Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Talking to them won't do anything except make the situation worse for you. Just call the cops.

4. Random Thumping on the wall. I’ve heard loud thumping on my wall and it’s very loud and annoying. It sounds like someone is hitting against the wall. My belief is the dog they have may be jumping round and hitting against the wall.

thats not the dog...

Assuming you don't live in a super low rent building there should be a form for noise complaints in the rental office --- fill it out, take a few extras for when they do it again. Believe it or not I've seen several tenants evicted for half the behavior you're describing.

Punch them in the mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    With all fairness, whlst your arguments may seem valid to yourself, they don't seem too much of an issue. Dog barking for a whole hour? That's not very long whatsoever.
    Are you kidding me a dog barking for 1hr you don't think is braking any rules in my lease. The man over for me just got kicked out for his dog barking.

Noise: no musical instruments shall be played and no radio or TV shall set shall be operated at any time in such manner as to disturb or annoy other occupants of the building, nor shall other noises be made witch will disturb annoy any occupants of building. Operation electrical devices which interfere with radio or TV reception is not permitted..

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Assuming you don't live in a super low rent building there should be a form for noise complaints in the rental office --- fill it out, take a few extras for when they do it again. Believe it or not I've seen several tenants evicted for half the behavior you're describing.
    The problem with those situations. I've seen people being written up about that. All it is is a letter from their office informing you that someone made a complaint. It just explains pretty much and since he lives so close unless they're is someone else living close by they will right away know its him. It might be effective. I think he wants a way to calm the situation without confronting.

Which is almost impossible. Maybe if you ignore it then it might quiet down. Not likely if they have a dog running around.

It's not really that long for it to be a major disturbance. One hour isn't really that long a time. Now if it was for 10+ hours a day when the family where out and all it did was bark constantly, then you would have a point, but one hour is absolutely nothing. Heck, babies cry for a lot longer than that, you going to demand they get thrown out also?

With all honesty, you don't really have too much of a case, whilst you may *think* you do, it's not really sufficient enough to warrant someone being evicted because they are *disturbing* your precious silence.
    1. A baby is not a dog. A baby is human.
    2. The dog is not paying rent. Therefor the dog has no rights here.
    3. A baby can't be disciplined but dogs can, If not than by by dog. A dog is not a right it's a privilege.
    4. The man across from me got kicked out for the same thing these people are doing.
    Last edited by Preston Garvey; 2012-12-23 at 06:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try to talk to them first. If they are cool, awesome. If they are pricks, just go to the landlord/property manager. Cops do not need to be involved unless the property manager does nothing, or you hear shit get crazy. Can't fault someone for calling cops if you think there is a domestic issue.

If you share the same landlord it will be much easier than if they are just random neighbors. Cops do not do jack shit about noise complaints. Property managers usually have right to at least fine them if it is in lease, which it usually is.

Really though, if you do not like to deal with other peoples' noise, like me, apartments and the like will never be any good.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-12-23 at 05:51 PM.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    The problem with those situations. I've seen people being written up about that. All it is is a letter from their office informing you that someone made a complaint. It just explains pretty much and since he lives so close unless they're is someone else living close by they will right away know its him. It might be effective. I think he wants a way to calm the situation without confronting.

Which is almost impossible. Maybe if you ignore it then it might quiet down. Not likely if they have a dog running around.
    What you said is 100% right.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not really that long for it to be a major disturbance. One hour isn't really that long a time. Now if it was for 10+ hours a day when the family where out and all it did was bark constantly, then you would have a point, but one hour is absolutely nothing. Heck, babies cry for a lot longer than that, you going to demand they get thrown out also?

With all honesty, you don't really have too much of a case, whilst you may *think* you do, it's not really sufficient enough to warrant someone being evicted because they are *disturbing* your precious silence.

Also, you conveniently ignored what I suggested, which is make a video blog of the *noise*, and submit that as evidence, as right now, you have absolutely nothing to go on.
    Breaking the contract is absolutely sufficient to warrant eviction.

Also, you conveniently ignored what I suggested, which is make a video blog of the *noise*, and submit that as evidence, as right now, you have absolutely nothing to go on.
    I dont know. I kinda don't agree with this. If it's minor noises or if its something thats very loud and disturbing. The last thing I think people who spend much of their time at home is some loud bashing next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Breaking the contract is absolutely sufficient to warrant eviction.
    and that's the thing i don't want then to get kicked out. I'm not a bad guy.

I honestly think you are over-reacting. I don't see much of a deal with everything you are describing. To be honest, looking from the way you describe things, I believe it is YOU who who is the problem as you appear to have a very short fuse.
    Feel free to complain, however remember that complains can kick start major drama which can lead to a series of very unfortunate events.
    Often people are not even aware of the noise they are creating. Try to have a talk to them about unrelated stuff, get to know them a little and then approach the matter.
    Dogs bark, people listen to music, people fight. Ooop dee doo!
    Last edited by Kalanu; 2012-12-23 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    1. a baby is not a dog. Baby is human.
    2. dogs are not paying rent. therefor dog has no rights here.
    3. the man across from me got kicked out for the same thing these people are doing.
    1. A baby might not be a dog, but it is surely just as noisy and annoying to some people.
    2. In all apartments I've been in, the dog doesn't pay rent because it's a dog. The owner of the dog however, usually needs to pay either an increased security deposit or a higher rent, or both. This means that rent is being paid for the dog and does have rights.
    3. He may have gotten kicked out for that, or for other reasons. I don't know about your building, but most building management don't go around and tell the exact reasons people get evicted due to privacy issues. While you may be right, it's pure speculation at this point.

