Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Sick of guild finding.

Hello,

I'm getting very tired of trying to find a raiding guild. I know this comes across as arrogant, but I can sometimes perform better than players in heroic gear, and yet I'm the one that only has 4/12 experience. At a glance, you'd think 4/12 because I'm not capable, but it's not that, it's because my old guild disbanded. No one wants a melee dps...especially not a warrior. I took a small break and came back when ToT was already underway, that, and the fact my old guild disbanded, I'm stuck. There are no spaces in guilds and my exp sets me back even more. It's impossible to catch up and yet I know I'm more then capable of doing the content. I'm not even badly geared, 512 with a 530 wep, and still nothing. This thread hasn't really got a point, but I just had to get it off my chest. Maybe someone has thoughts.

Just apply to some guilds slightly above your current progress, talk to people in the guilds, make a good impression. There are guilds who want melee, everyone is in a different position, and you'll eventually find one.

As for your 'arrogance' - there will always be someone better than the rest. For example, find the best guild in the world, there will be people in their core raid team that some of them think are absolutely dogshit, and think they can do better. You have to climb the ladder, some people don't mind that they are probably 'carring' others, some people hate it.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-05-29 at 01:57 PM.

2 options as far as I can see it

Option 1 / join a guild to up your experience to the level or as close as possible., even though you might very well be at a different skill level to them. This is pretty much scumbaggy imo as you will be using them to gear up and show experience on kills.

Option 2 / find a good guild who have experience and progress well above yours currently. Show them logs from the past where you kicked arse and are worthy of a spot- after all the player is farrrr better than the gear in any decent guild.

I took option 2 when I was in greens after changing to main. I linked my top10/20 ranks on various specs in the past and said I would simply do it again if they had a lil patience with me gearing up. I was accepted and lo and behold 2 months later I top dmg and have ranks 2-5 on WoL for class

It happens but you will have to be patient and show what you are doing for option 2 for it to succeed. If you don't then you probably wont have it work.

Well not that this does solve anything for you, but right now in Raids you are better of with a caster cleave than with melees.
    Additionally there are way more DPS warriors than needed, even when melee is an option, so there will always be some benched warriors.

There are just too many 13 to 16 year old dudes (no offense) that think beeing an allmighty warrior with big weapons is the pinnacle of WoW.
    As i dont see that mindset change anytime soon you might as well consider to reroll to something that is not overrepresented.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most players who eventually wish to reach HC guilds start small. Get some better progress, join another guild once you feel you have enough, etc.

But it is tough for melee right now, but you could join a guild which is just starting raiding and is looking for DPS. Or some guild's secondary raid team. Sure, you possible will do better then day, but if you wish to raid, that is one of your choices. Eventually even the "bad" guilds get decent progress.

Second option would be for yourself to start a guild or try to find a PUG on your server.

Last but not least, try to find a guild who rotates raiders, it is not an ideal situation, but it could work for you. I raid lead a 10-man raiding guild and at most times we have 3-melee DPS to choose from, 7-8 ranged DPS and 4 healers. We rotate people, giving all a chance to log their raiding hours. Again, this is not aperfect solution, but you could check into guild like that.

Or, roll another class which is ranged/healer for next patch and start fresh.

Deleted
    I've been doing all of this stuff. I even managed to get invited to the 10'th best guild on my server, but I'm yet again put as reserve. I only got in because of a freind and it's not a swap in and out type of reserve, it's a 'you'll get a spot if no one shows' kind. Chances of raiding are slim, and so it's hard for me to prove myself or gain the exp and it's even harder to try and get a spot in such a solid guild.

