Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I would create a movie with that concept, a hacker hacking the teleportation machine, making the new clones his slaves or smthing by putting strange memories in their new brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    To be clear this is how the teleporters work in Star Trek for anybody wondering.
    The transporter in Star Trek converts the object into energy, transports it to the destination, and then rematerializes it. The teleporter described in the OP creates a duplicate of the item and then destroys the original. They're not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Oh look, yet ANOTHER thread about whether or not you'd be okay with clones.

Why can't we just use the threads we already have on this topic? :\
    This thread appears to be more about "Are you willing to kill yourself just so that a duplicate of yourself can arrive at a location faster?" than "Are you okay with clones?"

To which I answer no. There'd be no point in getting somewhere quicker if I'm not the one to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    The transporter in Star Trek converts the object into energy, transports it to the destination, and then rematerializes it. The teleporter described in the OP creates a duplicate of the item and then destroys the original. They're not the same.

This thread appears to be more about "Are you willing to kill yourself just so that a duplicate of yourself can arrive at a location faster?" than "Are you okay with clones?"

To which I answer no. There'd be no point in getting somewhere quicker if I'm not the one to get there.
    Are you sure every time ive looked up how the Star Trek teleporters work its always copy pasta, delete the original.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Are you sure every time ive looked up how the Star Trek teleporters work its always copy pasta, delete the original.
    I don't have any "official" sources like specific Star Trek episodes, documentaries, encyclopedias, books, or whatever else, but from a simple Google search (and what I recall from my watchings of Star Trek and TNG), it disassembles, transports, and reassembles matter.

Wikipedia and the Star Trek Wiki appear to agree on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Star Trek transporters allow the person being transported to maintain consciousness in the matter stream, which I'd think is impossible, but that's why it's science fiction.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

This is true, the episode that proves it is the one with 2 Commander Riker's, well.. one is a lieutenant, They are both Riker, exact perfect copies, all through a transporter accident. On top of that, they have very different personalities and likes/dislikes, even though they are supposed to be perfect copies of each other.

Im not sure of the episode, but ya..

Also, numerous episodes that describe "pattern buffer" that holds the pattern of your body, Scotty reinforced one in the dyson sphere episode on The next generation, that prevented it from degrading so they could make a new scotty.

There was another episode in season 2 where Dr. Pulsaski got a disease, and they used her original DNA to recreate her body for her.

-edit-

The perfect transporter I think would be a device that creates a portal where you are, and where you need to be, that slowly drops down over you, and does the same at whatever location the other portal is. That way there is no disassembling matter or anything at all, and it really is instantaneous :P
    Last edited by Nilinor; 2012-12-19 at 09:40 PM.

Deleted
    sigh, why do you guys care? Lets put it like this, If you could "live" forever by having clones of you and a memory device saving all your memories and transfer them at your body's death, would you not use this tech then?

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    This is true, the episode that proves it is the one with 2 Commander Riker's, well.. one is a lieutenant, They are both Riker, exact perfect copies, all through a transporter accident. On top of that, they have very different personalities and likes/dislikes, even though they are supposed to be perfect copies of each other.

Im not sure of the episode, but ya..

Also, numerous episodes that describe "pattern buffer" that holds the pattern of your body, Scotty reinforced one in the dyson sphere episode on The next generation, that prevented it from degrading so they could make a new scotty.

There was another episode in season 2 where Dr. Pulsaski got a disease, and they used her original DNA to recreate her body for her.
    Of course the transporter is required to maintain the make-up of what it is transporting in order to rematerialize it at its destination. If anything, it deletes the original and then creates a copy out of the original's matter, not creates a copy and then deletes the original. Not that I'm sure it makes a difference, but now I'm interested in the official geeky how-it-works for the transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by pippen1001 View Post
    sigh, why do you guys care? Lets put it like this, If you could "live" forever by having clones of you and a memory device saving all your memories and transfer them at your body's death, would you not use this tech then?
    I would not, because I don't believe that it would be me.

Reminds me of the movie "The Prestige". Great movie! Cloning!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Dunno where you've looked it up.
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Transporter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    I would not, because I don't believe that it would be me.
    Technically you are just random electronic impulses that are shooting off in your blood bag of a body, If an exact copy of you are made, it is still you

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    The problem is that a clone with all your memories is still not you.
    After having been unconscious temporarily (let's say during sleep), are you still the same person? Or are you dying every night, and someone else wakes up the next morning?

Realities of Teleportation:

1. No matter how often you shower, your body is host to a ridiculous number of foreign organisms, from fungus that lives on your toes to viruses that live dormant in your system to mites that live on your eyelashes to the 300-cell-thick coat of bacteria on your teeth. And if you're thinking that all you need to do is develop some kind of better decontamination procedure, think again -- a lot of those microorganisms are your friends. You have bacteria in your gut that helps digest your meals. If you're a lady, your vagina is packed with little elves called vaginal flora that help protect you against yeast infections and other ladyborne diseases. All of that shit needs to make the teleporter trip with you, if you don't want to be extremely sick when you come out the other end.

