Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    My point is they have had things greyboxed that are removed and not talked about again, server meshing was on the radar and then poof it's gone not to be talked about. SQ42 is a prime example of something not being really 'shown' anymore and now just talked about. It does make me wonder the progress of things. But they are always happy to feature even more new ships to siphon money off of whales I guess.
    Most of which isn't super outrageous for normal development, and most of which folks would regularly NEVER hear about since it would have all occurred well before the game was even publicly announced. Folks just don't see that part of development, and this isn't regular for games with set budgets and deadlines.

Sure they are spending money on development, but AI taking dumps in the bathroom isn't exactly the right direction I'd want a game to be taking at this point, but hey they are good at hyping shit up to keep getting money tossed at them, so good on them I guess.
    We can snark at it, but we're not the target audience. The folks still giving them money, are.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Most of which isn't super outrageous for normal development, and most of which folks would regularly NEVER hear about since it would have all occurred well before the game was even publicly announced. Folks just don't see that part of development, and this isn't regular for games with set budgets and deadlines.
    Sure but CIG are the ones that ALSO put out many dates on things only to blow past them and ignore them. Mention things like Server Meshing only to take them off the roadmap, talk about things being greyboxed for SQ42 only for those to vanish as well. That is the part of 'normal development' that isn't shown either.

- - - Updated - - -

We can snark at it, but we're not the target audience. The folks still giving them money, are.
    Does not matter who the target audience is, focusing on AI taking a dump being a priority before you know more important things in this game should be ridiculed however.

Does not matter who the target audience is, focusing on AI taking a dump being a priority before you know more important things in this game should be ridiculed however.
    To a point, maybe. But they can't halt all development of features while waiting on core tech to be ready. Bottlenecking like that is beyond wasteful.

To a point, maybe. But they can't halt all development of features while waiting on core tech to be ready. Bottlenecking like that is beyond wasteful.
    I mean 'beyond wasteful' might be the middle name of SC before it is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    I was impressed at this sort of stuff in Ultima 7 in what, 1992? We're 30 years later now, it's not exactly anything special at this point.
    There is not really a system like this in any game at all, some games like X4 use an ecomony only version of it, but many games are player controlled economies to make it simple and easy.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    many games are player controlled economies to make it simple and easy.
    Player controlled economies are not "simple an easy" though, which is why like, developers with online games where economies are central often have like, actual economists working for them. EVE is a good example of this as it's a purely player driven economy that also has real-world value thanks to PLEX exchanges - https://www.fastcompany.com/3024392/...-in-eve-online

And it's likely not too hard to game out the currency -> real cash economy in SC given the in-game and dollar value of ships.

There are 3 versions of the game, PTR, Live PU and Evocati, as far as im aware, subs/concierge get early access on some things and thats it really, a starter package gives you equal access to all versions of the game, you just have to work hard if you want a chance at evocati.

Spending more money does not give you any more access to the game than other players.
    "Concierge members are included in the first wave of Public Test Universe."

"First-Wave PTU Access

Your subscription grants you first-wave access to Star Citizen’s Persistent Test Universe (PTU) where you’ll get to experience and help test patches and releases before they go live to all backers.

Centurian - yes | Imperator - yes"

If the starter pack also gives you access to it, then what's the point of slapping that shit into a 1,000$ fucking fancy ass title? Jfc, and people talk about EA and Ubisoft…

Quote Originally Posted by banmebaby View Post
    "Concierge members are included in the first wave of Public Test Universe."

"First-Wave PTU Access

Your subscription grants you first-wave access to Star Citizen’s Persistent Test Universe (PTU) where you’ll get to experience and help test patches and releases before they go live to all backers.

Centurian - yes | Imperator - yes"

If the starter pack also gives you access to it, then what's the point of slapping that shit into a 1,000$ fucking fancy ass title? Jfc, and people talk about EA and Ubisoft…
    People spend money because they support the game, and really want a certain ship, they dont really care about a few days earlier access to the PTU, we just want to fly our space ship, its a choice to spend anything more than the starter package, very early backers get some nice extra rewards that are not available anymore.

Its not really anything more than buying a more expensive collectors edition and getting some special rewards.

People spend money because they support the game, and really want a certain ship, they dont really care about a few days earlier access to the PTU, we just want to fly our space ship, its a choice to spend anything more than the starter package, very early backers get some nice extra rewards that are not available anymore.

Its not really anything more than buying a more expensive collectors edition and getting some special rewards.
    Sorry not everyone is like you and willing to waiting a few days to access a part of the game. I'm sure there are some that want the early access and pay more for it.

