Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Inval1d View Post
    Because Vanilla WoW had so much end game from the start...
    It had some unlike gw2 and they kept adding more and more. From brd lbrs ubrs to mc bwl aq naxx. On the other hand gw2 attitude is all game is end game, which I disagree.

Gw2 gives the impression that players are expected to repeat low level content since it scales. To me that is boring repetition.

No need to be anal about it when we say there is no end game.

I love playing gw2, exploring and leveling are super fun. However when all content is gone, not sure if I will stick around. Again, great game but no end game.
    Last edited by killidan; 2012-08-27 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    It had some unlike gw2 and they kept adding more and more. From brd lbrs ubrs to mc bwl aq naxx. On the other hand gw2 attitude is all game is end game, which I disagree.

Gw2 gives the impression that players are expected to repeat low level content since it scales. To me that is boring repetition.

No new to be anal about it when we say there is no end game.

I love playing gw2, exploring and leveling ate super fun. However when all content is gone, not sure if I will stick around. Again, great game but no end game.
    Why do people insist that end game == raiding? GW2 has, at the very smallest subset, Orr and explorable dungeons. Plus there are legendaries to create, which require 200 skill points each.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by otro View Post
    Thats exactly what pushed SWTOR players away... in one month, rushing 80 or not, if no end game is provided then ppl will start leaving.
    Because the absolutely abysmal PvP and terrible profession/crafting system had no part in it.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Quote Originally Posted by Daffkeeks View Post
    even if gw2 will fail, I would never return to WoW.
    I feel the same way, kungfu panda Pokemon FarmVille lfr mogging not for me

Let's not take jabs at other games please. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-08-27 at 09:15 PM.

I love playing gw2, exploring and leveling ate super fun. However when all content is gone, not sure if I will stick around. Again, great game but no end game.
    Well they've suggested they'll always be dropping content into the game and expansions will be a regular event too. So perhaps it won't be such a content void as some expect. You never know.. maybe if there is a lot of demand, they'll introduce some form of end game dungeons.

PS, which server are you on? I'm sure I kept running into a Killidan today on a US server. First human zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    The entire game is the end game... You're not supposed to rush to max level.
    Once you do, however? It is inevitable one way or another...

I feel the same way, kungfu panda Pokemon FarmVille lfr mogging not for me
    Also... just saying you will not return is enough! No need for the childish remarks!
    Last edited by ~Valen~; 2012-08-27 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Valen~ View Post
    Once you do there's still content. You're just not "forced" to do it to stay competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Thing is only fraction of players in WoW actually raid ... well fraction 1/3 after introduction of LFR I believe. For the rest the boring leveling of WoW and 5 mans is what it's about. And GW2 has plenty to offer in that regard. On top of that if ANET makes expansions fast like in GW1 ... that's gg.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but they don't design games to appeal to people who blow through content. They don't need to captivate you into logging on every single day. These games are really driven to people who want something a little different, but just like WoW, to the casual players.

Their strategy for retaining business will come with rapid expansion releases only. Think of this like a multiplayer game design, framed as an MMO - for the large scale it is on. There is only an 'end' to the game when you no longer enjoy going to all the zones and seeing new events, or having cosmetic outfits and such.

People need to realize that since this game has no subscription fee, they should be comparing it to games like Skyrim and other games, not other MMOs. They do not need to keep feeding you excuses for content, b/c you are not paying them every month. You get a vibrant world where you can interact with other people and affect change on a larger scale than any console game out there, for the same price.

once you do, however? It is inevitable one way or another...
    once you do what? Hit level 80? There is still content only for level 80's not only that you can go to old content you past, get level 80 rewards and exp for skill points and be scaled down to that level to still be competitive.

END GAME =/= RAIDING IN GW2. Even Rift, TSW, and WoW have alternatives to raiding that counts as end game. Not as effective as what GW2 is going for but its still endgame.

If you want end game raiding this isn't the game for you. People jump into this game not researching or anything, just jumping the hype train and they are responding exactly when people "heard" about it before release. You know what those people are doing now? Enjoying the game because they now understand the game before jumping the gun.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-27 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    People need to realize that since this game has no subscription fee, they should be comparing it to games like Skyrim and other games, not other MMOs. They do not need to keep feeding you excuses for content, b/c you are not paying them every month. You get a vibrant world where you can interact with other people and affect change on a larger scale than any console game out there, for the same price.
    This is pretty much my sentiment.

It is hard to put into words, but the PvE portion of GW2 seems to feel more like a single-player RPG that I can play co-op with friends, but also see other people playing it at the same time (and occasionally interacting with them). The difference being, that the game is structured like an MMO (classes, professions, zones with different levels as opposed to scaling content based on your own level, though there is downscaling...).

But then, I can whip over and use all my finely honed skills to play the largest PvP map since DaoC, and throw down some objective based 5v5.

All with no sub fee. Its wins all around.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Quote Originally Posted by Schroedinger View Post
    Flame? Nope, we are not wow-fans. After reading your post I am glad you didnt like it and I hope you stay with WOW for a long time.

