Having trouble with Megaera 10 Normal

To give a bit of background, my guild first downed Tortos back in late April, and we've been making attempts against Megaera ever since. For whatever reason, we simply cannot get this boss down.

Raid comp is typically as follows:

Tanks
    -------
    -Prot Warrior
    -Blood DK (this is subject to change, as he may no longer be able to raid with us due to work)

Healers
    --------
    -Holy Priest
    -Discipline Priest
    -Holy Paladin

DPS
    -----
    -Destruction Warlock
    -Enhance Shaman
    -Elemental Shaman
    -Assassination Rogue
    -Arms Warrior/Frost Death Knight (changes based on attendance)

Our head kill order has been B > R > G > R > G > B > R, with almost all of our wipes occurring on the fifth or sixth head. Our DPS largely seems to be fine, with most everyone pulling 80k or more (obviously hampered a bit by having to run for Cinders or Torrents of Ice). Cinders and Acid Rain are causing the majority of the problems for us, though, and we've tried rotating healers, assigning cleanses, and changing head kill order to see if it could potentially secure a kill -- nothing has worked.

Any tips?

Trying to provide us with some logs of your attempts would be the most helpful, honestly.

Really, the only thing we can do with this information is to reiterate the general strategy for the fight, which I expect you know.
    Personally, I have no experience with the Torrents of Ice, since my guild only ever kills the Green and Red heads.

It looks to me like one of your problems may be how melee heavy you are, which means you are getting a higher proportion of green bombs and Cinders in melee, which can be much harder to avoid or mitigate because of their position. That is probably adding extra strain on your healers.

Without logs, there's no way to tell you if any of your raiders are doing something wrong, taking an unusual amount of damage from something, not using their survivability cooldowns, not using raid cooldowns, et cetera.

Next time you raid, run World of Logs and then have us look at it, we'll be able to be much more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Trying to provide us with some logs of your attempts would be the most helpful, honestly.

Really, the only thing we can do with this information is to reiterate the general strategy for the fight, which I expect you know.
    Personally, I have no experience with the Torrents of Ice, since my guild only ever kills the Green and Red heads.

It looks to me like one of your problems may be how melee heavy you are, which means you are getting a higher proportion of green bombs and Cinders in melee, which can be much harder to avoid or mitigate because of their position. That is probably adding extra strain on your healers.

Without logs, there's no way to tell you if any of your raiders are doing something wrong, taking an unusual amount of damage from something, not using their survivability cooldowns, not using raid cooldowns, et cetera.

Next time you raid, run World of Logs and then have us look at it, we'll be able to be much more helpful.
    Yeah, was fully planning on it. We've never run with World of Logs before, but we'll likely start doing so now if it means getting this boss down and actually progressing.

We typically deal with Torrents of Ice because the damage is 100% avoidable if you kite it right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres no reason to take the blue head first. any of the others will do just as good. It looks like your healers seems to be missing something out. They should look at their class's talent/tips from their stickies.

Have you tried different combinations?

Quote Originally Posted by Cairm View Post
    Theres no reason to take the blue head first. any of the others will do just as good. It looks like your healers seems to be missing something out. They should look at their class's talent/tips from their stickies.
    I've noticed that pretty much no one else uses the kill order we've been trying, and that almost everyone else uses G > R or R > G. What's the reasoning behind this? Wouldn't it just continue to increase Cinders and Acid Rain damage?

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Have you tried different combinations?
    Raid combinations or head combinations? I'll note that another problem we've sort of been having has been consistency -- a lot of our healers keep getting swapped around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock View Post
    I've noticed that pretty much no one else uses the kill order we've been trying, and that almost everyone else uses G > R or R > G. What's the reasoning behind this? Wouldn't it just continue to increase Cinders and Acid Rain damage?

Raid combinations or head combinations? I'll note that another problem we've sort of been having has been consistency -- a lot of our healers keep getting swapped around.
    We've always done G -> R -> G -> R etc

the blue head's Torrent of Ice will chase a player for 8 seconds, as a non warlock/hunter DPS, I'd be pretty upset if I have to run around for 8 seconds spamming SW:P instead of just dodging the green circle or putting the fire out of the raid. Less movement is generally better for most specs.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    5 easy steps for maximum win:
    - use two camps. camp A is located between Red and Blue, Camp B is located between Blue and Green. Start at Camp B and alternate them.
    - Use GRGRBRB ~ Only very few blue beams, minimum of poison bombs. You need to instadispell the red debuff thou.
    - Bloodlust at the FIFTH rampage. Note, that that is NOT the last rampage. BL at rampage 5 will ensure, that the sixth head (being red) will be dead or almost dead right after the rampage. Which will hinder the blue head to shoot his beams (no beams/debuffs/poisonbombs during rampage)
    - If you happen to have a warlock here´s the plan: let them place a portal between the Camps and as far away as possible. When you start beating the last head (which could be blue cause everyone can reach it easily) the beams will start to shoot (remember: during head 6 no beams cause bloodlust rampage 5). Kite the beam straight out of the camp to the portal in the back (not the one between the camps!), use portal, start dps/healing. The beam won´t veer reach you.
    - Some minor shenanigans: 1) Let the better geared tank start to tank blue right at the beginning. It will rotate so that he has the blue head when you kill it at first (fifth head). due to the haste buff a head receives when not killed, this head will deal a lot of melee damage. 2) your healers need a clear rotation for each rampage. first three rampages do not need cooldowns longer than 1 minute. 3) Don´t stack up as melees. never stack up with the tank. After head 5 you need to instadispell the debuff, don´t place it in the most retarded position possible.

