Page 1 of 3
LastLast

When I get that feeling I want sexual healing (disc priest)

Catchy title?

Been playing priest since forever, shadowing and holying for the most part, only just 4 months ago I switched to disc... no complaining about that. Thing is I've always been shadow as main spec, I pretty much never healed in raids, just normal/heroic 5 men. But I've been asked to heal in normal ToT 10 men tonight, and the way I do my healing is by using mouseover macros for the most part.

I'm using Vuhdo for my raidframe, set it up to show pretty much all the buffs and debuffs. My ui looks like this (old image, but same ui):

My problem is that I'm having difficulty moving my feet while watching the raidframe, while healing and while attonement healing (dpsing...). Is there another way, a better way, a better addon (?) to be super efficient keeping my raid alive? Currently my mouseover macro, for penance, cast Penance on what I mouse over > the target (I select the ads/boss to dps) > my focus (usually a tank, if I don't mouseover anything and nothing is selected) > myself. If I was to look only at my feet and the raidframe, my cursor would be pretty much over someone else all the time, so the only way to cast Penance offensively would be hard since I would have to move my cursor over what I select... you understand all that?

So, how can I be better at this? Healing 5 men is very very easy, but I'm starting tonight on Megaera, and I feel I could use another way to heal maybe. Anyone can tell me how they are better healing than me? Any tricks are very welcomed, thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well one option is to set up a macro to simply cast Smite at a specific target. For example:

/cast [@Tortos] Smite

You can keep healing as you do, and keep your tank focused as needed... And just hit you smite keybind without changing targets or moving the mouse.

This is of course very rigid, and you have to know the target you'll be attacking... But for progression raiding, where you're fighting the same boss over and over again, it could be a viable option.

Smite isn't the problem, my macro for smite is: smite was is targeted > smite what my focus is targetting (if nothing is selected). So while I mouseover anyone, I cast the macro, boom Smite on something!

The problem is for Penance! Shouldn't I use it offensively, or just defensively? Of couse if I only use penance to heal directly my target, then there's no biggie...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiGG View Post
    Smite isn't the problem, my macro for smite is: smite was is targeted > smite what my focus is targetting (if nothing is selected). So while I mouseover anyone, I cast the macro, boom Smite on something!

The problem is for Penance! Shouldn't I use it offensively, or just defensively? Of couse if I only use penance to heal directly my target, then there's no biggie...
    Use two Penance macros? Or just have the boss always targeted and use a macro like /cast [@target, harm][@mouseover, exists] Penance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bad ideas abound.

Best bet is to use Clique. This replaces mouse over macros but more importantly frees up action bar space.

Let me give you an example:

4 is my Clique binding (mouse over macro) for prayer of healing. However, this is nowhere to be found in my bars, rather set up in the spell book. So when I hover my mouse over a player and press 4, I cast PoH on that group.

4 is also my action bar key bind for Smite. So when I'm not mousing over a friendly target and press 4, it casts smite.

To your issue, my penance is Shift + Right Mouse under clique but Ctrl + 4 on my action bar. This allows me to choose which type I penance I want to use without clouding up my action bar. For those wondering, the key bonds are so very different because when I originally bound Penance it was only useful defensively. Since my offensive spell rotation usually involves my Razer Naga's 1 and 4 keys with shift/Ctrl/alt modifiers, it was natural to make Smite 4, Holy Fire Shift + 4, and Penance Ctrl + 4.

TLDR: get clique and all your problems solve themselves.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, my mistake. Well, I would do something like what Ariadne has suggested. Use that for your offensive penance keybind (example: T), and then make a separate macro for defensive penance casting and keybind it (example: ctrl + T). I would probably do this:

/cast [@mouseover, harm][@target, harm][@focustarget, harm] Penance (Bind to T)
    /cast [@focus, exists][@player] Penance (Bind to ctrl + T)

When T is pressed, it will cast penance on a hostile mouseover target > a hostile target > your focus's target
    When ctrl + T is pressed, it will cast penance on your focus (if it exists) otherwise it will cast penance on you.

Alternatively, split /cast [@focus, exists][@player] Penance (Bind to ctrl + T) into two separate macros:

/cast [@focus, exists] Penance (Bind to ctrl + T)
    /cast [@player] Penance (Bind to shift + T)

---------- Post added 2013-05-30 at 06:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    TLDR: get clique and all your problems solve themselves.
    You don't need Clique to do this. As long as you can keybind, you will be just fine. I use the addon Bindpad myself because I ran out of macro slots, and it lets you create a near infinite amount of macros.

