Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It goes like this-if you're a TV exec, focused on making as much money as possible, which do you choose-keep spending $6 mil an episode on this, or make a reality show for a fifth of that, and get as good or better ratings? This is pretty much the same reason ANY show gets cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons.

Generally speaking, TV execs aren't in it for the art or the quality, they're in it for the money. The show may be brilliant, or it may be garbage, but if it's not making enough money, it's gone...and if it IS making good money, they'll try very hard to keep it going as long as they can.

I actually thought outside of the great visual effects it was pretty poor. And that for 6 mil an episode, I hope for future shows they focus less on the visuals and get a decent story in at least.

Only sci fi show these days doing decent is Falling skies, and to be honest first season was dreadful, how that didn't get cancelled is still beyond me. S2 was great though and S3 started of nicely as well.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

10+ Year Old Account
    the story was horrible and i didn't have any connection to any of the main characters after 4 episodes i gave up.
    Hi

The two basic reasons are because of dropping ratings and high cost of the episodes. Ratings went 9.35 million to 7.24 million at the end which for a series with high hopes is not good. It's interesting Terra Nova is getting better ratings then Revolution yet Revolution is getting a second season because of lower costs and NBC is so fucked right now with their shows not that FOX is in much better shape.

I doubt due to it's costs you will see someone like Netflix come along and revive it either.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderNerò87 View Post
    I watched it when it came out. I liked it! Sad that its gone
    I did the same thing, I DVR'd it and watched it when it was recent, and it was great. Sad its gone, was lookign forward to S2

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    cause the show was horrible? good pilot every eps after was bad.

Personally I thought it sucked, but seems like a lot of people liked it in which it was probably a case of not ENOUGH people liking it to justify the high cost.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderNerò87 View Post
    Watch Stargate SG-1! Its on Netflix. Damn I got hooked on that show earlier this year. I had heard about it years ago and planned to watch it for a long time, but always thought it looked to shitty and boring. Then one night in January I decided to watch a few episodes. And that was that lol.. Hooked like hell
    Oh my god I did this in Sept, SG - 1 through to Atlantis, researched what order to watch them in etc, for example sometimes 2 sg 1 1 Atlantis, 1 sg 1 3 Atlantis, was pretty good, well worth the hassle

Moved on to SG universe, its good, really good, but you need to stick around and have patience, Season 1 is very slow but the character depth is brilliant

Needless to say, Stargate addiction was probably one of the reasons I had to resit exams

i just cant believe how stuff like falling skies get to a 3rd season and other shows are cancelled. I like most of the sci-fi shows, but falling skies is just annoying.
    Maybe other shows are to expensive and falling skies is not - the effects(especially the "walker" look like shit at least, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't that good a show is why.

Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    i just cant believe how stuff like falling skies get to a 3rd season and other shows are cancelled. I like most of the sci-fi shows, but falling skies is just annoying.
    That show is so illogical it’s amazing (and don't throw the good aliens "when fighting aliens, human logic must be abandoned" stupidity at me). There are 999 different things the aliens (from their perspective and with the knowledge they would posses within the show) could have done and should have done at this point that would end the conflict with them being victorious.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2013-06-10 at 06:24 PM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    Maybe other shows are to expensive and falling skies is not - the effects(especially the "walker" look like shit at least, lol.
    Falling Skies should have never had a Season 1 let alone a Season 3.

I really disliked Tera Nova too.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

15+ Year Old Account
    It is good with the characters in it, however I would say it doesn't fit the story it is meant to be telling. They are going to a jurassic era with dinosaurs, but you hardly see any of them except on a select few episodes, I can recall three which actually was about the dinosaurs and the rest was maybe one or two scenes which had them in. Everything else was just about drama the people caused. It felt like "let's go to the jurassic park but not show any of the dinosaurs".

Deleted
    It was boring, no offense fans! I liked Caprica and Sarah Connor Chronicles a lot better but they also got cancelled.

It was so cheesy I just gave up after 3 episodes. It just wasn't very good...
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Deleted
    It was way to expensive to produce, and not enough people was watching it.
    Problem was the target audience. It was aimed for familes, but the demographs showed it was most popular in the 20-30 region, and that was not enough.

Imho it should have been less cute, less child stories and more about survival.. Think that would been a hit..
    "Hey, I am a stuid teenager. I know there is plenty of dangerous animals out there that want nothing more than kill me, but I go outside anyway because I am a lead character..."

As others have said; It cost too much, you didn't believe anyone you were meant to care for was going to die until the last two episodes, trying too hard to make it family friendly, nobody watching the show when it was actually on TV. Based on the last two episodes alone though, I was hoping to see where they were planning to go with a second season.

High production costs and mediocre fan base (while aired anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I actually didn't think it was that great.
    Because it wasn't. It was, at best, trite and mediocre and chock-full of bad writing. Nevermind that they threw themselves into (what they believed was) their past, which is all sorts of idiotic as in all likelihood, it would wipe out the future the moment someone stepped through.

Sure they got around that by hinting that this was somewhere else entirely near the end of the first season, but from the get-go, the entire premise hinged on it being their past. So the whole plan was colossally stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Because it wasn't. It was, at best, trite and mediocre and chock-full of bad writing. Nevermind that they threw themselves into (what they believed was) their past, which is all sorts of idiotic as in all likelihood, it would wipe out the future the moment someone stepped through.

Sure they got around that by hinting that this was somewhere else entirely near the end of the first season, but from the get-go, the entire premise hinged on it being their past. So the whole plan was colossally stupid.
    I don't recall them ever saying it was "their" past. They stated at the beginning that it was a past that was similar to theirs in a different time frame, but not their past. I'd have to rewatch the first couple episodes, but I'm pretty sure that's how it went.

i was hoping for a much more action packed, dinosaur filled, hour of entertainment, but what i got was dissapointment.

there was a couple of good episodes, but i just couldn't connect with the characters or storyline of the show, i ended up just watching it for the dinosaurs and will always remember the episode where the only dinosaur you saw, was a tiny little bastard for about 10 secs of screentime.
    <insert witty signature here>