Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Scientists develop tree that can remove 1 ton of CO2 per day.

So in environmental news today, scientists have developed an artificial tree that is 1000 times more efficient than natural trees at removing CO2 from our atmosphere.

The cost is quite high at $20,000/apiece but I imagine environmentalists would think the price worth it. In addition, since carbon dioxide produced in Beijing can be removed in Chile, it doesn't matter what countries decide to purchase these trees to help our atmosphere.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2012...an-the-skies/2

Depends. I'd still assume natural trees are still superior in terms of ecological contribution.

i found this part even more interesting:
    However, Lackner thinks the gas is too useful to petrify. His idea is to use the carbon dioxide to make liquid fuels for transport vehicles. Carbon dioxide can react with water to produce carbon monoxide and hydrogen – a combination known as syngas because it can be readily turned into hydrocarbon fuels such as methanol or diesel. The process requires an energy input, but this could be provided by renewable sources, such as wind energy, Lackner suggests.

Deleted
    More interesting again, is that the UK can't access that section of the BBC...

We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee. It is run commercially by BBC Worldwide, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the BBC, the profits made from it go back to BBC programme-makers to help fund great new BBC programmes. You can find out more about BBC Worldwide and its digital activities at www.bbcworldwide.com.
    Besides, Global Warming was invented as a tax. I don't believe we have much of a difference within it, and the earth is doing its natural cycle.
    Last edited by mmoc294ed7b9d9; 2013-01-18 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Depends. I'd still assume natural trees are still superior in terms of ecological contribution.
    I... what?

What could be more useful than offsetting 10% of our carbon production at this point in time?

Quote Originally Posted by raze664 View Post
    More interesting again, is that the UK can't access that section of the BBC...
    That is retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I... what?

What could be more useful than offsetting 10% of our carbon production at this point in time?
    Plastic trees don't nearly replace a forest in terms of habitat and whatnots.

Deleted
    I... what?

Well only having these supertrees would create a bad kind of monoculture.
    However realistically speaking these trees will be used in farms especially made to combat carbon produce, nullyfing any issue.

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 06:55 PM ----------

Plastic trees don't nearly replace a forest in terms of habitat and whatnots.
    They are not ment to replace forests in general, just enough to lessen mother natures burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiell View Post
    They are not ment to replace forests in general, just enough to lessen mother natures burden.
    Indeed, but we need to make sure that we do not let the mentality that these are some sort of permanent innovative replacements get into our heads.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty awesome actually. Making any sort of significant dent in the CO2 levels would be a welcomed changed. Though I would worry that a mentality of "Those trees will take care of the CO2 so fuck regulating it!"

Cue Radiohead

Anyways, sounds intersting enough. I could certainly see stuff like this placed in normally non-natural habitats to have a beneficial impact. Good find.

15+ Year Old Account
    So in environmental news today, scientists have developed an artificial tree that is 1000 times more efficient than natural trees at removing CO2 from our atmosphere.

The cost is quite high at $20,000/apiece but I imagine environmentalists would think the price worth it. In addition, since carbon dioxide produced in Beijing can be removed in Chile, it doesn't matter what countries decide to purchase these trees to help our atmosphere.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2012...an-the-skies/2
    Interesting, we should commercialize this and subsidize it, surround China and India with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Deleted
    That BBC Future section is fucking awesome. I got sucked in into a bunch of articles. This RSS feed is a keeper.

I... what?

I think its because the synthetic trees dont make oxygen and provide no produce for eating.

So basically, every country can just purchase a bunch of these trees and put them to use, I can keep my SUV, and we don't have to have this crappy debate anymore? I'm game!

Deleted
    Indeed, but we need to make sure that we do not let the mentality that these are some sort of permanent innovative replacements get into our heads.
    9,400km^2
    Of those trees could offset the complete US output

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    That BBC Future section is fucking awesome. I got sucked in into a bunch of articles. This RSS feed is a keeper.
    I found this little gem on the British site...

Unlicensed WoW themepark in China! Haha, looks mega shit!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21029851

Global warming due to CO2 was clearly and obviously made to:

1. Stop Africa developing by telling them its evil to have factories etc and they are destroying the planet.

2. To tax companies all over the world for there "carbon footprint".

Remember in the 70's when there was global cooling theory about? See how that turned out? Lets see how long it takes these guys to say there is something else wrong with the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilobolus View Post
    Though I would worry that a mentality of "Those trees will take care of the CO2 so fuck regulating it!"
    Without regulation there wont be any incentive for companies to spend $20 000 on a tree.

Realisticly, because the tree costs $20 000, the most likely first commercial use we will see is large companies spending money on trees that grow and last for years rather than renewing carbon trading agreements or potenially as replacements for large scale filtration systems that require a lot of upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Global warming due to CO2 was clearly and obviously made to:
    Yes, and CO2's centuries of proven scientific data regarding its thermal properties was just a giant hoax for the ages.