Got thor out of a random box last night.
    Much lightning.
    Many spinning strikes.
    Very excite.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I can solo kill Midtown bosses so quickly as Invisible Woman- less than a minute for single bosses and about 1 minute for the Sinister Six/Sentinels, that the Midtown players asked me to stop. I literally kill the bosses faster than their reinforcements can spawn.

Scarlet Witch is only slightly less powerful than my Invisible Woman. However I mention this not as braggadocio but because it highlights for me the drastic difference in character power.

Ghost Rider, Venom, Juggernaut or Psylocke melee I can drop Man-Ape in about 15/s on average- faster if my signatures are up. Yet playing other melee heroes is nowhere near such power level. Not even close, Daredevil/Colossus/Luke Cage/Black Panther/etc.

The same disparity exist in less extreme among mostly ranged heroes but the difference between Scarlet Witch/IW/Surfer/Iron Man are no less keen. Clear speed, solo-ability due to incredible defense (IW is nigh unkillable) and resource capacity is pretty extreme. Toss a legendary weapon on these heroes and I can't even see what the thought behind Doom, Bucky or Ms. Marvel was aside from likeability.

I read on Reddit a user challenged the devs to clear the Axis raid with "low tier" heroes. Sensationalism aside, I think the challenge is rooted in odd scaling this game possesses due to it's limited linear design. Perhaps more importantly perhaps it's singularity of class design too.

When Rocket Racoon gets a +16 bonus to turrets it can be hard pressed even find a reason to swap out that level 57 armor. Yet alone a reason why I need to slot anything beyond the basic attack.

Just some really odd scaling.

I imagine trying to balance the game would be a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I imagine trying to balance the game would be a nightmare.
    Perhaps. Though it is a problem they created due to the design of the game. Singularly designed classes (or heroes in this case)allow for discrete adjustments within a limited set of parameters; buff this skill, nerf this other one. Part of the reason why designers create classes (heroes) in this manner is because it is easy(ier) to balance and allows for even easier theme association.

So there is little excuse why the heroes are so drastic in capability other than incompetence or laziness. If you purposely designed your game in a limited linear, singularly focused manner of progression than all the variables can be adjusted along the same limited linear scale.

Ideally the differences in hero power should come from mechanics. But they don't in this game, most heroes are slight re-skins. Many skill operate the same with only arbitrary adjustments - this character's dash restores health, another dash has no cost; this aoe has increased crit, this aoe applies a debuff, etc, etc. So the differences are usually just a matter of scaling. +1 to this, +3 to that thing- where this and that thing many have dramatically different effect by character.

Truly, Magneto's aoe isn't all that different than Doom's spam-able aoe. Bu the scaling of Mag's AOE (and animation routine) is so dramatic than you may as well not even use Doom's aoe. Melee suffers from this effect a lot.

IW being awesome clear speed because of her mechanics is interesting design. Magneto being awesome because he just has a lot of damage is poor design.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I'm pretty shallow. I only bought Ms. Marvel because every one of her costumes is fabulous. Fuck me.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-06-07 at 09:26 PM.

well to be fair, Ms Marvel is pretty good and fun to play, at least I think so

10+ Year Old Account
    Daredevil has a pretty fast clear speed. It was actually the fastest i ever leveled a char, due to how fast i was finishing LQs. The Rebounding Clubs fire and forget and the signature being up so fast is a beauty to marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    Daredevil has a pretty fast clear speed. It was actually the fastest i ever leveled a char, due to how fast i was finishing LQs. The Rebounding Clubs fire and forget and the signature being up so fast is a beauty to marvel.
    I c wat u did thar

Can i play as Dr. Strange or Dormmamu and is the game worth trying?
    Roland, Oscuridad of Sargeras
    <Design> 13/13M HFC - Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by KingdomOblivion View Post
    Yes to Dr Strange and it's extremely worth trying.

It's free, anything free is worth trying. Even if it's just level 10 characters. I will probably wait to buy doom until he is free to play to level 10. For some reason I just can't get into venom, so I'm debating thing, hulk, scarlet witch, Thor or storm. Or just buying a hero.

