Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cant Bioware do anything right?

I mean really, they cater to anybody with an extra penny in their pocket. I was here since beta and was expecting some limited time items to actually be limited time items for veteran players. But of course, bioware has to go and screw everything up.

Examples:

White crystal: Wont be available after this patch so buy it now for millions of credits!!!
    - Sure, I buy it, will be a unique color, next thing you know, white crystals are now on the cartel market for real world money!!!

Gold scalene armor set: Buy it now from the cartel market before its gone!
    - Ok so maybe I have to pay money to have something unique/collectible. Nope back on the cartel market for the same price.

Cyan crystal: Same story as white crystal

If they bring back the korrealis mounts that will probably be the end of it for me. Why not just offer the founder title for 500 cartel coins while your at it?
    Screw your loyal customers, you get more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Swagform View Post
    I mean really, they cater to anybody with an extra penny in their pocket. I was here since beta and was expecting some limited time items to actually be limited time items for veteran players. But of course, bioware has to go and screw everything up.

Examples:

White crystal: Wont be available after this patch so buy it now for millions of credits!!!
    - Sure, I buy it, will be a unique color, next thing you know, white crystals are now on the cartel market for real world money!!!

Gold scalene armor set: Buy it now from the cartel market before its gone!
    - Ok so maybe I have to pay money to have something unique/collectible. Nope back on the cartel market for the same price.

Cyan crystal: Same story as white crystal

If they bring back the korrealis mounts that will probably be the end of it for me. Why not just offer the founder title for 500 cartel coins while your at it?
    Screw your loyal customers, you get more money.
    Was the white crystal ever available due to legal actions ingame? The only white crystal prior to the implementation of the Cartel Market was one single hacked one as far as I remember.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    Was the white crystal ever available due to legal actions ingame? The only white crystal prior to the implementation of the Cartel Market was one single hacked one as far as I remember.
    They actually sold them for a while, like Swag said for millions. It was for a limited time and then they stopped but said they might be back some day if I recall.

Deleted
    Not gonna lie. I never understood this "I don't want someone else to have something I do" mentality, since that's what it boils down to. I don't care if other people get Gold Scalene armor or not, if they like it good for them! I like my Gold pants and that's all I cared about regarding this particular armor.

On the topic of the White Crystals... when they removed the way you got them in game originally they did say that they would come back at some point but they weren't going to say how.

They brought all those things back because they were constantly requested by those "loyal customers".

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's fine, just don't say limited time if its not limited time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagform View Post
    Yeah it's fine, just don't say limited time if its not limited time.
    Resteraunts do this with menu items. They have limited time meals that sometimes do become a part of the regular menu due to popularity. I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about that though.

As a related sidenote...why does everything a video game company says have to be set in stone forever? I know I change my mind on lots of things daily. New information makes prior decisions wrong sometimes. I get it when its something like Aliens: Colonial Marines where the demo they showed was completely different than the actual game, but this seems like something very minor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I pay for a sub. I know it is just a game. Not sure why people take it so seriously. None of us are snowflakes. If they want to sell it for creds, cash, CC... that is their concern since it is their game. I'm just here to play and enjoy myself after the trainwreck that is World of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I pay for a sub. I know it is just a game. Not sure why people take it so seriously. None of us are snowflakes. If they want to sell it for creds, cash, CC... that is their concern since it is their game. I'm just here to play and enjoy myself after the trainwreck that is World of Warcraft.
    Been saying this since this game launched.

If people don't like the game, play something else. If you don't like some parts, but DO like other parts, then decide if there's enough there that you like to continue playing. If there's not, then fine... play something else.

Like... if I love Chili's food, and hate Ruby Tuesday's... I just go eat at Chili's. I don't stand outside Ruby Tuesday and complain that it isn't Chili's.
    Leadsop - Beast Mastery Hunter
    <Godz of War> Sargeras - US

Leadsoprano - Gunnery Trooper
    Leadmello - Kinetic Combat Jedi Shadow
    <Severity Gaming> Prophecy of the Five - US

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    Like... if I love Chili's food, and hate Ruby Tuesday's... I just go eat at Chili's. I don't stand outside Ruby Tuesday and complain that it isn't Chili's.
    I'm tempted to add this as my sig. Always love a little sarcasm with my wisdom.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I will gladly criticize their wrong doings at a moment's notice, this is pretty typical marketing for ANY product ever. Limited time only is legal speak for this will be available whenever we feel like it over the next forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    Eh, the logic isn't the same though...for several reasons.

1) This is like if you enjoy Chili's, go there regularly, but then they completely change their menu, treat you like a piece of flith on their shoe, and then tell you to give them your money or get lost. All the while having people like you (honestly no offense) tell them things like this, which equates to if you don't like it get out of my presence and go to another restaurant.

2) When #1 happens, just silently sulking away doesn't prompt change, recompense, or any possibility of reclaiming what it was about Chili's you loved in the first place. They'll just assume they did the right thing and won't hesitate to do it again and again and again.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like Arlee stated, Bioware did say that White Crystals would be back at some point but they didn't have an estimate. NOW, if they brought back the Korrealis Commander- I will be livid because I like having it and people asking me where I got it from lol.

