Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So, I'm buying a used car soon... Suggestions?

As the title says, buying a used car soon. I'll list my needs & my wants. Obviously the car must be able to run, and I'm intending on buying this car from a dealership because, unfortunately, I don't have a ton of money saved to just go up to someone and flat out pay $4000 for a car. This car is going to have to last at least 5 years (Not really expecting to drive it a shit ton, to work and back it's a 12 mile drive to and from work. May be driving it on a 600 mile trip in the next year though, so, must be reliable.)

Needs:
    Under 100K miles.
    A/C & Heat.
    Minimum 21 MPG city.
    Under $9000.
    Automatic transmission (No manual.)
    Car (Not a truck/jeep.) and 2 or 4 door, doesn't matter on that part.
    Cheaper insurance cost (So, no Civics considering they're known for racing which is higher insurance.)
    Decently known car so I can look at reviews etc. to make sure it's not going to have the transmission slip 10K miles from now.

Wants:
    Under 80K miles.
    Under $8000.
    Minimum 24 MPG city.
    4 door car.
    CD/radio.

Notes: Live in Las Vegas, that's why we need A/C & heat. Also full of crap drivers, so, even though we've luckily never been in an accident it'd be nice to have a safer car.
    Last edited by SageKalzi; 2012-11-26 at 05:13 PM.

Deleted
    My only advice is to buy the car from a different shop if your salesman looks like this;

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SageKalzi View Post
    As the title says, buying a used car soon. I'll list my needs & my wants. Obviously the car must be able to run, and I'm intending on buying this car from a dealership because, unfortunately, I don't have a ton of money saved to just go up to someone and flat out pay $4000 for a car. This car is going to have to last at least 5 years (Not really expecting to drive it a shit ton, to work and back it's a 12 mile drive to and from work. May be driving it on a 600 mile trip in the next year though, so, must be reliable.)

Needs:
    Under 100K miles.
    A/C & Heat.
    Minimum 21 MPG city.
    Under $9000.
    Cheaper insurance cost (So, no Civics considering they're known for racing which is higher insurance.)
    Decently known car so I can look at reviews etc. to make sure it's not going to have the transmission slip 10K miles from now.

Wants:
    Under 80K miles.
    Minimum 24 MPG city.
    4 door car.
    CD/radio.

Notes: Live in Las Vegas, that's why we need A/C & heat. Also full of crap drivers, so, even though we've luckily never been in an accident it'd be nice to have a safer car.

That's not true. It depends on where you live. My civic costs less than my camry to insure.

I don't intend on buying anything from anyone who looks like that. Not even his awesome chest hair can fool me.

Edit: Lamoot, I was just giving an example, I thought of one of the highest priced insurance cars in Las Vegas (Due to morons who race out here. Constantly.) and that's one of them.

Edit 2: I also edited my original post to say in wants under $8000. Need it to be under $9000 but want it to be under $8000 lol.
    Last edited by SageKalzi; 2012-11-26 at 05:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Toyota Corolla is a good used car.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

only 4k and you want all that? good luck is all I have to say, i paid almost 5k for a car with 125k miles.

Granted it works very well, heat and AC work great its nice inside, but lol if you want anything under 100k miles for $4k. not gonna happen.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

15+ Year Old Account
    insurance companies do not make estimates on cars bc they are known for racing lol, a 4 door 4cyl civic will not have higher insurance than most other cars. Just buy a civic or an accord, japanese cars are the most reliable cars made.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    only 4k and you want all that? good luck is all I have to say, i paid almost 5k for a car with 125k miles.

Granted it works very well, heat and AC work great its nice inside, but lol if you want anything under 100k miles for $4k. not gonna happen.
    I didn't say $4K. I said I don't have $4K to just pay right away, so that's why I'm going to a lot to hopefully get a car under $9K.

Needs:
    Under 100K miles.
    A/C & Heat.
    Minimum 21 MPG city.
    Under $9000.

Wants:
    Under 80K miles.
    Minimum 24 MPG city.
    4 door car.
    CD/radio.