Now is a good time to start, as next week, part of the 2-year anniversary, you'll get another free hero beyond the one free pick you get on your account, plus the login award for day 2 of playing nets you 400 Eternity Splinters to use to unlock either one 400 ES hero, 2 200 ES heroes, or two random hero unlocks for a total of 350 ES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninaThorstone View Post
    I c wat u did thar

/10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The same disparity exist in less extreme among mostly ranged heroes but the difference between Scarlet Witch/IW/Surfer/Iron Man are no less keen. Clear speed, solo-ability due to incredible defense (IW is nigh unkillable) and resource capacity is pretty extreme. Toss a legendary weapon on these heroes and I can't even see what the thought behind Doom, Bucky or Ms. Marvel was aside from likeability.
    Part of the issue, I think, with Ms. Marvel is that she's both from among the first grouping of heroes so her basic design has its foundation in that era, combined with a lack of frequent tuning, and I believe a rushed 52-review (changes in I believe December 2013 completely gutted her, so her review debut was bumped up to launch alongside Emma Frost's review).

Definitely not the same hero she was at launch, with renewable damage reduction shields and an active blocking shield that could be increased to block over 100% of damage from the front (making her one of the few that could survive a Rhino charge to the face with ease), staying at range because defense was broken and melee was deadly for all but the tankiest of builds, and of course having to build photonic energy the same way you'd build something like rage...

But her improvements came before their current approach, and she hasn't really had proper tuning adjustments since then.

Now, why Doom and Bucky, who are both recent additions, suffer from improper tuning as well? I believe "da fuq?" would be a proper response.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Okay, I'm pretty shallow. I only bought Ms. Marvel because every one of her costumes is fabulous. Fuck me.
    Even then they need a polish pass. Comparing her Captain Marvel outfit (which I've been wearing since launch, as she's been my main since I decided I liked playing her in beta) to some of the more recent stuff and you can see the difference in quality.

The actual design, though? She has a history of great outfits, so no surprise there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think some of them are just not meant to be equivalent and that's for the sake of i guess you could say rp reasons. Ms marvel should be stronger so if she's under tuned that's just a dev issue but as much as I love cap and bucky they aren't omega like Jean grey and scarlet witch. The scarlet witch literally bends reality in one of the comics to grant everyone's wish. How could daredevil or punisher compete with that?

Trying to figure out who I should get for my free hero next week. I have Surfer, Thing, Cap, and Colossus. Of those I like Surfer the best. He just zips around blowing up the whole screen. Which heros have a similar power level?

Started playing it, took Hawkeye to 10 then switched to Strange. Loving the game thus far. Should I be abusing these events in that first city or should I continue just questing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazgrim View Post
    Trying to figure out who I should get for my free hero next week. I have Surfer, Thing, Cap, and Colossus. Of those I like Surfer the best. He just zips around blowing up the whole screen. Which heros have a similar power level?
    Cap is really nice, if you like his style. And if you mean movement hero's ? Nova and juggy.

- - - Updated - - -

Started playing it, took Hawkeye to 10 then switched to Strange. Loving the game thus far. Should I be abusing these events in that first city or should I continue just questing?
    Midtown isnt bad to level, On mondays its midtown madness(you get a chest from every boss) making it very nice to level. If you want fastest way : as soon as you hit 25, start doing legendary quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazgrim View Post
    I would suggest leveling the 600 ES Heroes to 10 and trying each out. As using it on a 600 ES hero would save you the most ES in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by padie View Post
    Midtown isnt bad to level, On mondays its midtown madness(you get a chest from every boss) making it very nice to level. If you want fastest way : as soon as you hit 25, start doing legendary quests.
    LQ's open at 20. Most do Holo-Sim till then. I do MM as I find it better for me.

Once you hit level 20, do the legendary quests. You can just play through the story missions the first time through as well. But after that, I would just do legendary quests and the challenges (such as Midtown patrol and Industry City)

I'm assuming armors I wanna go for are the same stages as wow? grey/white -> blue -> purple -> yellow? Last question, is there a disenchanter or should I just npc/drop all the gear I'm not using.

Thanks for the replies, really helpful!