I just want a decent guild that progresses steadily. Even like...6/12 would do me. I was in those sorts of guild with good people, but they always disband. Now I'm in a top 10 with people that I can tell are pretty much assholes because they have a heroic tag under some of their items.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-05-29 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Just apply to some guilds slightly above your current progress, talk to people in the guilds, make a good impression. There are guilds who want melee, everyone is in a different position, and you'll eventually find one.
    This. Leaving a good impression is a MASSIVE advantage and probably the thing that will pull guilds to recruit you over that guy who has more experience than you. If they ask you to write an application: put time in to it. Fill out every detail while making it easy to read. Do not be afraid to give extra information such as raiding experience in previous expansions (if you have any) and highlight positive aspects (example: Say you've been in a few guilds, but only ever went to a different one because the last one disbanded. Making a note of such details shows them that you're dedicated and not easy to leave once they reach a bump in progression).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop View Post
    This. Leaving a good impression is a MASSIVE advantage and probably the thing that will pull guilds to recruit you over that guy who has more experience than you. If they ask you to write an application: put time in to it. Fill out every detail while making it easy to read. Do not be afraid to give extra information such as raiding experience in previous expansions (if you have any) and highlight positive aspects (example: Say you've been in a few guilds, but only ever went to a different one because the last one disbanded. Making a note of such details shows them that you're dedicated and not easy to leave once they reach a bump in progression).
    I'd say I leave very good impressions. I always make an effort to sound polite and all that stuff. I've applied to a lot of guilds, most of which don't need a melee, and so I have to write an app anyway and see if they'll even consider it. The apps aren't really the problem.

Deleted
    Assuming that you are good enough, and competent enough to write a great application+include great logs, you won't have an issue finding a guild that's progressing in heroics regardless of your class/spec. That you haven't even bothered pugging tot just means that you're slacking and obviously gives a bad impression. I've been/am in several guilds progressing in heroics and we'd jump on a promising applicant, regardless of class/spec.

I was actually having a similar problem, but from...the other side of the issue. A few friends and I decided to come back to the game at the tail end of Cata after taking a year long break. Most of the people I knew on my server had transfered or quit and the game saw some pretty significant changes that we had to get used to. All of us were previous "hardcore" raiders who raided together from Vanilla through WoTLK, but we had no experience in Cata and as a level 1 guild had nothing to really offer new members. We usually spent an hour pugging 2-3 people for DS and managed to finally pug our way to a DS clear before MoP came out.

We tried recruiting but when people saw that our guild wasn't very "active" due to a lack of members, most of them left before MoP even came out. Fortunately, a few people we used to play with came back when MoP launched and we finally managed to set up a 10 man team. We saw some good success in t14 and we're currently 3/13 HC in ToT right now. Basically, it's not always a bad thing to find a guild that's trying to set up a new raid team or a bit behind in progress than what you may be used to. As long as the RL, GM, and other key members of the team are dedicated to making the raid team a success, you'll have a lot of fun and see some success.

I also know that the Convert to Raid podcast has a HUGE guild over at Aerie Peak - US that has dozens of raid teams. I would do a quick search and see if that's something you're interested in. I'm sure you could find a raid team over there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    I'd say I leave very good impressions. I always make an effort to sound polite and all that stuff. I've applied to a lot of guilds, most of which don't need a melee, and so I have to write an app anyway and see if they'll even consider it. The apps aren't really the problem.
    Just going to preface this and say I'm not saying your apps are the problem, but just a bit of insight from my personal experience.

In normal circumstances, I would have gotten a straight no from the guild I'm currently in as I was too young, behind them in progress and gear, and they didn't need melee either. What made them change their mind? Well, to my knowledge, a good application, a friend in the guild and a good impression from even before I wanted to raid with them.

I was 19 at the time and their age limit was strictly 21+. My friend vouched for me saying I was mature enough. I had a social spot previously (used it as a bank char for my friend - I was on a different server primarily) so they had already seen me helping the guildies out occasionally as I'm always up to date on pretty much everything I can be, and when I applied to the guild they asked for logs and such - I went the extra mile and provided videos, screenshots etc, not only saying what I can do, but proving it.

The effort you put in (and I'm not saying you aren't already btw) will be rewarded.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-05-29 at 02:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    - 2nd Spec Tank, I would personally never fill a meleespot with a class that can tank or heal without them having the 2nd spec in that spec (exception being rogue, they don't have a heal or tankspec - yet)
    - Get more experience, even in t14. Not having killed Shek'zeer NHC would leave you once again at a disadvantage. Try joining a random MV/HoF HC raid for even more experience in a HC environment (where you want to end up).
    - Nothing in your achievments / FoS indicates, that you have achieved something skillful. Try doing Challenge modes (only gold counts, having bronze as your best shows how bad you are becuase in the end, a solid group EASILY finishes silver - I'd heavily suggest improving that bronze to silver)

I don't want to offend you with my statements, they are just dry facts about how most raidleaders would look at you, without logs (and how I as raidlead of my guild look at your armory). And even with logs, most raidleaders can't tell the different between being a bad player and having shitty gear, which you can point out by showing how you play and why.

