvious differences among different groups of people is just blindingly short sighted. It would give us a better understanding of humanity. Egalitarianism is a ridiculous idea whether is deals with different sex or different race. You may argue that everyone is capable, which I would agree. But at what capacity, I'm a white male, but I wouldn't last a day in Harvard's Freshman Honors math course. That course is almost exclusivley Ashkenazi Jew and Asian and 99% male. Can culture explain away all of that? I don't think so. Why do blacks dominate professional sports and the entertainment industry? Can culture explain that away too? It would behoove mankind to explore those avenues as to what make us different.
    Throwing out various red herrings isn't actually an argument.

Yes. Just go look at the reaction to female circumcision compared to male circumcision.

The first thing women think when they see their baby boy for the first time is "where's my knife...."

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for understanding my overall point. If i am truly wrong then so be it. But as it is the differences just seem a bit too great. Even som parts of our skeletons are different.

---------- Post added 2012-07-24 at 03:19 AM ----------

He ubderstood my overall point though. Which is that when you preclude somethibg as being possible or even looking into it for a reason as silly as political correctness you have given up as a true scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by Redfingers View Post
    Yes. Just go look at the reaction to female circumcision compared to male circumcision.

The first thing women think when they see their baby boy for the first time is "where's my knife...."
    While both are nasty procedures, there's an obvious difference - male circumcision doesn't exist specifically to deny men sexual pleasure. Circumcised men are no less capable of having orgasms than uncircumcised men.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    OP. I'm gay. You want to talk about rights being ignored by other people then try on my shoes.

Basic straight white american men have nothing to complain about, they don't ever have to feel like a minority cast down by others just for being who they are.

I can't even kiss another man or compliment how hot another guy looks in public without some level of ridicule, so yeah, not caring what this thread was about.
    The "I have it worse so shut up" argument doesn't hold much water in a serious debate.

Lots of sexists on a gaming forum - I'm not nearly as surprised as I should be, sadly.

What I'm saying is that it is a travesty to dismiss science in the name of political correctness.

He ubderstood my overall point though. Which is that when you preclude somethibg as being possible or even looking into it for a reason as silly as political correctness you have given up as a true scientist.
    You claimed that humans consist of multiple subspecies, which is a radical claim, and provided not a shred of supporting evidence. Link a peer-reviewed journal article suggesting you're correct, I'll eat my words.

---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 11:34 PM ----------

What I'm saying is that it is a travesty to dismiss science in the name of political correctness.
    No, it's a travesty to buy into pseudoscience as a result of a desire to legitimize racist feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really wish we could focus on achieving equality instead of maintaining that different people deserve different treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post

This one is EPIC

10+ Year Old Account
    Saying this as a guy: There is a place for and a point to feminism, and anti-feminism is usally nothing more than casual armchair mysogony. Even 40 years ago gender inequality was far more rampant than it is today.

That said though, it's like anything. I don't support quotas for any kind of minority or gender in any walk of life, be it anything from company boards or employee numbers or TV ensemble casts. The best kind of world comes from a level playing field where everyone has a chance to choose an education, make life choices free of discrimination and advance in life through true meritocracy (i.e. you are actually the best person for the job).

Any time feminism is used as a bludgeon for a specific agendaa I would fight it with every fibre of my being... But most of the time guys moaning about feminism is no different than belonging to a skinhead gang. Skinhead gangs typically consist of young, white males living in one of the best economies in the world pissing and moaning about how all the immigrants are stealing the jobs they can't be arsed going out and doing anyway.

It's like anything. no black or white.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

You claimed that humans consist of multiple subspecies, which is a radical claim, and provided not a shred of supporting evidence. Link a peer-reviewed journal article suggesting you're correct, I'll eat my words.

---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 11:34 PM ----------

No, it's a travesty to buy into pseudoscience as a result of a desire to legitimize racist feelings.
    I'm no more racist that you are. Do you deny the difference between a great dane and chihuahua? They can interbreed and produce offspring, does that mean they are capable of the same thing and share the same charateristics? I don't believe that science can be racist.