Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    There's one other thing I'd love to know more about. Rand no longer has the ability to channel the one power or the true power...and yet is able to light his pipe by merely thinking about it being lit. Residue of his ta'veren nature, the kind displayed when he was countering the Dark One's influence and did things like growing the massive trees earlier in the book? Permanent aspect of it? Wonder if we'll ever know.
    If you recall, Rand combined saidar and saidin into a pure, combined form of the One Power. That is likely what he is can use now, basically just bending reality itself. To pull the quote from the book, "He wove something majestic, a pattern of interlaced saidar and saidin in their pure forms. Not Fire, not Spirit, not Water, not Earth, not Air. Purity. Light itself. This didn't repair, it didn't patch, it forged anew. With this new form of the Power, Rand pulled together the rent that had been made here long ago by foolish men."

At least, that's my guess.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    I think there's a timeline flaw here. Demandred thinks back to recruiting him initially, and the implication was certainly that he was recruited quite some time ago, as in years and years (I wish they'd release an ebook at the same time, makes it so hard to find quotes). However going back that far Demandred was sealed in the bore afaik and not able to touch the world.

I also didn't like Mat/Fain, I understand the logic behind it but it should have been Perrin,.
    I didn't get that impression from the prologue, in fact it reinforced my view that Demandred broke Taim free and recruited him a few months before sending him off to worm his way into Rand's inner circles. Taim was incredibly intelligent and powerful in the One Power, I have no problem believing him learning a lot from one of the Forsaken in a short time (i.e., Rand and Asmodean). As for him surviving so long with the taint, not every male channeler went crazy within a month of using the One Power. Some lasted years before succumbing to the madness; not to mention that Taim could've had the madness cleansed from him by the Dark One and been protected from the taint after being recruited.

To me, it made more sense for Mat to face Fain. I know, Fain killed Perrin's family, but Perrin's greatest adversary was Slayer, and it would've been too much for him to take both on. Sadly, I think the confrontation between Mat and Fain should've been built up more throughout the final book, and their confrontation should've been a bit more extensive. I liked how it came full circle, though, with the dagger.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 03:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    If you recall, Rand combined saidar and saidin into a pure, combined form of the One Power. That is likely what he is can use now, basically just bending reality itself. To pull the quote from the book, "He wove something majestic, a pattern of interlaced saidar and saidin in their pure forms. Not Fire, not Spirit, not Water, not Earth, not Air. Purity. Light itself. This didn't repair, it didn't patch, it forged anew. With this new form of the Power, Rand pulled together the rent that had been made here long ago by foolish men."

At least, that's my guess.
    Yeah, Rand went Jedi mode or something. Heh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best part of the book: Lan and Demandred. The best single page in there.

Worst part of the book: Two hundred page chapter right as I'm going to work.

Also, I really did not expect everything to go full on George Martin to the cast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omertocracy View Post
    Also, I really did not expect everything to go full on George Martin to the cast.
    It's not unusual for the final book of a long series, especially if there are a lot of characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omertocracy View Post
    I expected it. It was called the last battle for a reason.

Ahh, the last Mat/Tuon scene can turn into anything... When i started reading this last book, which compared to the TGS and TOM, wasnt split timewise at all(that is TGS and TOM could be the same book, just different POV) i felt we could have had even more books... I really wish RJ had kept on living, and been forced to split up AMOL into, instead of 3 books, lets say 6, or maybe 9? The fact that the series has taken so long time to end during the years havent been tiresome at all to me, instead it has felt as if it was still alive, the world was still alive, the story and the characters themselves. But now... nothing is left and the likelyhood for outriggers is 0.000001%. Fan fiction on the other hand - that ive never ever read, but im extremly sceptical towards it.
    Last edited by braus; 2013-01-12 at 03:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by braus View Post
    Ahh, the last Mat/Tuon scene can turn into anything... When i started reading this last book, which compared to the TGS and TOM, wasnt split timewise at all(that is TGS and TOM could be the same book, just different POV) i felt we could have had even more books... I really wish RJ had kept on living, and been forced to split up AMOL into, instead of 3 books, lets say 6, or maybe 9? The fact that the series has taken so long time to end during the years havent been tiresome at all to me, instead it has felt as if it was still alive, the world was still alive, the story and the characters themselves. But now... nothing is left and the likelyhood for outriggers is 0.000001%. Fan fiction on the other hand - that ive never ever read, but im extremly sceptical towards it.

honestly no, i wouldnt want to wait another 10-15 years for the main storyline to resolve.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    All things considered, AMoL is a fantastic book and by far the most exciting book in the series. Kinda saddened by who has been killed off up to where I am, which is well into The Last Battle chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    All things considered, AMoL is a fantastic book and by far the most exciting book in the series. Kinda saddened by who has been killed off up to where I am, which is well into The Last Battle chapter.
    Still think i rather reread older books than this one though. Like i dont know how many times ive read shadows rising/fires in heaven and knife of dreams, but those i will keep reading again and again. This one... well while it was entertaining im not sure i find that many scenes worth repeating