As for what you can do, to me it seems pretty mild, so I definitely wouldn't get the police involved unless I heard violence during the fights. The best solution I think would be to talk to them. They might not know the noises are that loud and disturbing. I've lived in apartments for quite awhile, and I have a very loud speaker system that I try to keep at lower levels as to not disturb anybody. As of yet, I haven't gotten any complaints. I've gone outside my apartment with it on before and I can clearly hear it from the hall so I've been worried about complaints, but never received any. If you talk to them, you might find they didn't know. Perhaps they lived in an apartment like mine that apparently has pretty good sound-proofing and they think all of them do. Most people, when confronted, will apologize and try to fix the problem. If you talk to them and they either don't work to improve it or they decide to be worse just to be asshats, then you have a case and should report it to the building management.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try talking to them first, if nothing comes of it then it's time to let the building manager know.
    (Maybe even a phone call to your local city hall to get the Noise Bylaw people to come out and hear the dog)

I live in a 2 story condo... The walls and floors are extremely thin, I can even hear my neighbour peeing if I'm near the bathroom.
    I received an official letter from the strata re:The noise from me. I came back to strata with the knowledge of actually
    living in the building, explaining how I can hear my neighbour shower, cook in the kitchen, talk on the phone etc.

Nothing came of it for a month or so when I received a 2nd letter from Strata about the exact same situation.
    At this point, I went to the neighbour to actually talk to him directly instead of going through Strata.
    I even said to him... "Turn on your shower and come stand in my living room, you'll see how thin the walls are."

He agreed and finally realized that there was nothing to be done about the sound, it's an issue that the developer
    overlooked when they built the building.

The point is... Had he just come and talked with me, the problem would've been solved without any external involvement.

(Mind you, my situation was nowhere near the same as your but had we just spoken to each other as neighbours
    alot would've been resolved instead of causing more drama than needed.)
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

Noise is noise, regardless of the source. A baby doesn't pay rent also...
    Besides, if the property has a strict "No pets" policy, then you have an argument, but I am guessing they do allow pets on the premises, so a minor amount of noise is acceptable to the landlords eyes, and yes, a whole one hour of barking *is* a minor annoyance.
    I am also very doubtful the man across from you got kicked out for the same thing, noise disturbance takes a long time to prove, is very subjective, and is a total pita from a landlords perspective. More likely he didn't pay his rent on time and got evicted for that, or he breached some more serious rule. Landlord don't generally go around telling people why another got evicted, at least from where I am.

Your totally ignoring their tenancy agreement also, and their rights as tenant's, something that is quite common in stuff like this. I am not saying they are allowed to do annoying things, but a little bit of noise is acceptable. Sure you get some great tenant's that never make a sound, but a little bit of noise is quite acceptable to my mind personally.
    A baby can't be disciplined but dogs can, If not than by by dog. A dog is not a right it's a privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by S Blieft View Post
    Try talking to them first, if nothing comes of it then it's time to let the building manager know.
    (Maybe even a phone call to your local city hall to get the Noise Bylaw people to come out and hear the dog)

I live in a 2 story condo... The walls and floors are extremely thin, I can even hear my neighbour peeing if I'm near the bathroom.
    I received an official letter from the strata re:The noise from me. I came back to strata with the knowledge of actually
    living in the building, explaining how I can hear my neighbour shower, cook in the kitchen, talk on the phone etc.

Nothing came of it for a month or so when I received a 2nd letter from Strata about the exact same situation.
    At this point, I went to the neighbour to actually talk to him directly instead of going through Strata.
    I even said to him... "Turn on your shower and come stand in my living room, you'll see how thin the walls are."

He agreed and finally realized that there was nothing to be done about the sound, it's an issue that the developer
    overlooked when they built the building.

The point is... Had he just come and talked with me, the problem would've been solved without any external involvement.

(Mind you, my situation was nowhere near the same as your but had we just spoken to each other as neighbours
    alot would've been resolved instead of causing more drama than needed.)
    this is true i know lots of people here get kicked out for dogs here. maybe i will talk to them but i don't know

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    this is true i know lots of people here get kicked out for dogs here. maybe i will talk to them but i don't know
    There's always the option of an anonymous note left on their door too.
    Tricky if your building only has a handful of suites, but something to think about.
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

I give up. Make your "complaint" see how far it gets you (beyond sniggers and rolled eyes behind your back). Your landlord will peg you as a pain in the ass very quickly, and ignore you when you *do* have a valid complaint.
    first off if you want to really know how the last man got kicked out. it was me. I taped the noise that he made and he got kicked out because of it. so don't sit here and tell me what wont happen. I felt bad for getting him kicked out. They told him to stop and he didn't. After he found out who complained on him his threatened my life and killed my mailbox. don't want to go thru that again.
    Last edited by Preston Garvey; 2012-12-23 at 06:34 PM.

Well could fight back, do stuff to piss them off.

Arguments, sounds domestic, call the cops.

There is a fix for the dog too, but some will say its evil.