Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West View Post
    I think this is just mean and hurts people.

Such companies should be banned.
    Can't tell if serious...or...?
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Answer me this, why would you want to buy something when You can get it for free? What logic is there in paying for an item that you get for free. Not the crappy version but the same exact quality.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 12:17 AM ----------

Have you ever thought of why people would even buy something they could get for free? Do you not think such people exist? Do you think such people are fairy tales? Why pay even a dollar if you can get the same thing for free? Answer me this.
    Why buy that [x] when I can just take it illegally? I'll just take that free car from the dealership as I always wanted it but couldn't afford it. I'm hungry so I'll just take this free food from the shop without paying the price they're asking for it. Oh right, calling it "free" doesn't make it legal when it isn't actually free.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    Why buy that [x] when I can just take it illegally? I'll just take that free car from the dealership as I always wanted it but couldn't afford it. I'm hungry so I'll just take this free food from the shop without paying the price they're asking for it. Oh right, calling it "free" doesn't make it legal when it isn't actually free.
    You could pay the Iron Price! (if you don't get this, it's a reference to books and a play on your name)((I couldn't resist))
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty funny, I approve of this sort of thing. A couple other games do similar things.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Hrmm....I'll bite.

Have you ever thought why people would pay for something legally instead of illegally acquiring it? Why do you pay for groceries? You can have those for free too. The exact same groceries, five finger discount, all yours.
    This is a fail analogy. First off stealing enough groceries to feed you regularly would be difficult to pull off, in addition you would need to do it on a regular basis. A video game you "steal" once and you have it forever. Let's say though that you could manage to steal all the groceries that you need and that these will reproduce themselves so you never need to go steal more. Would you then go back and pay for them after you've eaten some and decided that you liked it? Even though you already have them and would never actually need to? Even if you might there are plenty of people out there who wouldn't.

And just to be clear I'm not supporting Piracy here but rather trying to explain why it's bad. I think artemishunter1 was doing the same, if he wasn't he makes a very good point on why it is.
    Last edited by Dasffion; 2013-05-02 at 02:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Even if you might there are plenty of people out there who wouldn't.
    There are plenty of people who will kill people for no reason, even if you wouldn't. Was there a point in anything you just wrote? I'd elaborate, but I'd rather not provide even more things for you to intentionally take out of context.
    BAD WOLF

I think this was a cool statement against piracy.

Two things, though:

1) Those comments are most likely all planted.
    2) Eight dollars seems quite expensive for essentially a Facebook game :P
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

There are plenty of people who will kill people for no reason, even if you wouldn't. Was there a point in anything you just wrote? I'd elaborate, but I'd rather not provide even more things for you to intentionally take out of context.
    I think I misunderstood what you were writing just like I think you misunderstood what artemishunter1 was writing. I think we're all arguing the same point here but comparing it to shoplifting groceries is still a bad analogy. Shoplifting an actual video game is a better one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edx View Post
    Is it really inconceivable to you that people are more likely to try something if it's free
    Try =/= Piracy
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not piracy if I torrent a game to check it out before I buy it (if I like it)?
    Hurray, I'm no longer a hardened criminal.
    Not sure if your intentionally misinterpreting the logic or you really can't comprehend. You are the one who used the term 'try' as a replacement for stealing a game. I'm telling you that trying something and stealing something are different terms.

In your original statement and this one, the word(s) you are looking for is stealing/theft/piracy. Here's your V8 for the day.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    file sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by Aerai View Post
    Go ahead and blame the executives all you want, they're just doing their job. You're creating the environment for them to make the decisions to never take risks. Quick history lesson, these same huge publishers everyone loathes were some of the biggest innovators of the 90's.. the companies haven't changed. The market has. We're the market.
    That's not true. Piracy was all over the place in the 80s and 90s as well. When you launch software, broadly speaking, there are people that will pay no matter what, people that will pirate no matter what, people that will pirate if it is easy enough, but otherwise would have purchased, and people that will pirate if it is easy enough, but otherwise would not have purchased. That third category is not, and never has been, that wide. The fourth category is much much larger than most people want to talk about.

Piracy is not materially injuring the video game industry. Shitty games can do that, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarz View Post
    stop selling games for 60$ duh stupid gaming companies and no one would even pirate a crappy facebook tycoon game lol so mission failed game dev tycoon...

movies take way more money to make than games do,yet they only cost like 10$ brand new for dvd...game industry is a joke
    most games these days cost way more then the average movie. you do not know what you are talking about at all.

Not sure if your intentionally misinterpreting the logic or you really can't comprehend. You are the one who used the term 'try' as a replacement for stealing a game. I'm telling you that trying something and stealing something are different terms.

In your original statement and this one, the word(s) you are looking for is stealing/theft/piracy. Here's your V8 for the day.
    Ok let me ask you this.

What is the difference in someone who lends a friend a game and someone who downloads a game from the interenet.

