Poll: Is the man a hero or a criminal/terrorist?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Italian man 'goes to war' against Italian government & EU bureaucrats

This Italian man's life had been destroyed by the poor Italian economy and EU debt crisis. Having lost his job, his home and his livelihood, he turned his frustration to the Italian government, which had been led by an unelected EU bureaucrat since 2011. On the same day a new prime minister was set to be sworn in, he made his move to assassinate the corrupt politicians and bureaucrats he believed to be responsible for the destruction of his country. Many in Italy are hailing this man as a hero, what do you think?

Video:

Article: http://news.sky.com/story/1083999/it...at-politicians
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2013-05-04 at 09:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He resorts to murder? No, nobody is a hero who resorts to murder. I'd in fact call him a "villain."
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

It does throw light on an issue that I think has been swept under the rug too much. The development in recent years has been very damaging for democracy in the west, not just with desperate people looking towards extremism, but also unelected politicians being installed to "fix" the situation. The same thing has happened in Detroit IIRC. As zany as Nigel Farage is he has solid points on what's going on with the EU.

As much as Italians want to blame the EU for their woes, most of it is domestic misshandling of economic affairs.

Italy unlike Spain or Irland or Greece actually has several international high tech industires.

But the country has been missmanaged into the abyss for decades by a series of populist governaments mostly lead by Berlusconi and his gang. Widespread corruption, systematic misshandling of public funds and out of control spending on pensions and public works (run by organized crime) is what ruined Italy. Not the EU.

And no. Shooting people is not the solution to shit. How exactly the killing of elected officials solve anything. One other thing. The reason why Italy was run by an appointed technocrat (who was appointed by the Italian parliment, not the EU) was that the governament collapsed under complete loss of international credibility and corruption charges. Literally the entire governament was rotten to it's core, and Italy was the laughing stock of the world, forcing the Italian legistlatures hand to approve the appointment of Mario Monti by the President of the Italian Republic Giorgio Napolitano.

(p.s. Arctic Daishi and another EU bashing thread...please for the love of God, provide context and tell the whole story)
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2013-05-04 at 09:05 PM.

Why blame the EU? It's really Italy's own government's fault they're doing crap

Oh yea, murder is the solution all right. Would you be calling someone a hero as well if they murdered Nigel Farage and people hailed the assassin as a hero?

Let me guess: Murder only makes you a hero if the murderer kills people you disagree with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    This Italian man's life had been destroyed by the European Union and debt crisis.

-snip
    This is as far as I've gotten sorry.
    The first sentence is not a fact it's just made up. How can you start a discussion like that? First you state the facts then you give your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    He resorts to murder? No, nobody is a hero who resorts to murder. I'd in fact call him a "villain."
    I think an antihero is a more proper term. Not a true hero for sure though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Oh, really? Well, let me quote Yogg'saron: A thousand deaths. Or one murder.

Which is better?

Italy did a fine job fucking themselves over. and yes I guess we need to measure heroes by their willingness to kill people they don't like.

---------- Post added 2013-05-04 at 02:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Oh, really? Well, let me quote Yogg'saron: A thousand deaths Or one murder.

Which is better?
    you mean a thousand unemployed people, didn't know that equated to death.

Also I call bullshit!

I just looked for any reference of him blaming the EU for his problems. Couldn't find a single article or reference to that.

Prove your claim please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Oh yea, murder is the solution all right. Would you be calling someone a hero as well if they murdered Nigel Farage and people hailed the assassin as a hero?

Let me guess: Murder only makes you a hero if the murderer kills people you disagree with.
    Being from a nearby country i know this politicans are corupt and bribed by Belusconi mafija. So yeah....italian ppl can call him a hero.

Here is some old news:
    Berlusconi: Mafia blackmail me, 40 million were only help a friend

Rome - Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi on Wednesday denied a court order compelling the Mafia. He said that a friend Marcello Dell'Ultriju gave millions of dollars simply because it "wanted to help a friend who needed the money", Italian media reported today.