I tried using:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover, help] [modifier, harm] [@focus, help] [@player] Penance

...(used to be /cast [@mouseover, help] [harm] [@focus, help] [@player] Penance)
    So I could press any modifier to use Penance offensively, but strangely it doesn't work with shift! I don't understand... works with Alt though. But I would use a modifier if it was Shift lol! Guess I'll have to try Bindpad or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need Clique to do this. As long as you can keybind, you will be just fine. I use the addon Bindpad myself because I ran out of macro slots, and it lets you create a near infinite amount of macros.
    Except you missed the ENTIRE point of clique: that you can free up action bar space while using the same key binds for two different purposes. Not to mention its infinitely easier than writing out or even copy/pasting all those macros.
    Last edited by ramennoodleking; 2013-05-30 at 08:35 PM.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

You don't even need clique; Vuhdo has that functionality built in, and that is in fact one of the advantages of Vuhdo. Here is how I heal:

1) Boss is targeted at all times, unless there are enemy adds I'd rather attack. Under no circumstance do I ever target a raid member, as there is never any reason to do so.
    2) Vuhdo has the ability to bind all your spells to mouseclicks. When I want to heal someone, I use the appropriate mouse click on their raid frame on Vuhdo.
    Example: When I healed on my paladin in Cataclysm, I had holy shock bound to #2 on my action bar. I also had it bound to shift+right click on Vuhdo. If I wanted to cast it offensively, since I already had the boss targeted I just hit 2. If I want to heal someone with it, I just shift+right click their frame. (This was particularly important for paladins in Cataclysm since we had to judge regularly, and that necessitated targeting the enemy).
    3) Set up click bindings for all your heals, use your action bars for utility spells, cooldowns, and offensive spells (including penance).

Mouseover macros are, in my opinion, clunky and inelegant compared to Clique or the identical functionality built in to Vuhdo. They do the same thing, but mouseover macros require both your mouse cursor to be in position AND action bar space, while using Clique style healing frees up all of your action bars for other abilities.

Edit: Open vuhdo, and go to the spells tab at the bottom. It will have a pane of modifier keys, and a pane of mouse keys. In the mouse keys pane there are fields for you to type in heals. If you select "none" in the modifiers pane and type "penance" into the left click field, then left clicking a raid frame will cast penance on that target. If you selected "shift" in the modifiers pane and did the same thing, holding shift and left clicking a raid frame would cast penance instead. You can use any combination of modifiers (or none), and it supports many mouse buttons (though I don't use more than 4 myself).

Edit 2 @Ramen: I prefer Vuhdo myself, but either way it's the style we're advocating; I only commented so much on Vuhdo because he's already using it for his raid frames, so he wouldn't need to change or install anything... grid/clique works just as well
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2013-05-30 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, if you use vuhdo there's always that built in; I am just personally a fan of Grid. But either way there's no arguing in the utility of Clique/Vuhdo.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Except you missed the ENTIRE point of clique: that you can free up action bar space while using the same key binds for two different purposes. Not to mention its infinitely easier than writing out or even copy/pasting all those macros.
    But... Why does actionbar space matter? You gave an example of having smite and poh on the same key. Why would you want to see one of those spells on your actionbars and not the other? And why would you want to use the same key for those two spells, forcing extra mouse movement to be able to use smite?

10+ Year Old Account
    Extra mouse movement? Hahaha. You're right, it's terribly difficult to move the mouse an inch. It matters even less, to the point of being trivial, when you move the mouse while you are casting anyway. Besides, you don't use your mouse to turn? Are you a keyboard turner? Big fan of the s-key?

And it's not about "seeing" it on the bar. It's about minimizing the number of seperate keys you have to use. It's about efficiency; if you can't see that then...well I guess my point is lost on you. Allows you to map, say, 30 spells using only 15 binds. You can get that down to keypad numbers 1-4 with shift/Ctrl/alt modifiers. Without something like Clique those same 30 spells would have to be bound to keypad numbers 1-8.

It's math.
    Last edited by ramennoodleking; 2013-05-30 at 11:22 PM.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    With vuhdo remember you can also use mouse scroll up and down. Sure saves alot of RSI.

Deleted
    Extra mouse movement? Hahaha. You're right, it's terribly difficult to move the mouse an inch. It matters even less, to the point of being trivial, when you move the mouse while you are casting anyway. Besides, you don't use your mouse to turn? Are you a keyboard turner? Big fan of the s-key?

