Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Why do they still make glass bottles for soda/pop?

or any beverage a kid can drink? Tired of trying to dodge broken glass on sidewalks on my bicycle. I try to stick to roads as much as possible but I have to get on a sidewalk once in a while to avoid really bad roads.

Why do kids deliberately break glass bottles on sidewalks? Just blows my effing mind.

Because glass breaks and people litter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nostalgia? I rarely ever see these.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    maybe its a canadian thing...but i'm sick of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Nostalgia? I rarely ever see these.
    This.... People like to be reminded of the good old days (which weren't really that good).

There are still people out there who prefer glass over plastic / aluminum ... like my mom who says there is a different taste.

Nostalgia, ecology, taste and returnable bottles. Can't think of any more, but I guess thats enough

10+ Year Old Account
    Because cola tastes better from a glass bottle 0o No idea why, but it does :S

the same with can vs bottle, can always tastes better than that in a plastic bottle

Deleted
    Most glass bottles I've seen are in restaurants. Which tend to have a very high chance to be recycled.

Deleted
    Because glass doesn't taint the taste as plastic does. Can't say why people break 'em on the streets though, annoys me endlessly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Because cola tastes better from a glass bottle
    This.

Glass bottles > Tins > Plastic Bottles

I'd wager a hefty sum of money that they use different Coca Cola for each variety.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a taste difference which is the number 1 reason I prefer glass, but it's rare to find it (I'm in BC, Canada).
    It's also much easier to recycle than aluminum/plastic.
    Kids like to break them because 1. they feel like they are doing something they aren't allowed to do and if they get caught there's little consiquence (cleaning it up)
    and 2. They like to see it go smash, can't do that with plastic bottles.

Overseas it's MUCH more common to use glass than plastic or cans. When traveling through Cambodia, there's only glass bottles, and you have to drink the soda at the store so they can have the bottle back to return it. It's much easier to either simply clean the bottles with extreme heat and sanitizers or to melt them down and reuse the materials than it would be with other common containers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Because cola tastes better from a glass bottle 0o No idea why, but it does :S

the same with can vs bottle, can always tastes better than that in a plastic bottle
    I prefer cans to glass bottles in terms of flavor, and most fountains are better than the cans (though there's some variability there, obviously). Plastic is certainly the worst.

15+ Year Old Account
    glass can be 100% recycled, is easy to produce and cheap.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nario64 View Post
    There's a taste difference which is the number 1 reason I prefer glass, but it's rare to find it (I'm in BC, Canada).
    It's also much easier to recycle than aluminum/plastic.
    Kids like to break them because 1. they feel like they are doing something they aren't allowed to do and if they get caught there's little consiquence (cleaning it up)
    and 2. They like to see it go smash, can't do that with plastic bottles.
    Why is it easier to recycle glass than cans?

Overseas it's MUCH more common to use glass than plastic or cans. When traveling through Cambodia, there's only glass bottles, and you have to drink the soda at the store so they can have the bottle back to return it. It's much easier to either simply clean the bottles with extreme heat and sanitizers or to melt them down and reuse the materials than it would be with other common containers.
    I encountered that in Mozambique. I was shocked when I was told (in Swahili, so it took me a bit to figure out what they meant) that I couldn't take the bottle with me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    Most glass bottles I've seen are in restaurants. Which tend to have a very high chance to be recycled.
    That and they look slightly more 'upmarket', 'classy' and 'presentable' than plastic bottles (being the same material that contains wines and other alcohols, old-fashioned ("traditional", "antiquated") etc.).

Deleted
    Rofl nostalgia, guys this not someone talking about TBC you don't have to use that shitty argument. But anyway it tastes better from glass although coke from can is almost as good. Coke from plastic is only good if it's super cold and you are very thirsty.

Glass bottles and cans are also better at keeping the drink cold after taking it out of the refrigerator, at least compared to plastic.
    Kids breaking them is just the usual juvenile behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Why is it easier to recycle glass than cans?
    Because when you melt down glass, it gets rid of 99.9% of the impurities right away. With metal you have to put like metals together, melt them down and add some chemicals to help get rid of said impurities.

10+ Year Old Account
    I definitely agree that soda from a glass bottle tastes better than in a can. Just my 2 cents