Quote Originally Posted by Aberrict View Post
    Watching the SC Con and comparing with what I've played/seen of other space sims.

What do you think Star Citizen does that others don't?
    Charge hundreds of dollars for ships?

I kid, I really want this game to succeed, hopefully the storm that the escapist started will drive their company to focus on finishing a few new feature sets to show off so we know they're actually doing something rather than just making the prettiest demo's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Charge hundreds of dollars for ships?

I kid, I really want this game to succeed, hopefully the storm that the escapist started will drive their company to focus on finishing a few new feature sets to show off so we know they're actually doing something rather than just making the prettiest demo's possible.
    While I understand you're joking. You do rise an important question. How is the in game currency system going to work? There are ships for sale that are being sold for thousands of real world dollars. How long is something like that going to take to earn in game? Isn't there going to be a massive imbalance day 1 and for a prolonged time between those who've paid and those just joining? Isn't instantly buying a ship that takes time to get in game a form of pay to win?

Edit: Also if my friends and I destroy a 300 dollar ship with a swarm of the starting ships that cost nothing I can't imagine that person is going to be happy. I know there is some kind of "life" insurance on these paid ships, but that applies only to the hulls. The guns, shield, mods, etc are gone and those are also being sold for real money.
    Last edited by Aberrict; 2015-10-11 at 10:16 PM.

While I understand you're joking. You do rise an important question. How is the in game currency system going to work? There are ships for sale that are being sold for thousands of real world dollars. How long is something like that going to take to earn in game? Isn't there going to be a massive imbalance day 1 and for a prolonged time between those who've paid and those just joining? Isn't instantly buying a ship that takes time to get in game a form of pay to win?
    The paid for ship system is for funding only. It will be removed upon launch of SC.

- - - Updated - - -

The guns, shield, mods, etc are gone and those are also being sold for real money.
    You can get insurance for guns, shield, mods, etc for ingame money too.

Watching the SC Con and comparing with what I've played/seen of other space sims.

What do you think Star Citizen does that others don't?
    No other space game does this...

Plus with the scope of adding a MMO on top, this is why there are nearly 1 million backers and $92 million in funding so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Nostalgic View Post
    The paid for ship system is for funding only. It will be removed upon launch of SC.

- - - Updated - - -

You can get insurance for guns, shield, mods, etc for ingame money too.
    That is honestly worse. Those ships aren't cosmetic differences and backers aren't just buying them solely for funding, but to buy in game advantages.

I understand those things will be buyable in game, but they are also available for real money, and people are going to buy them with real money. When those ships get blown up they are going to be losing those real money products. Something that I can't find happening in other games.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    No other space game does this...

Plus with the scope of adding a MMO on top, this is why there are nearly 1 million backers and $92 million in funding so far.
    EvE Online does have that though and is a MMO.

Elite: Dangerous is also a MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you honestly think those two things are the same, then you clearly didn't even watch the multi-crew demo.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    If you honestly think those two things are the same, then you clearly didn't even watch the multi-crew demo.
    I certainly find it similar, but if you want a direct 1 on 1 comparison. Then it is a feature coming in Elite: Dangerous.
    Last edited by Aberrict; 2015-10-11 at 11:10 PM.

Edit: Also if my friends and I destroy a 300 dollar ship with a swarm of the starting ships that cost nothing I can't imagine that person is going to be happy. I know there is some kind of "life" insurance on these paid ships, but that applies only to the hulls. The guns, shield, mods, etc are gone and those are also being sold for real money.
    Ah we're back on to "pay to win" scenarios. These ships at present are the most basic of basic. They have no upgrades, the ones available on the store are akin to "common quality" gear in WoW. At best you can get the specialized modules for ships that have multiple roles. Not to mention the more expensive ones are going to require upkeep and crews to make them effective from day one. Repairs, fuel, hangar costs and so on. The idea that people are going to start day one with their (limited quantity of) Idris frigates and somehow become immediately dominant is a farcical notion at best. The big ships probably won't be seen rolling out in any kind of permanent capacity for months after release, unless they're insanely lucky and can actually support these things from day one most who try will probably go bankrupt or just constantly lose them in skirmishes.

As for "thousands of dollars," surely you are misinformed. The only ships that ever went for those prices individually were the Idris and Javelin, both of which were extremely limited in quantity. Currently the only thing going for "thousands of dollars" are the huge packs which have anywhere from 8 to 66 ships included. Now while it's possible there are some people with disposable income to drop on that. Mostly it'll be a combined effort from multiple people within an organization who are all chipping in to buy it for themselves. This is especially likely since the crew needed to effectively man all the ships in the packs is somewhere between 40 and 400 players.

