10+ Year Old Account

Can we add Troll-Baiting to the list of No-No's?

I present this thread as a prime example.

While it's possible the TC really is insane as several people have suggested, the fact that so many people decided to give him their attention is pretty sad when you see their posts.

I also remember one instance I saw a few months back where a new user tried to stir up trouble on General WoW and was swiftly permabanned. Before they were banned (I think it was Sunshine or Chaud who put them in their place, can't remember now) they mentioned something to the effect they have other accounts and will simply make more for each one banned.

Outside RPing and/or Mods who want some privacy, there's no real need for anyone to have more than one account. Methinks a general reminder to everyone weather they have multiple accounts or not should posted to let everyone know if one account does something banworthy ALL of their accounts will be banned regardless of how long they've had it.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    Outside RPing and/or Mods who want some privacy, there's no real need for anyone to have more than one account.
    Having more than one account is not (and as far as I know, never has been) allowed, and mods are strictly expected to abide by that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    Having more than one account is not (and as far as I know, never has been) allowed, and mods are strictly expected to abide by that rule.
    There's nothing about having multiple accounts in the FAQ or the rules except for this:
    Posting on another account or having someone else post in your behalf when your account has been suspended or banned is not allowed. As a result, a new suspension or ban will be issued.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't prohibit multiple accounts. What we do prohibit is using a second account to avoid infractions with your main account or using it to get around having been banned. Global mods, like myself, are always watching and will take action.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, what you're framing as "troll-baiting" is just regular-grade trolling. The term originates from fishing terminology; it's taken on other aspects over time, but originally it meant throwing out "bait" in the form of a ridiculous statement, and "trolling" for a bite. We (as society) have more generally expanded on that to include people generally acting badly, but that kind of "bait" post is absolutely trolling.

The difficulty lies in Poe's Law. It's not always easy to tell the difference between a legitimate, if grossly misinformed and silly, opinion, and something someone's just posting to get a reaction. That's why we have a mod staff, though, and why we ask users to report problem posts for us to take a look at; making those kinds of calls is what we do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how the thread you linked is an example of troll baiting - am I missing something?

I don't really agree with trolling baiting term. For example, people say things on here snide comments back and forth. I know for example in the Gun Control.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3060/publicv.jpg

That is a remark to me recently. Since as Endus said troll baiting is making a ridiculous statement, or grossly misinformed, something just to get a reaction. I'd think this one post falls under it perfectly. Designed to provoke an emotional response. However it appears that is ignored. Yet I was infracted for this.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1402/examplegp.jpg

I called some people out saying and I quote "living in total ignorance" ignorance is defined as "not knowing any better" yet I appealed it and it was turned down. So I had this on me for months, while other people get the free pass to flame me daily. Yes, I know theres an option to message sunshine about problems but she appears to just stopped responding to my requests.

In closing. I don't agree with whole troll baiting being an intractable offense because its open to interpretation if someone is posting something directly to upset another poster and I'm pretty sure that thing happens daily here with half the people not in trouble. Just my two cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    In closing. I don't agree with whole troll baiting being an intractable offense because its open to interpretation if someone is posting something directly to upset another poster and I'm pretty sure that thing happens daily here with half the people not in trouble. Just my two cents.
    Just to clarify; it's not "trolling" if you post something that upsets somebody. If you say "Bieber is the worst musician ever", and some Belieber takes it badly, that's not trolling. It's "trolling" if you're posting something ridiculously over the top to provoke a wide reaction, like if you posted "none of you WoWers could ever understand the glory that is Hello Kitty Island Adventures; the endgame is so much more hardcore and amazingsauce."

That doesn't mean needling someone over and over is okay, either, but targeted attacks are often classed under "flaming" instead, depending on how they're laid out, or they're about a banned topic for precisely this reason (making fun of someone's political beliefs/religion/sexuality/etc).

The point I was trying to make is there may well be threads posted where you think "my god that's a stupid question." That doesn't mean they're "trolling" and should be infracted. Maybe it just means you shouldn't read and post in that thread. If you think they're just trying to cause trouble, by all means report it, but people being clueless or misguided isn't necessarily trolling.

And honestly, I'd rather someone who's clueless about something ask questions and try to be not-clueless any more, than if they just went on being clueless.

So basically what you're calling for op is a ban on any thread which could have opposing opinions. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Just to clarify; it's not "trolling" if you post something that upsets somebody. If you say "Bieber is the worst musician ever", and some Belieber takes it badly, that's not trolling. It's "trolling" if you're posting something ridiculously over the top to provoke a wide reaction, like if you posted "none of you WoWers could ever understand the glory that is Hello Kitty Island Adventures; the endgame is so much more hardcore and amazingsauce."

That doesn't mean needling someone over and over is okay, either, but targeted attacks are often classed under "flaming" instead, depending on how they're laid out, or they're about a banned topic for precisely this reason (making fun of someone's political beliefs/religion/sexuality/etc).

The point I was trying to make is there may well be threads posted where you think "my god that's a stupid question." That doesn't mean they're "trolling" and should be infracted. Maybe it just means you shouldn't read and post in that thread. If you think they're just trying to cause trouble, by all means report it, but people being clueless or misguided isn't necessarily trolling.

And honestly, I'd rather someone who's clueless about something ask questions and try to be not-clueless any more, than if they just went on being clueless.
    Wouldn't that poster fall under "making fun of someones political beliefs" by claiming saying not all your leaders can be idiotic as you are. Just curious. In the past, I've also got infractions for forbidden topics.

We can have a topic on here discussing these reaching hundred pages. On why a guy hade his roomate sleep with him and lower her rent. But thats not a forbidden topic.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-compensation

Clearly, my thread fallen under "forbidden topic"

But we can't have a discussion on why an all women congress would be effective. I'm just curious, why aren't they both forbidden. What exactly makes my topic so offense, just curious. This was filed under the "forbidden topics"

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...6#post19722166

Actions taken (whether it be towards a thread or a user) is done on a case by case basis.

If at any time anyone feels a post/thread is against the rules, please use the report function so it can be brought to the attention of the moderators of that forum (as well as Globals and Administrators).

If at any point action is taken against yourself, or a thread that you've created, you're free to send a PM to a moderator of that forum (as well as Globals and Administrators), or use the Contact Us function.

Further inquiries on the subject can be directed to Sunshine, or the Contact Us function.

Thank you.