To the topic:

Yes, ANET did a real good job, they have proven to be bold and innovative, not stealing ideas from others or recycle the same gameplay style for years. The ban wave for the bad language makes me happy, as it shows they truly care for the product and most of all for their community, which is not in the position of a milking cow, but a partner. Their communication surpasses anything I have seen yet from a mmo developer by miles and their passion and creative energy is felt in each inch of the game. I love the fact that the lore is more... intelligent and truly fantasy like and that the whole game is really based on skill and not on class or gear.

I truly hope they will hold up this standard for a long time as I am ready to support them in any way possible for this amazing piece of art and entertainment.
    Glad that you are staying grounded and objective in your "analysis" of the game. As a little experiment, replace "ANET" with "Blizzard' and "WOW" with "GW2" in your post and read it out loud. Does it sound the least bit fanatical to you???

New game being heralded as the greatest MMO ever while still in early release. Deja-vu . . .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolman View Post
    It both have and have not an end game. Arena net is not focusing on end game. People has their mindset that they have to rush to the end game. Guild wars 2 is all about exploration and adventure, not racing to the end game.

If you are all about end game, you will be disappointed.
    People won't be disappointed by the endgame, there are 8x4 dungeons that are alot more challenging than other games especially WoW. story mode is equivalent of cata heroics pre-nerf, explorable mode is alot harder, the devs and testers haven't been able to beat the level 80 explorable modes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also... just saying you will not return is enough! No need for the childish remarks!
    To be fair, people say a lot of childish/stupid things about not wanting to play GW2 or why it will supposedly fail, as well. I think he makes a rather valid point, just to point out that everybody can belittle everybody's game of choice.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Most of these threads I take with a grain of salt.

Every new MMO has people screaming "BEST NEW GAME EVAR!!!!" for its first 2-3weeks, and then it sinks in that it is really nothing special, and people start slowly dipping away from it.

It happens with all games these days, this game is no different. Thus far only 2 days into headstart I have already had about half the people in my Guild that left for Headstart log back on WoW and say things along the lines of "Ehh its an alright game, nothing special." Most of these people are GW1 Veterans aswell.

I'm going to give this game about 2-3 months before I even contemplate buying it, just to see how well it "holds" people. But after what I felt in BWE I'm unsure if I really even want to pay for the game.
    GM and a couple of my other guildies said the same thing. But i hope for a long life cycle for Gw2, because all in all, its a different game. This'll bring overall betterment to the genre

It looks like the 'endgame' I'll be participating in once I hit 80 will be identical to what I have been doing already: DE's, Exploring, Crafting and Dungeons. All of which I am thoroughly enjoying. I havn't eve touched the pvp side yet and that looks good too.

One of the things that has put me off WoW, Swtor etc is that once a map is complete there is no reason to go back there unless you are 'lucky' enough that the developers throw in some max level daily quest zone. Since I stopped raiding I just want to actually play the game out *in the world* but nothing caters to me doing so.

WoW 80-85 zones are beautiful, packed with character and great environments but I just fly around in them with nothing to do, feeling quite sad at the fact.

GW2 excites me because I can pick any zone I want that I found interesting and go there and do level relevant stuff.......and that is brilliant.

WoW has been adding stuff for 7 years. Why do people expect a game to add 7 years of content on launch?

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Sorry, but they don't design games to appeal to people who blow through content. They don't need to captivate you into logging on every single day. These games are really driven to people who want something a little different, but just like WoW, to the casual players.

Their strategy for retaining business will come with rapid expansion releases only. Think of this like a multiplayer game design, framed as an MMO - for the large scale it is on. There is only an 'end' to the game when you no longer enjoy going to all the zones and seeing new events, or having cosmetic outfits and such.

Then the game absolutely has to appeal enough to make the people who do blow through content (lets be honest, a large portion) invested and interested enough to wanna come back for each of GW2's xpacs. It's more similar in concept to Skyrim, yes, but very different in that Elder Scrolls fans don't expect a shiney new Elder Scrolls game so frequently every 6 months. That's suddently a much larger investment for them to keep up with their beloved game series. It turns into more of a monthly sub as opposed to a one time 60 dollar investment every 4 or so years.

And that's where the differences come in. If people are finding they're cleverly being conned into what's breaking down into yet another monthly fee for what you described as Skyrim or another single player rpg, yet aren't receiving the raiding end game experience they're used to in an MMO, they may see through the gimmick. GW2 has to walk the line of drawing in people and keeping them captivated for years at a time but in a casual pick up and play fashion. With no real stat progression or sense of character empowerment between that and downscaling, that may be a very difficult prospect for them. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Donair; 2012-08-27 at 09:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that comparisons with P2P's just don't really work because GW2 is a B2P. They don't expect you to keep paying to keep playing. So there is much less pressure all round. Personally I ponder how they can maintain the game's growth without P2P or invasive MT but they appear to have done it before with GW so maybe it will be the same with GW2.

They've delivered a hell of a lot of game here. As much or more than we see in P2P's at launch. That is quite an achievement for a B2P and a pretty encouraging sign for the entire genre, in my opinion.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.