Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

My main issue with Books...

Doesn't it piss you off how book readers percieve those who don't read?

Non-readers are usually considered: stupid, dull, boring, emotionless... And I'm not talking 'bout stereotypes (because I know such people in person which to this day amazes me).

Not every Reader but some of them consider themselves better just because they are reading (as if it was some kind of magical marker determining your human value and spiritual depth)
    Last edited by mmocde15ca192d; 2013-06-26 at 01:58 PM.

Deleted
    Well it's generally true - notice I say generally.
    Personally I was reading adult books since I was 7, and I found it greatly increased spelling, vocabulary and sentence structurewhich while one may learn at later years, sets a solid foundation at young ages

No, I've noticed no such thing. Generalizations ahoy.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

*Shrug*. There are dicks when it comes to everything. Your choice if you want to let that get to you or not.

*Goes back to reading*

Deleted
    Well it is a know fact that books may contain knowledge...

It is also a know fact that reading a lot makes you smarter, be it on paper or on a screen.

Deleted
    It doesn't apply just to books. It applies to any form of medium. Although, it is the most common because they're the oldest medium.
    It is especially ironic considering the majority of those who think like that read those simple, easy to read books.
    A lot of people have this separatist attitude; and it's always easier to feel superiour by consuming a more difficult art than by deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodacz View Post
    Non-readers are usually considered: stupid, dull, boring, emotionless... And I'm not talking 'bout stereotypes (because I know such people in person which to this day amazes me).
    It's not about any of the things you listed, it's about knowledge dealing with ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodacz View Post
    Doesn't it piss you off how book readers percieve those who don't read?
    I think people that don't read are almost uniformly dull and ignorant. I don't think that perception is unfair at all.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your title is missleading, i came here to see what exactly you had against book but aftherall you hold nothing against book, just against people.

On topic, you have to remember that not that long ago if you wanted to get information, be it to learn about the evolution teory or simple the weather forcast, reading a book was the best way to do it. Because of this reading books became a somewhat simbol of intlect.

Nowadays with the internet and so on you dont need to read a book to get information, however the older generation still belives that reading books is a sign of intlect.

Finaly that type of atitude don´t piss me of, i just ignore it, maybe because i like to reed books.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    No, I've noticed no such thing. Generalizations ahoy.
    People don't say there honest opinion always. I had my Grandmother say just what the OP is saying. She's an elderly women off soon 75. Still got her wits and decent health, and she reads often, and thinks that the modern youth don't read much, and that, that is kinda bad thing.

I don't read much myself. Last book I read was "The girl with the dragon tatoo" triology. Was good to read em. Else I read quit many books inn my youngere years, including Harry Potter as millions off others :P
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    I don't read, I barely read forums or magazines just skim over and pick out words. I much prefer to watch a movie or listen to music.

I find books incredibly boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think people that don't read are almost uniformly dull and ignorant. I don't think that perception is unfair at all.
    Question is, why do you think like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Probably experience with social interaction.

Probably because for the most part, it's an accurate perception.

I do agree that people who read regularly are more likely to be not as stupid, dull, boring, etc.

It would, of course, be unwise to assort all non-readers into that category.

Deleted
    As much as it is a generalization, I do tend to gravitate towards other people who read for their active imaginations. It's still by no means a definitive indication of persons intellectual status.
    I do understand why reading isn't for everyone, and again it has nothing to do with intelligence.

The answer's in a book somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Charliesheen View Post
    Well it's generally true - notice I say generally.
    Personally I was reading adult books since I was 7, and I found it greatly increased spelling, vocabulary and sentence structurewhich while one may learn at later years, sets a solid foundation at young ages
    This was true for me as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read all the time and I've never really thought anything negative about someone because they didn't read. I like it when I find someone who does read as it gives something to talk about I guess. There are many more things than reading that goes into my judgement of people though.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find that people who do not read have less active imaginations than those who do read, I also notice they seem less likely to find enjoyment in non visual/non audio entertainment.

So to me, yes they seem dull and boring.