[TV] Nielsen finally updating its outdated ratings system

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...tion-tv-422795

As network tv is dying, it's easy to argue that the badly outdated ratings system has something to do with it. These changes are possibly too little too late, but at least something is finally happening.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

Deleted
    if this means that shows like SG:U get the proper ratings data, and don't end up being canceled then its about bloody time

Nielsen expects to have in place new hardware and software tools in the nearly 23,000 TV homes it samples
    This is still far too small of a sample. it should be 10, or even 100 times that amount imo.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2013-02-21 at 12:50 PM.

Well thats good, the rating system was crazy old and needed an update. But...now notes about nothing on my seinfeld dvds needs to be updated =P

"if this means that shows like SG:U get the proper ratings data, and don't end up being canceled then its about bloody time"
    ^ and you. If SG:U means Stargate Universe, that show should have been canceled after season1, ep 1! SG1 ftw

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    Well thats good, the rating system was crazy old and needed an update. But...now notes about nothing on my seinfeld dvds needs to be updated =P

"if this means that shows like SG:U get the proper ratings data, and don't end up being canceled then its about bloody time"
    ^ and you. If SG:U means Stargate Universe, that show should have been canceled after season1, ep 1! SG1 ftw
    Indeed SG1 is the "Daddy" of the Stargate Universe, However I (and many others) feel that SGU was cut way too short without a definite ending, Had they took the time to do a special to tie up the storyline a lot of people would have been satisfied with this, however it was left on a cliffhanger with the team in battle.

The only reason it was canceled was down to the fact that SYFY deiced to move the show around from its original Friday night prime time slot, to a Tuesday, then a Monday night, and never really actively advertised it. This of course effected its ratings which where only accounting for the Cable viewers and not the millions of viewers who downloaded it from various locations both legally and illegally (this is another debate). Had these numbers been taken into account and more neilson rating boxes in peoples homes you can be sure that there would have been much more than the 2 million viewers the show had towards the end.

Good news, many fantastic shows have been canceled due to Nielsen being horribly antiquated.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    Indeed SG1 is the "Daddy" of the Stargate Universe, However I (and many others) feel that SGU was cut way too short without a definite ending, Had they took the time to do a special to tie up the storyline a lot of people would have been satisfied with this, however it was left on a cliffhanger with the team in battle.

The only reason it was canceled was down to the fact that SYFY deiced to move the show around from its original Friday night prime time slot, to a Tuesday, then a Monday night, and never really actively advertised it. This of course effected its ratings which where only accounting for the Cable viewers and not the millions of viewers who downloaded it from various locations both legally and illegally (this is another debate). Had these numbers been taken into account and more neilson rating boxes in peoples homes you can be sure that there would have been much more than the 2 million viewers the show had towards the end.
    It was canceled cause it was poop. SG1 was great. SGA retained the adventure feel. SGU was a soap opera in space. StarGalactica. Galactigate. Etc.Plus the art team seemed to take a nose dive. Enemy ships looked very boring, and planet sets werent as detailed.

Honestly I try not to get involved in new TV shows until the second season at least. There is nothing quite like getting into a show and having it randomly canceled on a cliffhanger either mid season or at the end of the season. If they would fix that issue I'd be more willing to try new shows.