Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Asteroid 2012 DA14 passes very close to Earth Feb. 15th

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsyst...roidflyby.html

NASA claims there is "no chance" of the asteroid hitting Earth but what I question is that there is a "small chance" that it will hit one of our satellites when it passes through the geosynchronous ring. If it were to hit one of our satellites, is it possible that it could change the trajectory of the asteroid? Possibly changing its course to hit Earth? Just something to think about.

I also heard that NASA found another asteroid that plans to hit Earth in 2029? I cant find anything on it though... so maybe it was not credible or maybe i misunderstood. Anyone hear or read anything on this?

Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    If it were to hit one of our satellites, is it possible that it could change the trajectory of the asteroid? Possibly changing its course to hit Earth? Just something to think about.
    No satellite has that kind of mass to cause such a change.

At 150 feet in diameter, it would have to hit the ISS itself to cause any appreciable change in its direction.

With the size of it, there is no chance it will be hit into the earth by satellites. it weights 130,000 tons and honestly there is nothing we have in space that can come close to been massive enough to knock it off course. And lastly less then a single percent of the earths satellites orbit that far out if I am not mistaken, so it even hitting one would require an insane amount of bad luck

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    At 150 feet in diameter, it would have to hit the ISS itself to cause any appreciable change in its direction.
    At 130000 metric tons, it would just plow through the ISS and keep going.

10+ Year Old Account

NASA claims there is "no chance" of the asteroid hitting Earth but what I question is that there is a "small chance" that it will hit one of our satellites when it passes through the geosynchronous ring. If it were to hit one of our satellites, is it possible that it could change the trajectory of the asteroid? Possibly changing its course to hit Earth? Just something to think about.

I also heard that NASA found another asteroid that plans to hit Earth in 2029? I cant find anything on it though... so maybe it was not credible or maybe i misunderstood. Anyone hear or read anything on this?
    No satellite has the mass necessary for that kind of change, and it's passing through an area that has very few satellites.

As for the 2029 one, you're probably thinking of Apophis, which scientists have determined about a month ago has less than a one in a million chance of striking earth.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    ... what I question is that there is a "small chance" that it will hit one of our satellites when it passes through the geosynchronous ring.
    Why do you question this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it would take much for an asteroid to be deflected off its course due to there being no propulsion that provides energy for it to keep moving forward. The amount of mass needed to produce enough energy to make it deflect that far off its original course that it would threaten Earth would still have to be much, much higher than anything we've put up there though.

If we're lucky it will hit all the Fox Satellites.

Imagine a 30 ton truck running into a plywood dog house at 100 mph. That is what would happen if DA14 hits a satellite. I.e. nothing at all except bits of satellite flying everywhere and the asteroid carries on its way like nothing happened.

Deleted
    Buy your end of the world 15th feb doom and gloom wristband here! Brand new!

Perfect timing for all those spurned on valentines day

there are problems with things crashing into each other in orbit, because it just multiplies the amount of debris floating around potentially crashing into more satellites amplifying the problem even more.

mostly it just makes it more hazardous for astronauts, because paint flex travelling at 15000 kmph will cut through you like a bullet.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're all gonna die!!!

*runs around in panic*
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

My 21st birthday brings about the end of the world...

---------- Post added 2013-02-09 at 03:51 PM ----------

I also heard that NASA found another asteroid that plans to hit Earth in 2029?
    Damn sneaky scheming asteroids...

Too bad we are not going to see it. It would have been nice to have some galactic space show up there... Instead, you are going to need a powered telescope just to see a moving dot in the sky; if you are lucky enough to live in the right part of the world where he's actually going to be visible.

Guess what guys, it's time to embrace the horror! Look, we've got front row tickets to the end of the earth!
    You know this quote, right?

Maybe you're talking about the one who will hit the Earth in 2036? Wasn't that confirmed that it will hit the Earth or something?

You know what's worse than asteroids?

Asteroids. Piloted. By aliens.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Lemme demonstrate it for you.

*snip*

Camel=satellite, Train=asteroid.

Mod edit: No need to post a video of camels dying, it has nothing to do with the topic.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2013-02-09 at 09:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Why do you question this?
    Because people in MMO-Champion are apparently more educated than NASA's astrophysicists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.