When they announced the Gold Scalene being removed they DID say that it could come back.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...18#edit5966518

EA, bioware is just leaving their baby in the hands of its cracked out father.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruss View Post
    Not gonna lie. I never understood this "I don't want someone else to have something I do" mentality, since that's what it boils down to. I don't care if other people get Gold Scalene armor or not, if they like it good for them! I like my Gold pants and that's all I cared about regarding this particular armor.
    Yep! never understood this either. Weird sense of entitlement people have sometimes.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davispunx View Post
    Yep! never understood this either. Weird sense of entitlement people have sometimes.
    To be perfectly fair to these people, MMOs are designed to promote that sort of desire. They are exclusionary by nature, but specifically like to create things for the purposes of distinguishing your character from other characters. There's nothing wrong with that base feeling, especially when the games go above and beyond what is needed to foster that mentality.

So naturally having a game's design dictate that differentiation via accomplishments, items, titles, you name it is going to grate against the people playing it when it turns around and goes against that programmed behavior by on the one hand, saying here is this special thing that will not be available later...then turns around and makes it available later.

People only bought into the system with the assumption that it would distinguish them. That's not entitlement. That's a large part of why people continue to do anything in MMOs. I'm not saying in this instance I feel it is 'right', but that's just my opinion. Entitlement is expecting distinction without doing anything to earn it. Wanting hand outs, free rides, etc. Wanting to be distinguished for nothing other than wanting to be distinguished. These are people who want distinction because they were sold distinction.

Totally different.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    EA, bioware is just leaving their baby in the hands of its cracked out father.
    Typical anti-EA/doesn't actually play the game troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    To be perfectly fair to these people, MMOs are designed to promote that sort of desire. They are exclusionary by nature, but specifically like to create things for the purposes of distinguishing your character from other characters. There's nothing wrong with that base feeling, especially when the games go above and beyond what is needed to foster that mentality.

So naturally having a game's design dictate that differentiation via accomplishments, items, titles, you name it is going to grate against the people playing it when it turns around and goes against that programmed behavior by on the one hand, saying here is this special thing that will not be available later...then turns around and makes it available later.

People only bought into the system with the assumption that it would distinguish them. That's not entitlement. That's a large part of why people continue to do anything in MMOs. I'm not saying in this instance I feel it is 'right', but that's just my opinion. Entitlement is expecting distinction without doing anything to earn it. Wanting hand outs, free rides, etc. Wanting to be distinguished for nothing other than wanting to be distinguished. These are people who want distinction because they were sold distinction.

Totally different.
    I can understand the entitlement when the achievement/gear earned is from something that is worthy. Like I remember getting a mount from a Trial of Crusader Heroic No Wipe Run. If blizzard had just added that mount to a vendor I would feel a little cheated that my achievement is trivialized. But Were talking about items from cartel packs here! No item in SWTOR is really worth getting bent out of shape over because nothing is really hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Eh, the logic isn't the same though...for several reasons.

1) This is like if you enjoy Chili's, go there regularly, but then they completely change their menu, treat you like a piece of flith on their shoe, and then tell you to give them your money or get lost. All the while having people like you (honestly no offense) tell them things like this, which equates to if you don't like it get out of my presence and go to another restaurant.

2) When #1 happens, just silently sulking away doesn't prompt change, recompense, or any possibility of reclaiming what it was about Chili's you loved in the first place. They'll just assume they did the right thing and won't hesitate to do it again and again and again.
    Bioware didn't change the "menu", they only added to it, giving players more options on how they want to play. Maybe the options aren't ideal for some people, but you cannot please everyone, ever.

What you get for a subscription fee hasn't changed, if anything it's increased.* But you now have the option of going Preferred and permanently unlocking access to things want, or sticking with the Free to Play option. Like I said, the options may not be ideal for some people, but what you're actually getting for a subscription has not actually been lessened when you look at it technically.

Some people actually benefit in the long run by switching to Preferred status and just buying the "extras" that they want, and not having to pay a subscription fee. Others still prefer to just have a subscription.

So ideally, it would be more like Chili's added a lunch special, you can get the same food, but in less amounts, for a little bit less money, but only at certain times during the day.

*Technically speaking: when the game launched a $15 a month sub got you 30 days of playing time, full access to all content, with no restrictions, of course this was the only way to play. The game was full of bugs, that made it completely unplayable to some people, because people have opinions and this is fine.

With the addition of Free to Play, what you get for $15 a month did not change, you still get 30 days of playing time, and full access to game content. Now you also have the Cartel Market that contains vanity and fluff items, that if you deem worthy of their cost, you can purchase for whatever desire you wish. Since that addition, subscribers get Cartel Coins each month, which you did not get before the launch of Free to Play.

To add to this, because I'm sure it will come up, all of the new hair styles, Cathar, etc etc, were not in the game before Free to Play, so your subscription did not cover that, and you technically didn't lose anything.

Not making any comments about the expansion, because whether Free to Play or not, Bioware probably would've still charged for it. Plus, it is an expansion, WoW charges $60 for their expansions and no one complains, well, they complain, just not about that.