Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I'll take Voter ID laws for 500.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trebek
    These conspiracies are often labelled with a popular kitchen product for wrapping leftovers and lining pans, and sometimes, hat making.
    What is a tinfoil hat conspiracy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is it some kind of giant secret to Republicans that their lawmakers deliberately designed many voter ID laws to be deliberately onerous on the poor, and many were repealed by the courts for this very reason?

Or is Tiny just being obtuse?

You don't win the 500 FYI.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Is it some kind of giant secret to Republicans that their lawmakers deliberately designed many voter ID laws to be deliberately onerous on the poor, and many were repealed by the courts for this very reason?

Or is Tiny just being obtuse?

You don't win the 500 FYI.
    Please, let's see a Federal voter ID law citation. I'll wait.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Everyone's fine with restricting rights from felons because they don't ever think of the ramifications of creating a legal unperson status. So many people in this thread are unironically advocating for stripping basic rights from undesirables.
    Certainly so, since they set themselves in that category. There is also a way to restore rights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Typical Ameri-centric thinking.

You do realize that there is an (almost) entire world outside of your borders, right?
    Then to demonstrate, find us a country with zero gun crime.

15+ Year Old Account
    You'll find many state ones.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Certainly so, since they set themselves in that category.
    How many rights do you think convicted criminals should lose even after they've paid their debt to society? Or do you think getting caught with an eighth of weed or arrested at a student protest should be enough to put you into permanent second-class citizen status?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Not my fault gun ownership has an inverse correlation with education.
    That's just simply made up. As you know, most gun owners have multiple guns, the truely large collections have quite a bit. They're in the hands of lawyers, doctors, folks with money. Look at such restrictive places as NYC and you'll see the wealthy educated elite are the ones with the connections to get guns.

You'll find many state ones.
    Oh, so there is no Federal voter ID law? Is there any evidence of a push by Republicans to make this happen at the Federal level?

I'll take my $500.

How many rights do you think convicted criminals should lose even after they've paid their debt to society? Or do you think getting caught with an eighth of weed or arrested at a student protest should be enough to put you into permanent second-class citizen status?
    Firstly we're talking felons, not anyone convicted of anything. Secondly, you can debate the merit of which offenses should be felonies.

In another sense though, consider probation or parole. They are a part of the penalty in many cases without being prison time. They want to restrict and observe without hindering your ability to function in society.

Likewise, do you believe that someone should never lose the capacity to drive due to their own actions?

And of course, your selective quoting left out "there is also a way to restore rights", so that way you could decry a "permanent second-class citizen status".

You could of course also debate the merit of reducing the difficulty of restoring said rights, but that's a tangent.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's been no mention of it on the federal level until this page. Perhaps you should stop making things up.

There have been many state gun control laws passed, as well as mild federal measures. Since the SCOTUS ruling allowing states to create voter ID laws that weren't onerous on voters, many red states jumped on that bandwagon and subsequently had their unabashedly anti-poor anti-minority (and in one case, anti-woman) voter ID laws struck down by federal courts.

Perhaps that's how you got confused.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2014-07-24 at 08:44 PM.

There's been no mention of it on the federal level until this page. Perhaps you should stop making things up.
    That's the tinfoil hat conspiracy I was referring to. Democrats crying about how Republicans want to prevent black people from voting with a Voter ID is no different than Republicans crying about how Obama is going to take away their guns.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    That's the tinfoil hat conspiracy I was referring to. Democrats crying about how Republicans want to prevent black people from voting with a Voter ID is no different than Republicans crying about how Obama is going to take away their guns.
    Except... you know... one happened, one didn't.

Texas pretty shamelessly made their voter ID laws so restrictive that it would have prevented married women from voting if they had registered to vote with their maiden names.

Except... you know... one happened, one didn't.

Texas pretty shamelessly made their voter ID laws so restrictive that it would have prevented married women from voting if they had registered to vote with their maiden names.
    Clearly you mean neither happened. If we're going to argue about red herrings related to States, don't forget about NYC confiscating long guns that hold more than 5 rounds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Frankly I don't trust that most people are intelligent enough to vote, but they still get the right to vote anyway.
    so we´re comparing the right to own guns to the right to vote? great, sure why not, that´s obviously in the same category
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    HMU when the snark feast ends.

Most of this bullshit comes from people that come in to complain about a side or specific posters. It's fucking dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    so we´re comparing the right to own guns to the right to vote? great, sure why not, that´s obviously in the same category
    You mean constitutional rights come in different categories?

I don't claim to be smarter than anyone.

But I still know what minding my own fucking business means.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should go up to random people having conversations and scream "Mind your own damn business nanny state hippies!" and see if they stop having conversations ever again. You apparently believe that works.

That's just simply made up. As you know, most gun owners have multiple guns, the truely large collections have quite a bit. They're in the hands of lawyers, doctors, folks with money. Look at such restrictive places as NYC and you'll see the wealthy educated elite are the ones with the connections to get guns.
    Its really not made up, and has been linked multiple times. Gun owners tend to be less educated than non owners. Sorry if it is a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Yes, they literally are in the same category.

Likewise, do you believe that someone should never lose the capacity to drive due to their own actions?
    There is no right to drive a car. There is a constitutional right to own guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Its really not made up, and has been linked multiple times. Gun owners tend to be less educated than non owners. Sorry if it is a shock.
    What laws should be set based on this information? None? Ok then.