2. Facebook has 800 million users, and all of their billions of photos, videos and status updates take up about 30 petabytes on their servers, which are housed in multiple massive million-square-foot data centers. The storage needed to transport one human would take all of Facebook's corporate resources ... 30 times over. You'd need something akin to the cooling system of a nuclear power plant to run it.

3. Your typical Star Trek-style transporter will zap your body into energy, teleport it to its location and then put it back together again, hopefully in the right order. That seems like the easy part after we fix the data storage problem, right? The problem is, when you convert a human body into energy, what pops out is the equivalent of 1,000 hydrogen bombs exploding at the same time.

4. Geo-orbit.org describes many of the myriad problems we have in trying to get a good signal from one point to another. The aforementioned problem is known as "rain fade," or what happens when you try to fire a signal horizontally through a bunch of shitty weather. It doesn't work out so well.

5. Let's say you weigh around 200 pounds. If we say that the full force of the sun could create a full ounce of matter, with 16 ounces in a pound, that just means you would need the combined energy of 3,200 suns to reassemble a human being.

6. Some scientists think it will be possible someday to transfer your mind from one place to another, but even they admit that "consciousness" is a nebulous and ill-defined experience. If you're the religious type or just otherwise believe in the soul, at what stage is the soul getting transported? Is your ghost screaming through space along the beam of your disintegrated body? If you don't believe in the soul, then how are we keeping intact the chain of consciousness that links the person you are when you go to bed tonight with the person you will be when you wake up tomorrow? As common knowledge will tell you, when the brain stops, consciousness ends. So unless you find a way to keep that part of you on life support while you step into a machine that melts your brain into a ribbon of energy, then you're dead the moment you hit the switch.

So I am thinking NO.

Deleted
    This ^

Defeats the object of a teleporter if you don't actually go anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is like that movie The Prestige. 'cept you have to kill your former self in the movie/

Anyway, maybe? Kind of an odd decision.

The problem is....this is a philosophical debate. When one is in the presence of their clone you cease to refer to the other as "I" and instead as "you". Furthermore, despite being physically different...we have no idea if the clone would act in the exact same way the original would. Plenty of Sci-Fi out there suggests that a clone, with no knowledge of being a clone and without seeing his clone, would go forth and act as if it were the original.

Personally, I have no problems with this. Assuming the clone transfers consciousness and inherits my strengths and all my weaknesses...if I was going to a cool place I'd be down.

It seems like your teleporter is not a teleporter at all. It seems like it's a really big cloning device that just has the output really far away. A physical clone with no memories and no knowledge of the original would be like an infant in a man's body. No one would want that.
    Last edited by Psilar; 2012-12-19 at 10:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Would you use a teleporter if..
    Seemed safe enough in Spaceballs.

Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Except a clone of yourself with all of your copied memories isn't you, it is a separate person that is not connected to you. You would not see through their eyes or feel what they felt. Their reactions might be the exact same and nobody else would be able to tell the difference, but that doesn't mean that they are you.
    That depends on what you consider as being "You." As far as I'm concerned my existence isn't entirely based on the physical representation of "me." For example losing an eye or limb doesn't make me any less of who I am. My experiences, thoughts, emotions, and beliefs are who I am. If those are replicated to the new physical body[with minimal corruption(no corruption would be preferred of course)] I can't imagine there being that big of an issue in the end.

But that could just be the PC Tech in me talking and comparing the transfer of the above to the new body almost like transferring data from an old retired PC to a new one, the data being transferred is still the same as it was on the old one it just found a new home in another system.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    That depends on what you consider as being "You." As far as I'm concerned my existence isn't entirely based on the physical representation of "me." For example losing an eye or limb doesn't make me any less of who I am. My experiences, thoughts, emotions, and beliefs are who I am. If those are replicated to the new physical body[with minimal corruption(no corruption would be preferred of course)] I can't imagine there being that big of an issue in the end.

But that could just be the PC Tech in me talking and comparing the transfer of the above to the new body almost like transferring data from an old retired PC to a new one, the data being transferred is still the same as it was on the old one it just found a new home in another system.
    It's not the physical, it's the continuous experience of being myself. That won't exist with teleportation of that kind. Teleportation that actually destroys the original isn't acceptable and I would daresay not teleportation. If you can go "What if the original wasn't destroyed? Would they be the same person experiencing the same things?" and have the answer be "No." then it isn't acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post

You will die. And in your place there will be a person that looks the same as you did and has your memories. But you will be dead. As in you will stop existing.