Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crianthia View Post
    I use to hate Varian since the beginning. I was use to the awesomeness of Bolvar and watching him almost bring unification to anywhere he went. Never backing down either, but not jumping into shit like Varian. (I can tell I am growing up with the game too lol.) I was getting use to the horde and alliance starting to mellow out. When I was playing in Vanilla, I was like all like screw you horde. Then when i saw horde and alliance characters fighting on the same side. (Argent dawn/cenarion circle) I was all like damn that is awesome, we must be fighting something huge. With TBC I still didnt like the horde, Aldor Scryer stuff also. But when they helped eachother at BT I was like damn! lol. Wotlk was a real horde and ally helping eachother and it felt awesome, this all under Bolvar and Saurfang. I got use to the mellowness then, but then Varian ruins EVERYTHING that involved peace. I was upset about that, but later I grew back into the Horde v Ally war again and now I love Varian (kind of) for his badassness and how protective he is of Anduin and his alliance "family." (which since I grew up a little more, I can relate to how protective he is now and why)
    Not just Varian, though... Garrosh ruined a lot by assaulting the Horde's bleeding allies in Icecrown. "It was a glorious battle" my bum. And the whole gunship thing was more than part Garrosh' fault.

But I agree with you; all those cases of Horde and Alliance working together were the most awesome things in WoW... You felt like you were doing something great.

Can't agree with liking Varian, though... Even still; he's a lot better than Garrosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Alright. But that is not Varian's fault. It doesn't sound like he had any hand in this. This was probably when he was still very young. I dount that Varian would ever screw someone over like that. And the reaction of the Defias was still not the right one.
    The first incarnation of the Defias? You are correct, it was not entirely his fault, since he was being influenced by Lady Prestor.

The second? It was his fault. The homeless in Westfall occurred because Varian moved all production to war. Those that didn't get conscripted had to pay high taxes to promote the war forces in the north. Those that couldn't afford it because they were no "war-based" jobs went bankrupt. With no gold and no home, they fled to Westfall to squat on the abandoned farms. Vanessa VanCleef utilized the fact they were homeless and angry to rebuild the Defias.

It's because Blizzard did a crap job introducing him in game and just dropped in a guy that seemed like a jerk with no in game backstory on that.

Blizzard's total inability to tell much of a story in game has been a pretty consistent complaint, and while they are getting better, its not in leaps and bounds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Not just Varian, though... Garrosh ruined a lot by assaulting the Horde's bleeding allies in Icecrown. "It was a glorious battle" my bum. And the whole gunship thing was more than part Garrosh' fault.

But I agree with you; all those cases of Horde and Alliance working together were the most awesome things in WoW... You felt like you were doing something great.

Can't agree with liking Varian, though... Even still; he's a lot better than Garrosh.
    Agreed totally.

The horde and alliance war just feels like something to immature now, something for the douchey side to get there jollies from like some kids in a playground.

When you had characters like Saurfang that such rising above it all and showing itself a being better then those morons always looking for a fight, it made you feel more proud to be that actions.

Nowadays I don't have that feeling since the horde has been infested with the kind of playground bullies I just mentioned, but with cases like Vol'jin and Baine it still had some hope.
    #boycottchina

The "war" have felt immature to me since WC3. I was very sad they decided to carry it on in WoW after WC3 put such a nice cap on the whole thing. I accepted it mostly because it was treated less like a full blown conflict and more like a cold war, which each side just not wanting to work together and sharing small skirmishes all the while doing some quests to help smooth over relations.

Don't like it so much now, with the full blown conflict, but I still hold out hope the final expansion will end the conflict entirely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostwood View Post
    The vast majority seems to like the character.

What annoys me is his stupid ponytail and the lack of manly beard.

Edit:
    Hey, you never know, after all it is no-shave november....

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Agreed totally.

The horde and alliance war just feels like something to immature now, something for the douchey side to get there jollies from like some kids in a playground.

When you had characters like Saurfang that such rising above it all and showing itself a being better then those morons always looking for a fight, it made you feel more proud to be that actions.

Nowadays I don't have that feeling since the horde has been infested with the kind of playground bullies I just mentioned, but with cases like Vol'jin and Baine it still had some hope.
    This as well, with the morons fighting. It gets aggrivating. I personally feel though that Varian is growing up in that regards, after theramore he did not just go F U HORDE and assault them which is what would happen before. The original reason he went to Pandaria with his elite soldiers is to save his son. However, the general in charge.. forgot her name.. is what is making Varian look bad because (at leas tin the beginning quests) she just slaughters and kills. The Night Elf (sorry i cant remember the names well -.-) actually had some sympathy.

