Poll: Do you actually believe all these "help with girl/girlfriend" threads that pop up ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think they're fake most of the time its not easy to be consistent when you're lying.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    I see so many of these threads pop up every day. And the worst part is that these threads actually go on for a good number of pages.
    Which shows people here are interested in them.

In all my time on this site I clearly don't remember actually seeing a "Help with a boy that I like" thread.
    They happen. I'd link one, but the way the original poster edited out her post after she got the advice she was looking for makes me think she wanted to fly under the radar. It wouldn't be right for me to link it when she was just trying to quietly find advice in the first place. In any case, if polls in other threads are to be believed, only a small portion of people who use this site are female. It's natural that they don't show up quite as often.
    And if anyone is even paying attention most of these threads are started by people that barely have many number of posts to give them any creditability.
    I think you mean credibility. There, see? You learned something.
    Its either the people that start these threads live in some sic fantasy world or people that are replying to them get some sort of sic satisfaction to replying to them. I mean why on earth would you come to so called "gamers" forum to ask on girl friend advice if you were even serious in the first place. Wouldn't some kind of dating website or mens health forums be more appropriate?

And the saddest part is that certain individuals actually find it to be a "fun" form of trolling. Sure you have anonymity on this site or any for that matter, which even increases the possibility of people that start these threads actually trolling.
    Troll posts or not, other people can learn from what's said. Looking at the larger picture, it doesn't really matter whether the OP is actually going through the situation they say they are because other people have the potential to learn from even a hypothetical situation. If someone doesn't run into problems like that now, they may in the future and will know how to deal with them when they do. I see no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    do u even lift?
    I find this to be the funniest rebuttal to just about anything.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-11-03 at 12:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Because it's a nice anonymous place to ask. No one will judge you for asking, no one will point and laugh, and most answers will be genuine.
    Summed up in one sentance like 3 posts in. I think OP would be surprised just how many of those threads are legit from someone seeking genuine help. A lot of hardcore gamers can get isolated by the sheer ammount of time they play games. When i was 16 and addicted to ultima online i had very few RL friends so when a problem cropped up in my RL circle there was rarely anyone i could talk to. Yet i had a whole forum of people with a range of ages and backgrounds to get a host of different opinions and advices. Best part was noone could judge me because at the end of the day i was just a name on the screen. (Course that diddnt hold up long once i started going to the forum meets in london ^_^)

Deleted
    And if anyone is even paying attention most of these threads are started by people that barely have many number of posts to give them any creditability.
    It's entirely possible that they have an account with a lot of posts, but choose to create a new account in order to stay anonymous.

Its either the people that start these threads live in some sic fantasy world or people that are replying to them get some sort of sic satisfaction to replying to them. I mean why on earth would you come to so called "gamers" forum to ask on girl friend advice if you were even serious in the first place. Wouldn't some kind of dating website or mens health forums be more appropriate?
    I believe most of these people are genuine. You may not realize it, but some people only live with the social interaction they get online. They are too shy to bond in real life. And it may not make sense to you, but a gaming forum might be the only hope in their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Count_Satyros View Post
    I wasn't trying to contradict myself, rather try to emphasize but, oh well, whiskey happened :P
    Oh I know, and I wasn't trying to imply you were, I was simply making a point. :P

Bloodsail Admiral DownButStillOut's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well! We can always make a Megathread for that seeing that relation advice is a frequent issue.
    Now would it be considered Fun Stuff or Off Topic?
    On Topic: I've posted relationship stuff on forums before on different aliases, therefore I must not be alone correct?
    BeeeeeeeoooooOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOO-FFFSSSHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
    My attempt at being less of a pessimist was choosing Dawnbringer as my choice of server.
    I regret somethings! (like setting this in my signature)

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    The community here has a wide range of ages, backgrounds and locations, so you can get a lot of unbiased input and maybe a whole new perspective you didn't even consider. Plus, anonymity yay. Some stuff it's just easier to ask strangers about, especially if you have the benefit of anonymity.

Oh yeah... to actually answer the question - I think a lot of them are genuine. Not all of them by any means, but a good number I'm pretty sure are genuine.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure all of them are valid, I don't see any reason as to why they might not be. Turns out getting advice from a 3rd party from a bunch of people that are considerate (yes, I consider the people here decent people) can actually be a good thing. Post count doesn't give people credibility, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Why the fuck does it matter if they're real or not, it serves a nice discussion point whether or not there really is some guy out there fawning over a girl. People always miss the point.

I have no reason to doubt the validity of these posts, dood.

15+ Year Old Account
    With this being the off-topic section, discussing mmo's would actually be the inappropriate topic.

Relationship threads are fine. If people want to create them then they are welcome to. I don't personally get it but that really doesn't matter.

Some people are not good with women.

/thread

Deleted
    "Help with a boy that I like" threads are actually pretty common but ofcourse not on this forums.

I personally find it hard to believe all of them are true.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    This forum is filled with socially awkward wow players I'm sure most of them are real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazing that people equate "gamers" with social awkwardness.

It's not the fact that you are a gamer that makes you awkward, it's the fact that you are awkward. Don't use gaming as a shield to justify not interacting with people.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

Do you actually believe all these "help with girl/girlfriend" threads that pop up ?
    All is such a strong word. I think I believe them in general, though there's probably a couple that's not really believable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    Most of the people here just speak about pretty much everything that goes on about their life here, I personally think that we've passed the point where this forums is 100% just dedicated to mmo's.
    This has probably been said, but of course we have. This entire section of forums that Gen OT is in is dedicated to discussing anything but video games.
    Personally I only post in the Off-topic forums with some minor exceptions from time to time, so rarely actually discuss MMOs or video games here

On topic:
    The gullible and naive side of me wants to believe most of them are actually true, but the pessimistic side of me thinksmost of them might be false. I don't see the point in randomly making up a story and having people give advice for it though, so surely some or most of them must be true

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    On topic:
    The gullible and naive side of me wants to believe most of them are actually true, but the pessimistic side of me thinksmost of them might be false. I don't see the point in randomly making up a story and having people give advice for it though, so surely some or most of them must be true
    I see it more as 70/30, with a lot of the 70% real with a lot of flair to make themselves seem better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people talk about off topic stuff on the off topic forums?

And yes, I do believe that most of them are real. Why would someone make up a fake story about their imaginary girlfriend on an anonymous mmo site?
    And this may surprise you, but some video game players to have girlfriends, so they come here to talk about WoW/other games and then they figure; why the hell not ask about my GF?
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.