And it's not about "seeing" it on the bar. It's about minimizing the number of seperate keys you have to use. It's about efficiency; if you can't see that then...well I guess my point is lost on you. Allows you to map, say, 30 spells using only 15 binds. You can get that down to keypad numbers 1-4 with shift/Ctrl/alt modifiers. Without something like Clique those same 30 spells would have to be bound to keypad numbers 1-8.

It's math.
    You don't really need extra action bar slot for anything but spells though. And your Smite example, what if you want to PoH but not mouseover someone? Clique doesn't offer anything besides freeing up action bar and macro slots. It does however limit you if you use if the way you showed in your example. A macro similar to the one I linked solves OP's issue with just one bind.

/cast [@mouseover, exists][@target, exists][@player] Penance

Not mouseovering something? Press the same bind and it will do your Penance on the target. Don't have a target? It will Penance yourself. The only issue is that you can't mouseover something and cast it on a target.
    Last edited by mmoc9f3c8526e6; 2013-05-31 at 12:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Explain to me a single moment you would actually want to cause PoH without mouseing over someone? I mean there's virtually no reason your mouse needs to be that far away from your raid frames anyway.

Plus your idea only works for spells like penance with dual purpose. You'd be shit out of luck for most other spells.

So again...mouse over macros < clique/equivalent addon.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    Explain to me a single moment you would actually want to cause PoH without mouseing over someone? I mean there's virtually no reason your mouse needs to be that far away from your raid frames anyway.

Plus your idea only works for spells like penance with dual purpose. You'd be shit out of luck for most other spells.

So again...mouse over macros < clique/equivalent addon.
    When you want to cast it on yourself. You know those moments when you have your mouse button held down and can't see cursor and want to cast a heal on yourself? Same goes for basically any healing spell. So I don't see what Clique offers that you can't achieve with normal macros, except for action bar space of course. But I don't value that at all. Mine are hidden anyway and I set them up once and never look at them again until new patch/expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    So did you skip the part where you also cut the number if keys you need to allocate to spells in half?

And casting it on yourself? At what moment do you need to simultaneously hold down your cursor and cast a spell on yourself outside of PvP? Cause there are few moments in PvE where that split second it would take you to cast a spell and move, and most of those can be remedied by better play.

Different strokes for different folks, but I don't think the value can be understated of having vastly more flexibility with your spell bindings. Sorry but you won't convince me otherwise. It's like choosing to use an axe alone when you also have access to a chain saw.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

There's nothing hard or inefficient about having 30 seperates keybinds rather than only 15. You aren't restricted to number keys you know.
    Q, E, R, F with modifiers are all easily accessible. F1-F4 are also very easy to hit on my keyboard. Then there's 1 or 2 thumb buttons on a lot of mouses that you can combine with modifiers.

Arguing that moving your mouse cursor so you can cast a different spell with the same key is more efficient thanway just having a different key is quite funny though.

Deleted
    So did you skip the part where you also cut the number if keys you need to allocate to spells in half?

And casting it on yourself? At what moment do you need to simultaneously hold down your cursor and cast a spell on yourself outside of PvP? Cause there are few moments in PvE where that split second it would take you to cast a spell and move, and most of those can be remedied by better play.

Different strokes for different folks, but I don't think the value can be understated of having vastly more flexibility with your spell bindings. Sorry but you won't convince me otherwise. It's like choosing to use an axe alone when you also have access to a chain saw.
    How did I skip that part? I just told you the downside of cutting down the number of keys as in your example with Smite and PoH on hotkey 4.

At what moments? When I look around with the camera and still want to cast spells. Or when I am turning character/running by pressing both mouse buttons down and want to cast PWS, PoM, Renew, Penance and then when I stop I want to instantly cast a PoH while at same time turn my camera. It really doesn't matter, there are plenty of situations.

Just because you grown accustomed to not doing it by having Clique doesn't mean that there aren't any situations.

As I said, there are no benefits with Clique except for freeing up space. Clique limits people who want to turn camera while casting. Being a good PvPer surely does impact how you control your character, in a positive way. Clique limits former top PvPers who want to do PvE.

Here is an example, tell me how many times you see my cursor and tell me you can do the same with your Clique method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UPESZzwt78
    Last edited by mmoc9f3c8526e6; 2013-05-31 at 01:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's funny is thinking using 30 seperate key binds is as efficient as doing the same thing with 15. And since you are using your mouse to move anyway, you are already constantly pulling it away from your raid frames...and yet that is not inefficient?

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15