Why not a civic? It's not the stock EX/LX civics that are "racing" cars it's the SI versions that people mod and race (they also tend to be coupes [i.e. two doors]. EX/LX are for normal people.
    Anyway, honda accord, nissan sentra, toyota corolla, chevy impala are all good cars and your best bets for what you are looking for. They all fit the bill for gas mileage and value, and they all have sedan (4 door) versions. Don't be picky about a CD/radio, dealership will charge you thousands for that shit when you can buy a decent stereo with navigation, bluetooth, ipod hookups, mp3cd and radio for ~300$, only thing is you might have to read a manual or two to install it yourself (but trust me, it's worth it)

As for financing, your best best is always to get a pre-approved loan through your bank. 99% of the time they will give you a better APR than a dealership can, barring some super-special deal (and usually it's still not better, as those deals are only for a year or so).

15+ Year Old Account

i bought my gf a 99 civic with 89k miles, perfect paint and the interior was 7/10 for 3200 dollars, i suggest u stop laughing and look a little harder next time...

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    i bought my gf a 99 civic with 89k miles, perfect paint and the interior was 7/10 for 3200 dollars, i suggest u stop laughing and look a little harder next time...
    I looked for weeks. bout anything you could find for under 5k was utter shit.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

15+ Year Old Account
    lol my gf's car runs perfect, the only thing we had to change so far was the alternator and that sounds about right for a car with 90k miles on it...paint is 9/10, interior is 7/10...also my friend just found his gf a 98 civic with 80k miles on it, the paint is prob a 5/10 but he only paid 2500 for it. Theres plenty of good deals out there, u just have to look for them. Craigslist is the best place to look in all honesty, bc sometimes people really dont know what they have or what its worth.

Expand your region of buying the car from just local. My family has always bought vehicles from out of state at great deals new/used & only one of them failed and that was after 6 years. They're usually done with them before then but the dad kept his blue gmc forever until he wanted something newer.

I don't know exact websites but it can't be terribly difficult to find them. Its how I found my car as well

lol my gf's car runs perfect, the only thing we had to change so far was the alternator and that sounds about right for a car with 90k miles on it...paint is 9/10, interior is 7/10...also my friend just found his gf a 98 civic with 80k miles on it, the paint is prob a 5/10 but he only paid 2500 for it. Theres plenty of good deals out there, u just have to look for them. Craigslist is the best place to look in all honesty, bc sometimes people really dont know what they have or what its worth.
    Well, I'd buy it off craigslist but again, I don't have money saved up, my car literally just finally seems to be on it's last legs as of yesterday and I'm going to be trying to get a car with very little money available but I have enough money to pay a decent monthly cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    Expand your region of buying the car from just local. My family has always bought vehicles from out of state at great deals new/used & only one of them failed and that was after 6 years. They're usually done with them before then but the dad kept his blue gmc forever until he wanted something newer.

I don't know exact websites but it can't be terribly difficult to find them. Its how I found my car as well
    Eh, I won't be able to drive out of state to get a car though.

10+ Year Old Account
    My first car cost me $900, and it ran near perfectly until I finally totaled it. It was a 1986 Mitsubishi Cordia-L. I loved that car.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    My buddy had a purple Ford Probe all through college that he bought for $600. A coworker has a 2000 Buick Regal with 180k miles on it that he bought 65k miles ago for $2500. Don't be afraid of mileage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'd buy it off craigslist but again, I don't have money saved up, my car literally just finally seems to be on it's last legs as of yesterday and I'm going to be trying to get a car with very little money available but I have enough money to pay a decent monthly cost.
    well even on craigslist u can find some dealerships willing to finance cars that are decently priced...give it a look

Saturn SL-2. Cheap and reliable.

Can't go wrong with a Volvo.

well even on craigslist u can find some dealerships willing to finance cars that are decently priced...give it a look
    I've looked at a few on Craigslist, saw a few dealerships on there and almost all of them say $1000 down on a $5000 car. Lol. I'll keep looking there though, maybe missed a few.