- get more gear
    - get more visible experience in hc content (t14) or challenge modes
    - be more versatile (tankspec as 2nd)

and in every application, try to explain how you are using your class beyond doing dps: how important it is to you that you use all your utility (HP-shout, Stuns, Disarms, Slows, Interrupts, ...) and how you change glyphs/talents for every encounter (think about examples to actually show how and why you change talents/glyphs).
    you want to impress the raidleader, you don't want a testraid out of pity.
    What doesn't kill me gives me Vengeance.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...psody/advanced

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Assuming that you are good enough, and competent enough to write a great application+include great logs, you won't have an issue finding a guild that's progressing in heroics regardless of your class/spec. That you haven't even bothered pugging tot just means that you're slacking and obviously gives a bad impression. I've been/am in several guilds progressing in heroics and we'd jump on a promising applicant, regardless of class/spec.
    I pugged ToT last night. Why are you assuming things? o.o

I've been doing all of this stuff. I even managed to get invited to the 10'th best guild on my server, but I'm yet again put as reserve. I only got in because of a freind and it's not a swap in and out type of reserve, it's a 'you'll get a spot if no one shows' kind. Chances of raiding are slim, and so it's hard for me to prove myself or gain the exp and it's even harder to try and get a spot in such a solid guild.

I just want a decent guild that progresses steadily. Even like...6/12 would do me. I was in those sorts of guild with good people, but they always disband. Now I'm in a top 10 with people that I can tell are pretty much assholes because they have a heroic tag under some of their items.
    im at the point where the people are more important than the progression. as long as we are getting raids and moving, ill be happy. Id love to see us get back to heroics after Cata, but we had a lot of burn out after the 8/8h push in DS (particularly spine) and how long that damn raid lasted. were behind this expansion as we have had a few set backs (2 babies and an off tank quitting when tot landed), so were just getting started in TOT, and are working on horridon. I dont have any plans of leaving though because this guild has been my home for almost 7 years now, and wow is just a small part of it. We have groups playing all sorts of other games, and if i ever grow tired of wow i will still have friends to play other games with (the other portals included, we currently have probably around 400 members, so our little wow group is a small portion of it). I also meet up with a lot of these guys a couple times a year, some of them still play wow, others don't. So thats whats important to me at this point. We will make our way through, tot and the next raid, we may not every get to touch heroics this expansion, but the people im playing with is much more important.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the 12 weeky ToT is out, you managed to kill Jinrokh 4 times, which isn't pugging - it's the new Archavon's Vault.
    Horridon twice and Council once, so in 12 possible IDs you were looking for a rnd raid twice, and without much success. Either you're slacking or your server is seriously dead.

EDIT: 12 possible IDs
    What doesn't kill me gives me Vengeance.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...psody/advanced

Deleted
    Yes it's really hard. As long as Blizzard doesn't allow inter-server raiding for current raid and/or consolidate small servers into bigger ones the situation will not improve.
    Deciding to make it harder for late would-be raiders to try to catch up in this environment was really a bad idea.

I hope you'll get Lucky.

Deleted
    In the 12 weeky ToT is out, you managed to kill Jinrokh 4 times, which isn't pugging - it's the new Archavon's Vault.
    Horridon twice and Council once, so in 12 possible IDs you were looking for a rnd raid twice, and without much success. Either you're slacking or your server is seriously dead.

EDIT: 12 possible IDs
    This pmuch. If you put in the effort it's quite easy to pug 12/12 on most servers, and not downing anything past council or even getting jin'rokh down each week, is just you not giving a fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to progress, most guilds will ask for logs of your performance. Believe me, guilds like good warriors who have great throughput. Run some logs of you in LFR, at least, and go apply. Logs tell a great deal of what you can do and how you do it.

"I am Rei Shen, prease!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    This is always the conundrum that I run into. I don't have time to raid regularly, but I can do the occasional PUG. However, every PUG group wants an achievement link. I'm 513, which should be plenty for the first few bosses in ToT, yet can never get a group due to not having done any of of the bosses outside of LFR.

Looking at your server on Wowprogress, there are multiple guilds alliance side who'd be worth a look - it's not all about jumping to a well progressed guild - most of the time you have to join a guild which aren't so progressed where you can get in with lower level gear because you outperform a bunch of people, and then look to move on once you have some quality logs.

In your position, I'd be looking for guilds who are 5/12 up to 12/12 normal and trying to make an impression.