Ultimately the problem here is an ideological one, you're confusing pledging with buying shit.

Though realistically idk why I or anyone is trying to convince you if you think that EVE's tutorial is somehow analogous to what was shown in the multi-crew demo...

But really the saddest part about all of this is that after all this bitching and moaning about "omg expensive ships!" SC might be the most affordable game of its kind. Nobody is being forced to pay hundreds or "thousands" of dollars to get in on it. For all that is promised you can get involved with fucking $35 USD... https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...ages/Aurora-ES

Thirty...fucking...Five. And you get it all on release day. No blocking of content, no nickle and diming for DLC's. $35 and you get a full story campaign with what will likely be 2-3x the content and story of Wing Commander 3 or 4 had. Full access to the PU of Star Citizen, with everything that comes with it with no subscription fees. It's two full games, built to the quality and fidelity of AAA titles. For $35...such terribleness, oh my!
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2015-10-11 at 11:27 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Ah we're back on to "pay to win" scenarios. These ships at present are the most basic of basic. They have no upgrades, the ones available on the store are akin to "common quality" gear in WoW. At best you can get the specialized modules for ships that have multiple roles. Not to mention the more expensive ones are going to require upkeep and crews to make them effective from day one. Repairs, fuel, hangar costs and so on. The idea that people are going to start day one with their (limited quantity of) Idris frigates and somehow become immediately dominant is a farcical notion at best. The big ships probably won't be seen rolling out in any kind of permanent capacity for months after release, unless they're insanely lucky and can actually support these things from day one most who try will probably go bankrupt or just constantly lose them in skirmishes.

As for "thousands of dollars," surely you are misinformed. The only ships that ever went for those prices individually were the Idris and Javelin, both of which were extremely limited in quantity. Currently the only thing going for "thousands of dollars" are the huge packs which have anywhere from 8 to 66 ships included. Now while it's possible there are some people with disposable income to drop on that. Mostly it'll be a combined effort from multiple people within an organization who are all chipping in to buy it for themselves. This is especially likely since the crew needed to effectively man all the ships in the packs is somewhere between 40 and 400 players.

Ultimately the problem here is an ideological one, you're confusing pledging with buying shit.

Though realistically idk why I or anyone is trying to convince you if you think that EVE's tutorial is somehow analogous to what was shown in the multi-crew demo...
    I admit I made a mistake. Multi-crew is a feature that is coming to Elite: Dangerous though. Star Citizen doesn't have a feature that Elite doesn't or won't. I hope you enjoy the game when it releases, but don't act like it does something other space sims aren't doing or will do.

I honestly don't know how you can type the rest of that about paid ship. A player having the hull and free life insurance is an advantage over those those who have to build the hull and pay for the insurance.

I admit I made a mistake. Multi-crew is a feature that is coming to Elite: Dangerous though. Star Citizen doesn't have a feature that Elite doesn't or won't. I hope you enjoy the game when it releases, but don't act like it does something other space sims aren't doing or will do.

I honestly don't know how you can type the rest of that about paid ship. A player having the hull and free life insurance is an advantage over those those who have to build the hull and pay for the insurance.
    Except LTI only covers the hull, none of the upgrades, they'll be paying for insurance on shit one way or another on anything above and beyond the basic hull. The advantages are so small in the grand scheme of things. Also there's no guarantees that they'll be using the same ship forever. This is nitpicking at best considering the length of standard insurance can be anywhere up to 3 years, as is the case for my Vanguard. LTI is nothing more than a "well I don't need to worry about it every X amount of months." Such a game breaking advantage! Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Except LTI only covers the hull, none of the upgrades, they'll be paying for insurance on shit one way or another on anything above and beyond the basic hull. The advantages are so small in the grand scheme of things. Also there's no guarantees that they'll be using the same ship forever. This is nitpicking at best considering the length of standard insurance can be anywhere up to 3 years, as is the case for my Vanguard. LTI is nothing more than a "well I don't need to worry about it every X amount of months." Such a game breaking advantage! Oh my!
    You're ignoring build times. How long does it take to build these ships? Your last post talked about how long it would take to get these hulls ready to go, but not for the extra step of building the actual hulls. A Titan in EvE takes a month to build before outfitting it with weapons, shields, etc. I understand it's not an apples to apples comparison, but skipping a step, a potentially the longest step rankles me. I dislike any advantage you can buy with money.