In order to do ether someone has to buy the game at some point and in each case the 2nd party could play and beat the game without ever buying it themselfs so if piracy is breaking the law so is just lending your game out to a friend because both is the same.

there is no other way to look at it because that is what it comes down to someone getting the game from someone else weather it be in person or over the internet.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-05-02 at 02:49 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    That third category is not, and never has been, that wide. The fourth category is much much larger than most people want to talk about.

Piracy is not materially injuring the video game industry. Shitty games can do that, though.
    While your point about the different types of people is definitely true, I'm not sure that it isn't materially injuring the game industry. Sure they lose some sales directly from it, but you have to think of the widespread effects of the behavior. Someone who pirates a game has the knowledge and lack of conscience to commit the act. If it just stopped there, it might be ok.

However a more likely scenario for the aforemention pirate is these:
    -Posts negative feedback in public outlets, contributing to overall negative feedback (whether founded or not)
    -Advertises piracy whether publicly or privately
    -Enables more piracy by either distributing to others or instructing others

The cumulative effects of these things are what surely matireally injures companies.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    most games these days cost way more then the average movie. you do not know what you are talking about at all.
    If you was a game company would your rather sell 7 million of a 60$ game or 24million of a 30$ game....

Cheaper the cost the more people who may/can buy it.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-05-02 at 02:51 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    That third category is not, and never has been, that wide. The fourth category is much much larger than most people want to talk about.

While your point about the different types of people is definitely true, I'm not sure that it isn't materially injuring the game industry. Sure they lose some sales directly from it, but you have to think of the widespread effects of the behavior. Someone who pirates a game has the knowledge and lack of conscience to commit the act. If it just stopped there, it might be ok.

However a more likely scenario for the aforemention pirate is these:
    -Posts negative feedback in public outlets, contributing to overall negative feedback (whether founded or not)
    -Advertises piracy whether publicly or privately
    -Enables more piracy by either distributing to others or instructing others

The cumulative effects of these things are what surely matireally injures companies.

You can try out a piece of software by pirating it, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    Ok you really just don't understand or have a differeing moral system where stealing is magically not stealing. If you take the game without paying for it, it is stealing/piracy. It doesn't matter what your intentions are, you commited the act. So you can't just substitute the word 'try' because it may be your intention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ok let me ask you this.

What is the difference in someone who lends a friend a game and someone who downloads a game from the interenet.
    To the company it's no different. You used their product without paying for it. It's why we have all the legal mumbo jumbo about sharing, distributing, reselling, etc with many products.

It's why radios have to pay licensing fees, movie theaters have to pay to show the movies, etc. It's a system established by laws and concrete principles for whatever countries we all live in. I don't have to argue morality or ethics to prove that I'm right. The law governs our countries and makes the rules whether we like it or not.

So yes, it's all the same.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    If you was a game company would your rather sell 7 million of a 60$ game or 24million of a 30$ game....

Cheaper the cost the more people who may/can buy it.
    Just gonna mention a thing here, 24 million sales is a extremely unrealistic sales number even if it only costs 30 dollars, anything above 10 any developer should be extremely grateful for when it comes to retail gaming.

To the company it's no different. You used their product without paying for it. It's why we have all the legal mumbo jumbo about sharing, distributing, reselling, etc with many products.

It's why radios have to pay licensing fees, movie theaters have to pay to show the movies, etc. It's a system established by laws and concrete principles for whatever countries we all live in. I don't have to argue morality or ethics to prove that I'm right. The law governs our countries and makes the rules whether we like it or not.

So yes, it's all the same.
    There ya go. So when will a law get passed where you will be locked of or fined just for lending a friend a game cause like I said in the end its the samething.

To prove a point I "got" MW3 from the internet and beat it take a wild guess how many times I payed for it on console..........once on ps3 and 2 times on xbox 360.

Because even tho I beat it on the PC I wanted the Achievements and to play online on the ps3/xbox 360.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 03:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    Just gonna mention a thing here, 24 million sales is a extremely unrealistic sales number even if it only costs 30 dollars, anything above 10 any developer should be extremely grateful for when it comes to retail gaming.
    true so lets use some real numbers.

The new Tomb Raider sold at 3.5mil copy's 60$ a copy in the US and other nations at different price's now do you think that number would have 2x/3x if it was 30$ a copy I would think so and that means more people would be buying the DLC and therefor is more profit.

So if at 30$ a copy it 2x in sells it would have made the same amount as the 60$ and more people would have gotten the game. If it x3 as much that is more profit then what SquareEnix would have made at 60$ a copy.

That is not counting the amount extra they would make on the DLC even if only 3.5mil got the game at 30$ each.

Game company's want to hurt the used game sells there is only one really simple way to do it that is fair to the gamer.....sell your game cheaper.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-05-02 at 03:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There ya go. So when will a law get passed where you will be locked of or fined just for lending a friend a game cause like I said in the end its the samething.
    We already have laws that accomplish that, but it's unrealistic to enforce them. While it technically already covers any situation, even the one you described, it's generally a net to prevent rampant abuse like holding public movie screenings, charge for tickets, from a blu ray.

I'm not sure if you think I'm trying to take a stance on this specific part of the issue, because I'm not. Just stating how it is.
    BAD WOLF