Use three healers.

Good luck.

Stolen from myself from one of the other threads.

Deleted
    Hard to tell without logs. But both your Priests should spec Disc for this fight, Spirit Shell for every Rampage and rotate Barrier with Paladin CD's on top of that and Rampage won't be an issue.

You're really melee heavy, that's not really ideal here due to the movement.

Having read several threads about people having issues with Normal Megaera, I believe the general issue here is:

1. Lack of damage and healing.

2. Poorly handling of mechanics like Cinders, not moving out of Acid Rain and not kiting beam properly.

3. Lack of co-ordination during Rampage - what healing CD's to use when.

Head combinations.

We just killed the boss a few weeks ago but during progress we tried different combinations to reduce the damage from green and red. However when adding blue it got kind of worse because when a dps got the beam our dps got so low that we reached a point where our tanks took a 4e breath and when a healer got the beam the other 2 healers suddenly had to heal harder to make up for the 3e healer, plus by taking a 4e breath the damage on the tanks got increased so again tanks required more healing.

MY observation was that adding a blue head doesn't really lower the raid damage, it just shifts the damage from the green and red to the blue but at the same time it reduces uptime and adds unnecessary complexity to the fight.

Finally the key to this fight is raid cooldowns, surviving the rampage is easy however the issue comes after rampage when players start getting cinders and when they have to avoid the green aeo attack. The key to this fight is to time your cooldowns better, for example when using tranquillity (random example) don't use it right away but use it more towards the end because tranquillity leaves a strong hot on players that will help them survive the raid damage. Your goal should be to have some lingering effects after rampage and players should use cooldowns to survive the high raid damage when fighting the 7th head furthermore you need to leave a rampage with so close to 100% health as possible.

When we changed the way we handled raid cooldowns we killed the boss on our first try of the evening

Wanted to thank all of you for the advice. We made some changes as many of you have mentioned, and downed Megaera after two attempts.

Wanted to thank all of you for the advice. We made some changes as many of you have mentioned, and downed Megaera after two attempts.
    Wonderful, grats!

First of all, i dont see why u use a holy priest, tell him to go disc. SS and barrier are great talents for this fight, also the extra dps he provides makes all fights a bit easier.
    Our RL had as go G>R>G>R etc. we killed her but after 5th head i had so many mana probs (resto druid).
    Last week he was missing so i was called to lead, i found the chance and used a different tactic which it seems to me very easy, and mana efficient.
    B>R>B>R>B>G>B. minimum raid dmg. Properly use your raid cd's at rampage. Hero at 5th rampage as said above.
    You comment your dps is ok, 80k+.
    In my opinion your dps is ok only if you kill the heads before 3rd debuff application. If that occurs had the tanks swich heads after 2nd debuff and ofc right after the breath.
    Die by the sword

Deleted
    Surviving the last few heads is mostly about instantly dispelling Cinders and minimizing Acid Rain damage with personal cooldowns. Extremely stressful for healers, yet as far as I understand holy priest should have pretty amazing smart heals and hots which should make it considerably easier. Might want to use any available hybrid healing or save some healing CDs for that, if rampages aren't a problem. Healthstones also work wonders if used at proper times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    We've always done G -> R -> G -> R etc

the blue head's Torrent of Ice will chase a player for 8 seconds, as a non warlock/hunter DPS, I'd be pretty upset if I have to run around for 8 seconds spamming SW:P instead of just dodging the green circle or putting the fire out of the raid. Less movement is generally better for most specs.
    This is the angle I tried to go for with my guild, I'm not the raid leader but the raid is generally open to all for suggestions. We have however only managed to kill Meg with the B > R > B > R > G > B > R combo. I too thought (and do still think) that less movement = better, and especially as a SP like yourself would have liked to have been able to sit still and not kite that ice around, but we found that towards the end, the green head was causing us problems with the AoE damage, so taking the ice / cinders combo was a lot easier on our healers, and we downed it first try on that combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Setheria View Post
    Don't get me wrong, Mind Sear is as useful as tits on a bull, but let's not get carried away here.

We were stuck there for a while and tried many different combinations...

in the end the best for us was g>r>b>r>g>r>g
    because you always kill red when its up so you don't tank it twice, and you get 1 less green winch reduces a lot of movement.
    We tried 2 blue but it was always very hard since it had a huge moment increase...