I just really hope that when it comes down to it after the war "heats up" it wont be childs play and you actually feel you are now in that epic war of survival again.. itll be hard though seeing as though horde and alliance assault orgrimmar? Unless they make you fight through that faction then Orgrimmar in like some form of a raid. otherwise itll go back to ally with horde attacking one big threat.. but the big threat doesnt feel as big as like Arthas who could destroy the world, Garrosh just needed to be dethroned.

Edit: Also wondering how Wrathion will take place in the horde v ally crap.. he eludes to a great war where the best of the best will move on (like the argent tourney but bigger) and to move on to kill the "big threat"

Because he tried to kill every living person on Azeroth.

You know, when Thrall had to head to the Maelstrom, and it's mentioned in-game that Thrall's efforts and power were the only thing preventing Deepholm from crashing into Azeroth until the World Pillar is restored. And so while Thrall was on his way there to keep the planet from, you know, breaking, Varian attempted to have him kidnapped. To stop him from reaching the Maelstrom and saving the world.

Good job Varian, good job. That statue of you isn't going to be much use if every one of your subjects is dead and nobody is left to admire it.

I think they could've done a much better job bringing Varian back. The books are doing a decent job showing him grow as a character, but he seems rather .. abrasive in game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    The first incarnation of the Defias? You are correct, it was not entirely his fault, since he was being influenced by Lady Prestor.

The second? It was his fault. The homeless in Westfall occurred because Varian moved all production to war. Those that didn't get conscripted had to pay high taxes to promote the war forces in the north. Those that couldn't afford it because they were no "war-based" jobs went bankrupt. With no gold and no home, they fled to Westfall to squat on the abandoned farms. Vanessa VanCleef utilized the fact they were homeless and angry to rebuild the Defias.
    I don't even know how old Varian was, when the Defias first appeared. I don't even know if Onyxia was already around at that time. But I just doubt that Varian would ever treat anyone like that.

It's certainly not a black and white situation. If Stormwind really had no way of paying them, there's nothing that could be done about it. I can very well imagine that to be the case. The war against the orcs was long and arduous. The city was wrecked. Then again, the fact that the nobles offered some of them well-payed jobs to keep quiet is suspicious and I can also very well imagine corruption to be involved. In which I case I think the fact that VanCleef denied is admirable. But what followed after is not.

As to the second incarnation of the Defias, I sympathize with the poor in Westfall, but if they're really the victims of the war, then we have to ask how would the people of Westfall have fared if the Alliance would not have fought the Lich King and Deathwing. Even the war against the Horde can be justified, if you believe they threaten the peace of your people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostwood View Post
    The vast majority seems to like the character.

What annoys me is his stupid ponytail and the lack of manly beard.
    I always thought he was kind of Arnold Schwarzenegger type of character..

As I've read more and heard more from 5.1, Varian's finally begun to grow on me.

If he finally breaks from this prideful, idiotic path he was on and becomes a legitimate ruler for you guys (I'm Horde so yeah), I'd actually be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Agreed totally.

The Alliance battles the Horde, because they see a threat in them.
    The Horde battles the Alliance for land and resources.

Deleted
    I am people and i like him.

Someone failed in here ?

Sorry had to point out the facts ihih.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Who says I hate Varian?
    Then again I dont really like him either....he is a human after all.....
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    He hasn't had a lot of character development until now, since in the novel Wolfheart. IMO he has a lot of potential, but we'll have to wait to see how that unfolds. Putting a sword through that retard Garrosh's skull would be a great start.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    The Alliance battles the Horde, because they see a threat in them.
    The Horde battles the Alliance for land and resources.
    Every army/nation in history believed God was on their side
    Every army/nation in history believed they had right on their side

And as George Carlin said, "Someones gonna be fucking dissapointed"
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

15+ Year Old Account
    I like him

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    "It was a glorious battle" my bum. And the whole gunship thing was more than part Garrosh' fault.
    Really? Im pretty sure Saurfang was up their leading the charge

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    I am people and i like him.

Someone failed in here ?

Sorry had to point out the facts ihih.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    Every army/nation in history believed God was on their side
    Every army/nation in history believed they had right on their side

And as George Carlin said, "Someones gonna be fucking dissapointed"
    They don't believe they have god on their side. They believe the Horde is a threat, and current events confirmed they were right about that.