Berlusconi in court as a witness in a case of extortion by the mafia politicians. Dell'Ultriju to be paid in the last decade over 40 million, reports AFP.
    21 million for the villa, worth 9.5 million

The former premier is suspected that he gave money Dell'Ultriju that this ceased to interpret the details of Berlusconi's alleged connections to organized criminal groups.

"Dell'Ultri a friend, we know each other for many years and has drawn my first football team. Important also contributed to the establishment of my company Pubitalia," he said Berlusconi in court, adding that he was grateful for this.

The hearing is otherwise mostly revolved around the sale of villas on Lake Como by Berlusconi last year to 21 million purchase of Dell'Ultrija, although its value is estimated at 9.5 million.
    I'm not paying the mafia for protection!

Berlusconi denies paying friend via the Mafia for protection. Dell'Ultri but denies that Berlusconi blackmail.

Businessman from Palermo in 2004 was sentenced to nine years in prison for Mafia connections, and in 2010 he was fine reduced to seven years, in March this year, the Italian Supreme Court set aside the conviction and require a retrial.

In other words gunman wanted too kill this new primier so belusconi would not rise too power again.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, really? Well, let me quote Yogg'saron: A thousand deaths. Or one murder.

Which is better?
    Haha awesome.
    Let me respond with a quote from WC3s Dryad: "Ah, the great outdoors."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    you mean a thousand unemployed people, didn't know that equated to death.
    Way to take things out of context!

But sure, let's have it your way: ruining the lives of a thousand people is only but slightly better.
    Last edited by vep; 2013-05-04 at 09:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by torterra275 View Post
    I think an antihero is a more proper term. Not a true hero for sure though.
    No. He did not do the right thing no matter how you look at it. He planned to kill several people who in his mind were personally responsible for what happened to him.

Italy has been mismanaged for decades now. Living in a country that borders on Italy and even has an Italian speaking part it was very clear to see what would happen down there and if anyone is to blame it's certainly not Monti.

I'm appalled by the thought that people actually voted "Hero" in this thread. That man planned on killing several people. He didn't even manage to do that, instead wounding two innocent policemen standing guard and when he saw that his plan had failed he tried to kill himself. That man didn't do that out of any thought for the people around him. He was just an angry guy who sought someone to blame for his current situation. Maybe his life was ruined as a direct consequence of the politics in Italy maybe not. It doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Zao; 2013-05-04 at 09:25 PM.

ruining the lives of a thousand people is only but slightly better.
    They have jail cells for that. and off the cuff vigilante justice more often then not fucks the wrong people over the intended target. like two cops that were doing their job.

I detest people that blame others for their failings in first world nations. If you've failed in life, it's because of poor planning, not the evil government.

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically, Arctic Daishi your heroes are criminals, bigots and racists. You also like to create extremely biased threads, polls, and you always accuse others of being ignorant.

OT: He is clearly criminal, I pity him for losing his job and house but he is still a criminal there are better ways of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    So basically, Arctic Daishi your heroes are criminals, bigots and racists. You also like to create extremely biased threads, polls, and you always accuse others of being ignorant.

OT: He is clearly criminal, I pity him for losing his job and house but he is still a criminal there are better ways of doing things.
    I don't really view him as a hero. Daniel Hannan and Nigel Farage aren't racist/bigoted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really view him as a hero. Daniel Hannan and Nigel Farage aren't racist/bigoted.
    From your poll

• View Poll Results: Is the man a hero or a criminal/terrorist?Voters27.
      He's a hero.
      7 25.93%
      Arctic Daishi, Descense, Grinderofl, Krolikn, Sam the Wiser, torterra275, Vasconcellos
      He's a criminal.
      20 74.07%
      Activi-T, BurningStick, Chiquihuite, Didactic, Garnier Fructis, kashal, Mihalik, N-7, ovm33, Radux, Riidii, Rommon64, Rukentuts, Sky High Shark, smelltheglove, Spectral, Ticj, Vladar, Vomlix, Zao
      He's both.
      0 0%
    Last edited by N-7; 2013-05-04 at 10:23 PM. Reason: formatting