Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    I'm not sure if you posted in the right thread or not, but you can't even try to compare WoW with Star Citizen in this regard. SC isnt an MMORPG in the genre definition, so gameplay mechanics are completely different.
    How is it not a MMORPG? You need groups of people to pilot certain ships, you are in a persistant universe with shitloads of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    How is it not a MMORPG? You need groups of people to pilot certain ships, you are in a persistant universe with shitloads of people.
    it's not an RPG so it can't be an MMORPG, i didn't say it wasnt an MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think RPG means what you think it means.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you think an RPG is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know the progression isn't tied to the player character but rather equipment on the ships, so it can't really be classified as an rpg if looking at mechanics alone.

Doesn't really matter in the end, its going to be mmo-like no matter what.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    As far as I know the progression isn't tied to the player character but rather equipment on the ships, so it can't really be classified as an rpg if looking at mechanics alone.

Doesn't really matter in the end, its going to be mmo-like no matter what.
    thank you for understanding what i meant.

part of the genre definition of an RPG is having character progression. Yes, you may be roleplaying, but its not an RPG.
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2015-11-25 at 07:15 AM.

thank you for understanding what i meant.

part of the genre definition of an RPG is having character progression. Yes, you may be roleplaying, but its not an RPG.
    But you do have character progression in SC, albeit not in the form of levels. It's an RPG in every respect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    But you do have character progression in SC, albeit not in the form of levels. It's an RPG in every respect.
    yeah, i give up. the person that told me the definitions of the genres a while ago swears he never did....but still, SC is not classified as an RPG, look it up. same reason why most FPS games arent RPGs.
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2015-11-25 at 09:31 AM.

yeah, i give up. the person that told me the definitions of the genres a while ago swears he never did....but still, SC is not classified as an RPG, look it up. same reason why most FPS games arent RPGs.
    That matters little. In the end, it has many RPG elements, essentially making it an RPG/shooter/massively online game/space sim.

Games of this size, often do not fit in merely one category. ED isn't considered an RPG either, nevertheless, it has many RPG elements.

Deleted
    RPG means 'role playing' , and that means immersive shared fantasy universe... and SC definitely fits that label.

Therefore MMORPG is a fair genre to categorise SC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I came in here to try and clean up this cespit of a thread after trolls took a shit all over it. And here i am arguing with a bunch of you people over the fucking genre of a game. You guys make me sad. Im done. Have fun with the rest of this miserable thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    As the game is currently planned for the PU, no you do not.

Stats, perks, talent choices, what have you, all that not going to be there, with characters themselves essentially disposable with permadeaths mechanics passing belongings down to another character you create.

Stats, perks, talent choices, what have you, all that not going to be there, with characters themselves essentially disposable with permadeaths mechanics passing belongings down to another character you create.
    Yes, you do have character progression. The 'wow way' isn't the only way.

What would you call saving up money, to upgrade your weapons, ships and general gear? Indeed, character progression. The inheritance system, is just a (creative) variation of the unlimited resurrections, in other rpgs.

You can beat around the bush all you want, that won't change any of these facts.

I came in here to try and clean up this cespit of a thread after trolls took a shit all over it. And here i am arguing with a bunch of you people over the fucking genre of a game. You guys make me sad. Im done. Have fun with the rest of this miserable thread.
    A good, civil, discussion raises awareness.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2015-11-25 at 01:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Stats, perks, and talents aren't staples of RPG. They don't HAVE to be there. RPG means Role Playing Game. In Star Citizen you are taking over the role of a space ship pilot and the fact that you can die and then take over control of a sibling or child is just another, rather unorthodox, form of Role Playing. The single player portion might not be considered and RPG but the multiplayer PU fits the bill. There is no scripting, no rules, you play how you want. You fit your character into any Role you want, and that is the definition of RPG.

Move along.

Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    RPG means 'role playing' , and that means immersive shared fantasy universe... and SC definitely fits that label.

Therefore MMORPG is a fair genre to categorise SC.
    nah, it's got FPS stuff to so it's a MMOFPSRPG
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    nah, it's got FPS stuff to so it's a MMOFPSRPG
    But it's also a space ship simulator and has a persistent universe, so I guess it's a MMOPUFPSSSSRPG.

Move along.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    But it's also a space ship simulator and has a persistent universe, so I guess it's a MMOPUFPSSSSRPG.
    hmmm.... what else is it..... crowd-funded? Would that make it a CFMMOPUFPSSSSRPG

7+ Year Old Account
    +1 for the Mass Effect Star Child)
    Make your wife playing with you..And you`ll have any problems)) Otherwise you`re trapped) ))

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Stats, perks, and talents aren't staples of RPG. They don't HAVE to be there. RPG means Role Playing Game. In Star Citizen you are taking over the role of a space ship pilot and the fact that you can die and then take over control of a sibling or child is just another, rather unorthodox, form of Role Playing. The single player portion might not be considered and RPG but the multiplayer PU fits the bill. There is no scripting, no rules, you play how you want. You fit your character into any Role you want, and that is the definition of RPG.
    You are entirely and absolutely wrong. You mistake the concept of roleplaying and roleplaying game entirely. There is a STARK difference between the two and their concepts. Roleplaying games are mechanically driven games where you may RP and the game by its mechanics and ruleset either supports it or not (In which case pretend roleplaying like many do in Skyrim happens) but roleplaying in RPG is not mandatory and it'll work perfectly fine if you treated it just as mechanically interesting and diverse game.

Just like you can pretend-roleplay in about any game (I'm a big CEO of Transport Tycoon!) but that does not make TTP a Roleplaying Game.

The game part of the name implies rules and rulesets that shape the roleplay part. When those things are not mechanically represented and statistically driven, you are simply making things up and in essence larping in enviroment that does not provide experience by itself.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    You are entirely and absolutely wrong. You mistake the concept of roleplaying and roleplaying game entirely. There is a STARK difference between the two and their concepts. Roleplaying games are mechanically driven games where you may RP and the game by its mechanics and ruleset either supports it or not (In which case pretend roleplaying like many do in Skyrim happens) but roleplaying in RPG is not mandatory and it'll work perfectly fine if you treated it just as mechanically interesting and diverse game.

Just like you can pretend-roleplay in about any game (I'm a big CEO of Transport Tycoon!) but that does not make TTP a Roleplaying Game.

The game part of the name implies rules and rulesets that shape the roleplay part. When those things are not mechanically represented and statistically driven, you are simply making things up and in essence larping in enviroment that does not provide experience by itself.
    You should have prefaced this with "In my opinion." RPG doesn't mean roll playing game, but role playing game.