Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Oh right, we can regrow teeth nowadays.

Coming from a country that doesn't put fluoride in its drinking water, we certainly use fluoride in our toothpaste.

I'm not really bothered about fluoride though, it's countries that treat their water with chloride/chlorine/whateveritscalled that make me gag. I understand why some (most?) countries have to do it, but it still makes the tap water taste absolutely terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Akylios View Post
    Coming from a country that doesn't put fluoride in its drinking water, we certainly use fluoride in our toothpaste.

I'm not really bothered about fluoride though, it's countries that treat their water with chloride/chlorine/whateveritscalled that make me gag. I understand why some (most?) countries have to do it, but it still makes the tap water taste absolutely terrible.
    Yeah toothpaste generally comes with fluoride but plenty doesnt have, its just a matter of looking into it, not to mention diet affects it even more than whether you brush or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Akylios View Post
    Drinking water has fluoride in it naturally a lot of the time, and often water providers will remove fluoride from the water, because too much isn't good. Sometimes they add some.

It isn't this crazy unnatural additive that the evil government keeps pumping into us, presumably to control our minds, the way that the conspiracy theorists seem to think that it is.

If they don't add any to the water wher you live, then it's probably because there's already enough in it, or because you get enough of it from other sources (such as toothpaste, like you mention). As a kid, I used to take fluoride pills, along with all my other siblings... I stopped quite early, though, and can't remember why. Is that some child-thing? Well, no matter.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Drinking water has fluoride in it naturally a lot of the time, and often water providers will remove fluoride from the water, because too much isn't good. Sometimes they add some.

It isn't this crazy unnatural additive that the evil government keeps pumping into us, presumably to control our minds, the way that the conspiracy theorists seem to think that it is.

If they don't add any to the water wher you live, then it's probably because there's already enough in it, or because you get enough of it from other sources (such as toothpaste, like you mention). As a kid, I used to take fluoride pills, along with all my other siblings... I stopped quite early, though, and can't remember why. Is that some child-thing? Well, no matter.
    What you say is true, but it depends on region several have very little fluoride concentrations, just like water can be very hard or soft it can have almost no fluoride or too much naturally.

I do oppose adding to it however, there is no reason to add it to neither water nor toothpaste.
    As i said before its mostly about stopping to do senseless things than anything else, im sure there are costs to insert fluoride into the water and toothpaste seems like a senseless waste of money to me.
    Where does the fluoride come from btw, that is used to put in water/paste? never really been curious to seek out where its harvested from.

10+ Year Old Account
    As always, Strangelove comes to mind.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a perfectly good reason why most of the EU does not do water fluoridation.

It's because they fluoridate the milk or the salt instead.

But don't expect to hear that out of the anti-fluoridation panbangers.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    There's a perfectly good reason why most of the EU does not do water fluoridation.

I can check. Nope not in milk and not in salt. Not added in water, its removed. Only toothpaste and mouthwash has some.
    Small amounts of it are good but over 5mg/kg seems to kill?! Wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    It always seems to be the country with the worst dental hygiene that calls us idiots for putting fluoride in our water.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Im pretty sure they dont flourate* the water in Scotland.
    im sure its not widespread in England either, i think some water companies do, but most don't as far as i know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorid...United_Kingdom

only 10% of the country gets it and only if you're with a certain 5 water companies.
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    It always seems to be the country with the worst dental hygiene that calls us idiots for putting fluoride in our water.
    I honestly don't think that's the sentiment. As some have already stated, even though there is no fluoride in our drinking water, most people get it from somewhere else instead. For instance I think in the Nordic countries almost everyone uses toothpaste with fluoride in it.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    im sure its not widespread in England either, i think some water companies do, but most don't as far as i know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorid...United_Kingdom

only 10% of the country gets it and only if you're with a certain 5 water companies.
    Fluoridation plans have been particularly controversial in the North West of England and have been delayed after a large increase on projected costs was revealed.[69]

So it got canned in Lancs. because of the budget, not for health reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    As always, Strangelove comes to mind.

I am still trying to translate that last sentence of his.

Also I would like to remind everyone that it is unfair to condemn a whole program on account of a single slip up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidpci View Post
    http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/qu...r-fluoridation

The idea here is that, even while multiple universities and medical trials proven fluoride is harmful, it's a necessary evil to prevent... tooth decay. Even though fluorosis is a leading cause of tooth decay. And of course, I'm the tin foil hat guy that hasn't been to the dentist in almost 20 years brushing with fluoride free toothpaste. But, you know... IT'S GOOD FER YE! Government says so. Never mind all those counties in America that have voted to remove it from the tap water, they're a bunch of tin foil hats like me.

/sarcasm

Placing fluoride in the drinking water to prevent tooth decay is like ingesting sun screen to prevent sun burn. Not to mention the trend of adding fluoride to the drinking water started in Nazi Germany. I guess Hitler wanted all those Jewish teeth to be nice and white before the gas chambers... *cough*
    Although fluorosis only has any harmfull effects on young children and by 8 years of age has no effect on the teeth that is harmful. The reason its used its the area's of the teeth is does effect are more resistant to decay.

The issue your not stating is "in moderation" used at the correct dosage fluoride has no harmfull side effects, but when you combine the drinking water, with toothpaste with mount wash etc it ends up to much.

A bit like salt, you need it to live but you get far to much of it in all the processed foods for your daily intake.

The fault is not with the fluoride in the water really.

Try reading a bit on this wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_fluorosis

its also states a few of the causes outside of just excessive fluoride intake that can cause fluorosis like poor calcium intake in children ie the child can have low fluorine intake which would normally be harmless but because of also having low calcium intake it can cause fluorosis.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Except. They didn't put fluoride in the water because of the teeth. It was to make the water clear. Swimming pools come to mind.
    Nope definitely to prevent tooth decey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation and was done to help children and the poor.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskymon View Post
    I can check. Nope not in milk and not in salt. Not added in water, its removed. Only toothpaste and mouthwash has some.
    And how's that been working for ya?

More red=higher rate of cavities

Apparently it hasn't been working all that well.
    Last edited by Masark; 2013-07-03 at 05:48 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I have edited the op to add more to the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskymon View Post
    Small amounts of it are good but over 5mg/kg seems to kill?! Wow.
    125mg/kg, not 5.
    Caffeine is like 175mg/kg and I guaran-fucking-tee you are getting a shit ton more caffeine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The only actual conspiracy I've seen, is that it's a form of brainwashing, because why not. And this conspiracy always tend to start, yes, you guessed it, with Hitler, which you so decided to include.
    Well, not everything that got started under Hitler should automatically be assumed to be a conspiracy theory, because you know the Germans scientists were actually at the top of their game and should be taken seriously. It could very well be a coincidence that something major got found out during the rule of the nazis. Big deal. The worst thing you can do is rule out any possibility of a smart discussion and pull the 'conspiracy' card.

I'm not saying any of this freaking out is justified. But to completely ignore an intelligent discussion because you think of it as a conspiracy because something got started under Hitler is just lunatic. You are acting like those people were retards while they were not, they were the smartest nation of the world at that time and they've had a HUGE impact on the life we have today. Most modern technology as well as the whole space race was developed by German technology, don't you deny it. Fact is, they discovered and developed our modern world, so it's wise to dissect their findings instead of ridiculing them like a goddamn conspiracy theory.