15+ Year Old Account
    you know, the more i think about it, the more i wonder: what does a smart, headstrong, self reliant young women like Egwene see in Gawyn besides a pretty face? the guy is surely a capable swordsmen, but as far as brains goes...well lets think: despite everyone telling him otherwise, he continues to hate Rand Al'thor until the end of ToM when he knows that not only is Elayne alive, but so is his mother. he doesnt understand that its the warders job to SUPPORT his (or her in a rare occasion) Aes Sedai, and he KNOWLINGLY used not just 1, but 3 Terrangeal (spelling?) that will end up KILLING you, and tries to take on a FORSAKEN all on his own. correct me if im wrong, but shouldn't Egwene be a bit BEYOND choosing a warder/husband who is just a pretty face and extremely capable swordsmen? flame me all you want, but gawyn comes across a bit arrogant and...stupid. i mean for gods sake, he knows what happens to an Aes Sedai whos warder dies, and he thinks to potentially put Egwene through that DURING the last battle...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by braus View Post
    Still think i rather reread older books than this one though. Like i dont know how many times ive read shadows rising/fires in heaven and knife of dreams, but those i will keep reading again and again. This one... well while it was entertaining im not sure i find that many scenes worth repeating
    KoD was OK, but TSR and FoH are two of the best books in the series, though I still enjoyed the original 3 the best. I haven't finished AMoL but it's interesting so far.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    you know, the more i think about it, the more i wonder: what does a smart, headstrong, self reliant young women like Egwene see in Gawyn besides a pretty face? the guy is surely a capable swordsmen, but as far as brains goes...well lets think: despite everyone telling him otherwise, he continues to hate Rand Al'thor until the end of ToM when he knows that not only is Elayne alive, but so is his mother. he doesnt understand that its the warders job to SUPPORT his (or her in a rare occasion) Aes Sedai, and he KNOWLINGLY used not just 1, but 3 Terrangeal (spelling?) that will end up KILLING you, and tries to take on a FORSAKEN all on his own. correct me if im wrong, but shouldn't Egwene be a bit BEYOND choosing a warder/husband who is just a pretty face and extremely capable swordsmen? flame me all you want, but gawyn comes across a bit arrogant and...stupid. i mean for gods sake, he knows what happens to an Aes Sedai whos warder dies, and he thinks to potentially put Egwene through that DURING the last battle...
    Well, I think a lot of that had to do with the earlier immaturity that was Egwene prior her to being raised to Amyrlin in Salidar. While he saved her life during the Seanchan invasion of the White Tower, she only bonded him because of her earlier feelings, even though she was reluctant to bond him after the attack.

In the end, Gawyn got what was coming to him. While he is head strong and he can fight, he was far too reckless and it cost him his life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hopping to pick up the book sometime this week so I can finally start reading, it's driving me crazy knowing it' out and being unable to get it.
    Life doesn’t get easier, we just grow stronger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameri View Post
    Yup, enjoy the book everyone!
    Yep! Just got it today! Now to rush through the serious (second read through, just trying to pick up anything I missed) so I can read it!
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    BAH!!!!! I know what spoiler tags are! Why the hell am I clicking them anyway!!!!?!?1/1!@?!2?@?1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    BAH!!!!! I know what spoiler tags are! Why the hell am I clicking them anyway!!!!?!?1/1!@?!2?@?1
    Cause the little black boxes are tempting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Cause the little black boxes are tempting
    I did it when reading through GoT too, Wikipedia is the devil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if a mod can change the title to say WoT: A Memory of Light (spoilers!)

Just so we don't have to keep using the spoiler tag.

Alright I have to ask this, does anyone else absolutely just hate Elayne? Through most of the later books I just wanted to kick her in the teeth. I also disliked Gawyn... So maybe there is a connection there.
    "Being polite to a person is not a sign of respect for them. It is merely a sign of a good upbringing and a balanced nature."

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemorte View Post
    Alright I have to ask this, does anyone else absolutely just hate Elayne? Through most of the later books I just wanted to kick her in the teeth. I also disliked Gawyn... So maybe there is a connection there.
    She was definitely not a favourite but I enjoyed her parts far more than anything with Egwene in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ameri View Post
    She was definitely not a favourite but I enjoyed her parts far more than anything with Egwene in it.
    Really? See I would have to disagree completely with that. I loved Egwene's part. Her rise to Amyrlin was great. But I guess you can have your opinion... No matter how wrong it is. :P
    "Being polite to a person is not a sign of respect for them. It is merely a sign of a good upbringing and a balanced nature."