You're ignoring build times. How long does it take to build these ships? Your last post talked about how long it would take to get these hulls ready to go, but not for the extra step of building the actual hulls. A Titan in EvE takes a month to build before outfitting it with weapons, shields, etc. I understand it's not an apples to apples comparison, but skipping a step, a potentially the longest step rankles me. I dislike any advantage you can buy with money.
    There is no "building"...nothing described as of yet any way. I don't know why you would assume there is other than "because in EVE."

There is "salvage" time, and if you watched the video carnifex posted, you'd see that. Large, impressive ships aren't bought or built, they're salvaged from derelicts or from other people. At which point they can be repaired and insured. But it's not like it's some arduous months long process, it'll be limited by quantity. Even better...insurance replacements aren't going to be instantaneous. So again LTI advantages boil down to "I don't have to renew this in 6months/1 year/2-3 years/etc..."
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2015-10-12 at 12:09 AM.

That depends, as I'm not sure if there are "build queues" in SC as there are in EvE, though I do recall reading somewhere (quite some time ago, so apologies on no link) that just because you have insurance doesn't mean you'll immediately have a replacement ship. I suspect this is to give players a reason to keep more than one ship in their hangar. Also, as players play, they'll be making numerous modifications to their ship, even using rare and expensive upgrades, which are not covered by LTI. In these cases, those players will need to buy add'l insurance for those parts, assuming insurance is even available for every part (I would imagine "unauthorized" parts and upgrades are not covered by insurance).

I Love how you claim Star Citizen doesn't do anything different "other space sims" aren't doing or will do. Ah, if only people actually researched a game before making crap up about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    That depends, as I'm not sure if there are "build queues" in SC as there are in EvE, though I do recall reading somewhere (quite some time ago, so apologies on no link) that just because you have insurance doesn't mean you'll immediately have a replacement ship. I suspect this is to give players a reason to keep more than one ship in their hangar. Also, as players play, they'll be making numerous modifications to their ship, even using rare and expensive upgrades, which are not covered by LTI. In these cases, those players will need to buy add'l insurance for those parts, assuming insurance is even available for every part (I would imagine "unauthorized" parts and upgrades are not covered by insurance).
    There'll be "black market" insurance for illicit parts, probably for a premium charge through shady vendors.

10+ Year Old Account
    No man sky may have a large space and planet explore but its mostly just going to be a single player with the off chance of meeting someone else. they have stated that it will be a rare chance of meeting other players because of how large the universe is

and onto ship bulding - I do beleive there will be build times for it. not long to build them like the Year i hear it takes for a Titan in EVE online
    Last edited by Omians; 2015-10-12 at 12:18 AM.
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Really looking forward to the release.

As for the thread, most of the dudes that just hang around bashing the game for no particular reason, why even give them attention... you're just feeding the trolls so they continue doing so.

This game has the possibility of being ground breaking on several aspects, and the 1M backers seem to think that. That alone warrants giving the game a chance... now, just coming here bashing with silly comparions with other games, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    No man sky may have a large space and planet explore but its mostly just going to be a single player with the off chance of meeting someone else. they have stated that it will be a rare chance of meeting other players because of how large the universe is

and onto ship bulding - I do beleive there will be build times for it. not long to build them like the Year i hear it takes for a Titan in EVE online
    It takes a titan min of 3 days for the capital parts and around 28-30 for the actuall ship. Dunno where you got a year from.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the thread, most of the dudes that just hang around bashing the game for no particular reason, why even give them attention... you're just feeding the trolls so they continue doing so.
    Do you have any idea what the term troll means? Just because someone doesnt like the same thing as you do and posts that opinion doesnt mean they are trolling.

I certainly find it similar, but if you want a direct 1 on 1 comparison. Then it is a feature coming in Elite: Dangerous.
    Similar? Ha! Not even close. It's obvious you didn't even watch the vid. And ED might do it in a few years, nothing in the near term. That and ED won't have fps combat integrated either. Just more than one crew on your ship.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2015-10-12 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Do you have any idea what the term troll means? Just because someone doesnt like the same thing as you do and posts that opinion doesnt mean they are trolling.
    Repeatedly trotting out the same tired and inaccurate bullshit over and over again is close though.

I for one welcome it though. Any time someone gives themselves a chance to look foolish on their own is a welcome event.