It is funny when you speak in the 'we just want' or 'they dont really care' as if you speak for more than yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah because some people NEVER buy those for the perks.

... If people didn't care for it, it wouldn't be up for sale.

Player controlled economies are not "simple an easy" though, which is why like, developers with online games where economies are central often have like, actual economists working for them. EVE is a good example of this as it's a purely player driven economy that also has real-world value thanks to PLEX exchanges - https://www.fastcompany.com/3024392/...-in-eve-online

And it's likely not too hard to game out the currency -> real cash economy in SC given the in-game and dollar value of ships.
    Yeah some guy did a thesis on everquest once and declared it the 57 richest country on planet earth or something.

This equivalence came with a raft of issues inside the game too, ie new players were shit out of luck. Unfortunately I never player everquest so I cannot remember the specifics. Even wow has issues, this is one thing the token can help with, by modulating the amount of gold you get for the $$$ they can effectively control the money supply, somewhat.

Just one single person on my server - a professional, not even a bot, single handedly blew up the herb market in classic by endlessly farming DM. There is nothing simple about managing anything player related. People are always going to try and ply things to their advantage and invariably that is going to cause issues like the above.

https://www.cnet.com/news/everquest-...s-own-economy/

I seem to remember a more detailed article. Regardless I don't think anyone has really got this right so far.
    Last edited by Afrospinach; 2021-09-28 at 12:37 PM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Yeah some guy did a thesis on everquest once and declared it the 57 richest country on planet earth or something.

This equivalence came with a raft of issues inside the game too, ie new players were shit out of luck. Unfortunately I never player everquest so I cannot remember the specifics. Even wow has issues, this is one thing the token can help with, by modulating the amount of gold you get for the $$$ they can effectively control the money supply, somewhat.

Just one single person on my server - a professional, not even a bot, single handedly blew up the herb market in classic by endlessly farming DM. There is nothing simple about managing anything player related. People are always going to try and ply things to their advantage and invariably that is going to cause issues like the above.

https://www.cnet.com/news/everquest-...s-own-economy/

I seem to remember a more detailed article. Regardless I don't think anyone has really got this right so far.
    In WoW it is just a simple economy, players are the supply and demand and the prices are set by what the playerbase is willing to pay and thats it, AH players can adjust prices but players will only pay if they got no other choice so prices always drop.

Economies in games such as X4 are much more complex with npcs dealing with most of the supply and demand and then having to deal with hundreds of stations and what resources they need.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-09-28 at 12:57 PM.

Ah, the economy, that’s yet another thing I’m really curious about, considering that they have been selling in-game credits along with end-game space ships and equipment, it should be very entertaining.

I spent money to buy the game after seeing sq42 release date for 2016, not to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlechamp View Post
    I spent money to buy the game after seeing sq42 release date for 2016, not to support it.
    You are not buying a game. Its like a donation.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    You are not buying a game. Its like a donation.
    How long did you have to hold breath to come up with this brainlet
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    How long did you have to hold breath to come up with this brainlet
    Not much, as I just quoted him.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlechamp View Post
    I say again, you are not buying a game. Its like a donation.
    For the record, If all you care about is the finished product just wait for it to officially release.
    If you're not pledging to support the game's development through crowdfunding but treat it like some kind of pre-order it's your own fault.

Wow this thread has 1000's of comments... I've browsed through but can't find any projected release date for this beast... does anyone have a vague idea? or can point me in the right direction?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Wow this thread has 1000's of comments... I've browsed through but can't find any projected release date for this beast... does anyone have a vague idea? or can point me in the right direction?
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/release-view

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    See this post.

In 2012, when the project began, the game was supposed to come out in 2014. Then 2014 came and it was supposed to come out in 2015. Then that year came and it was supposed to come out in 2016. Then Chris said "it's just around the corner, coming 2017".

Each time a date was missed it caused a lot of drama. A few years ago they figured out to just stop giving dates and to stop having Chris be the face of the project, so the lapsed release dates and roadnaps for roadmaps don't make the news unless we make enough of a stir on the official forums, but the last time that happened in summer 2020 Chris went on a massive banwave so there aren't anywhere near enough as many vocal dissenters on his echochamber forums left and we might just never be qble to he vocal enough to get news outlets to pick it up and get Chris pronise us another roadmap to a roadmap or make more empty statements again.

- - - Updated - - -

Inb4 "nuh uh, the promised release dates weren't acksually release dates".