Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What's your opinion on joke characters having importance in a lore event?

Title asks it all.

Personally, I think it's silly. Sure, moving Hogger to the Stockades was just fine - but having someone like Gamon help down a boss and have true importance in the Siege of Orgrimmar? That's a bit too much for my tastes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrowshire View Post
    Title asks it all.

Personally, I think it's silly. Sure, moving Hogger to the Stockades was just fine - but having someone like Gamon help down a boss and have true importance in the Siege of Orgrimmar? That's a bit too much for my tastes.
    Gamon was going a little far, sure you can say "It's only an achievement, it's not required." the fact that it happened at all though, is just ridiculous.

Gamon is only a joke character because people idiotically went on and on about him until he became a stupid meme. He's just an average Tauren citizen of Orgrimmar who basically got into a lot of fights in a bar, and then shaped up and was trained by Nazgrim.

It's like mankrik's wife. The story of a woman who gets taken during battle and slaughtered by quillboar is hardly something you'd consider funny.

Both aren't jokes lorewise, the community has just made them into something they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Gamon was going a little far, sure you can say "It's only an achievement, it's not required." the fact that it happened at all though, is just ridiculous.
    Yet how they treat Gamon with the Nazgrim fight is in a mature manner. Huge difference.

Did no one else see it coming that Gamon would be in a fight? Really?

Plus it's 100% optional to have him involved in the fight. What's the big deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

gamon is no joke. gamon is a lore reflex of player behavior.

like when kingslayer orkus talks about the wars in hillsbrad, this is a case where blizzard acknowledged player behavior and made it lore. people kept killing gamon in the inn, so blizzard made him uber strong because he had been beaten so much that he had to learn how to fight, eventually. that makes him an experienced brawler, and more than capable of being a raid NPC.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Gamon is too far.

So was killing the entire Westfall zone with it being one massive parody that isn't really that funny.

I love Blizzard's references and parodys but lately they've started to take it too far and at times it can ruin immersion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Gamon, the real leader of the army of light!
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I'm alone here? But I think it's fun- but then I like Gamon and Hogger and the like. Maybe if it was someone I liked less it would annoy me a bit- but this is just fun and I love it.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Gamon is too far.

So was killing the entire Westfall zone with it being one massive parody that isn't really that funny.

I love Blizzard's references and parodys but lately they've started to take it too far and at times it can ruin immersion
    I see your Westfall and I raise you Redridge.

Deleted
    Do you mean like having pandas be the focus of a whole expansion? Sounds like a joke, and judging by the game's unfortunate jettisoning populace, it should have stayed a joke. Which is what many of us wise folk predicted would be the case.

I don't like it one bit.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    I see your Westfall and I raise you Redridge.
    I actually enjoyed the Redridge storyline, i've seen it shit on a few times though, why is it considered so bad?

I actually found it enjoyable the redemption part and a sad ending.

I actually like that they are doing something with Gamon. I wish they would expand a little more on his story tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say I like the idea. Joke characters should be one note, and the real lore should be given to the real lore characters, not side tracked for a joke character to piss around.

I don't mind the odd joke of reference, like if millhouse manastorm pops up and says something silly.. but having half an entire zone dedicated to bad character parodies, like indiana jones and rambo.. thats going to far.
    #boycottchina

Don't see the problem, who cares if it's Gamon or some random new NPC or if there's no NPC help at all. I mean, it doesn't make a huge difference who's helping if anyone. I don't really see why it matters at all, seems like people grasping for something to complain about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    I actually like that they are doing something with Gamon. I wish they would expand a little more on his story tbh.
    Agree. I am happy to see Gamon have a place in Orgrimmar and would have been disappointed if he didn't have one. His voice files are epic, and I really want to know his life story now and I do hope for the best for him ^_^

There are occasions that they go too far, but Gamon's not one of them in my opinion. He's a character that was made popular by the community. As a result, he got a SMALL role in a raid, in which he only plays a part if the players go for the achievement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? All the hate? I think it's rather poetic justice! For years Gamon was tormented by Horde players in Org. He was upgraded in Cata as a response to players abusing him relentlessly, to see him evolve into a raid npc to save Orgimmar is kind of sealing the deal. Gamon is a part of Orgimmar, and has been there for a very, very long time. That he has a hand in saving it is okay by me, and its also a bit amusing for horde players to see how far he's come.

Also watching him beat stuff up is awesome! XD

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    I actually enjoyed the Redridge storyline, i've seen it shit on a few times though, why is it considered so bad?

I actually found it enjoyable the redemption part and a sad ending.
    have you watched the rambo movies?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I think this is misnamed. Gamon was not a joke character because he was never intended to be comedic relief. This was more a result of broken game mechanics and being turned into a meme. The same can be said of Saurfang being the 'Chuck Norris' of Warcraft. Saurfang isn't a joke character. Neither is Gamon.