Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Other] Critics who's opinion you give a damn about?

What critics do you "like" or "trust in"? It can be film critics, book critics, music critics, TV critics, game critics, etc.

The only critics I trust in is Totalbiscuit, Angry Joe, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and sometimes Gamespy, all game critics. Don't have any other media critics I trust in, which is a shame, because a good movie critic could be nice sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    TotalBiscuit for games, and a couple of MMO-C posters for the rest (since pretty much any damn thing WILL be discussed here sooner or later, anyway :P). You're actually one of them, Arrow!
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    I trust Angry Joe and TotalBiscuit when it comes to game reviews.

I disregard most critics myself, given that these days, everyone's a critic. I only take note of critics who's work I've followed over the years or know to coincide with my own likes/taste. There's a lot of jumped up web-reviewers of no name sites that tend to appear as 'star critics' and the like on meta-review sites, who basically don't know how to identify a good sci-fi film or fantasy book from a turd.

Always take everything with a pinch of salt and judge the critic as well as their criticism.

Critics are wannabe artists who can't do it. And that's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    TotalBiscuit for games, and a couple of MMO-C posters for the rest (since pretty much any damn thing WILL be discussed here sooner or later, anyway :P). You're actually one of them, Arrow!
    Aww, you flatter.

10+ Year Old Account
    None. An amateur with a sense of self-entitlement has nothing on my own perception.
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite is Yahtzee, at Zero Punctuation. Solid criticisms, doesn't ALWAYS poop all over every game he reviews, but also no qualms about doing so if it deserves it. He's also aware of his own preferences and how that affects his reviews, and makes note of it when relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    They're two entirely different skill sets. And Yahtzee, at least, has made several critically-acclaimed games, so he's hardly a "wannabe artist who can't do it".

I trust the guys over at Red Letter Media to give some solid critiquing on anything film related. Even though they're a bunch of sellout hack frauds.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    You don't need to produce art to possess a critical understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    My favorite is Yahtzee, at Zero Punctuation. Solid criticisms, doesn't ALWAYS poop all over every game he reviews, but also no qualms about doing so if it deserves it. He's also aware of his own preferences and how that affects his reviews, and makes note of it when relevant.
    Oh yeah, Yahtzee is cool too, at least the stuff I've seen from him. It annoys me he doesn't have his own channel however, because I don't want to subscribe to the Escapist Magazine and get bombarded with stuff I don't care about.

Anybody knows anything about an YouTube movie/trailer reviewer called "JeremyJahns"? Found him and saw some videos from him, he doesn't seem half-bad at reviewing, and since he seems to watch movies before they're released officially, I imagine he's sort of an "official critic".

Actual critics: Anthony Fantano, Ian Cohen, HFS40K (rip), writers for Lurkerspath, and a bunch of rateyourmusic users. I follow labels, musicians and read discussions on a bunch of forums. There's so much music that it's difficult to keep up, even when I try to spend an hour or two daily just filling my backlog with new music.

10+ Year Old Account
    TB and Yahtzee are the only ones with opinions I generally find myself caring about.

Roger ebert. I dont even read his reviews till after I see the movie but totally feel the same way.

haters gonna hate

Deleted
    I don't view any reviews or anything, as I know what I want and I can do my own unbiased research.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the term "trusting a critic". I am my own critic, and can decide for myself. Eventually, after I watch a film, I look up other people's opinions for evaluation and discussion. Some of the movie critics I like are Richard Roeper, Peter Travers, Chris Stuckmann, Eric Striffler and Brad Brevet. They often seem to have some interesting things to say about the movies they review. But my hero (literally) is Roger Ebert, who recently passed away. I have been reading his reviews for years (after I watch the given movie myself of course, I don't like to have an opinion beforehand). We seem(ed) to appreciate a lot of the same values in films, and I eventually wound up having rather similar opinions as Mr. Ebert himself, which led me to always going to him afterwards. He has inspired me beyond words, not just in terms of film criticism, but the film medium itself.

I don't really play games except Guild Wars 2, and I don't watch game reviews. In terms of music though, I like to read The A.V. Club, Soundvenue and some other magazines and sites. I listen to a lot of music myself, which makes it interesting to hear what other people thought of it. And reading such magazines/sites gives a lot of inspiration and recommendations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Roger Ebert for movies. Adam Sessler for games.

I see them as another human being, not some all knowing seer. I value the critics the most who I watch let's plays of (in the case of video games) as I'm getting both a first hand view of what the gameplay is like, alongside their opinions of it. I get a lot of things from let's plays that I can't get from a trailer, like how comfortable the controls for the game are, because I'll hear them complain about the controls and watch them die repeatedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Red Letter Media for films. They share my tastes, and know that they're hacks.
    Also, they share by hatred of Adam sandler, so bonus points there.

[sarcasm]Anita Sarkeesian because of her views on feminism and videogames[sarcasm\]
    Thunderf00t because he have some interesting views on from religion to politics.
    Bill Maher for the same reasons. And Richard Dawkins for his views on religion.