Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    yea i do and i remember saying screw this at level 30, and quitting for about 3 months back in V

Most classes weren't hard, but very tedious. The ones that I remember being stupidly fun (Because of how easy and fast it was) was Warlock and Hunter. Pets were such a great boon back then to leveling, you all don't even know! *Rambles on*

This thread is about 40 posts of carebears repeating eachother. If your not go an a anything at least use different words than the last guy.

Oh, and the 'tediousness', is called gameplay. It kept each toon more valuable since they couldn't be mass produced. But w.e, keep blowing through tons of content so you can farm the same faceroll content at max level for weeks.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2013-08-03 at 09:21 PM.

The journey to my first level 60 was quite possibly the greatest experience in this game. Unfortunately, the newer generation can never feel that experience with leveling being 10 times as fast.

Deleted
    Spending the last level's in Tyr's Hand, grinding away... ah those were the times.
    No, not missing it at all, glad it's gone

15+ Year Old Account
    It was never, ever, ever, ever, ever hard to get to max level. It was tedious, though. I got my first level 60 about 6 months before BC was in beta and it took me about 3-4 months to get there from level 0. It was fucking annoying! I couldn't stand leveling alts through Cataclysm because the grind was so long and boring. Hell, MOP's grind is a bit better but it still annoys the shit out of me how controlled and linear some zones are.

If zones were more populated and there was more of a reason to -care- about being anywhere under max level, that's something. But make no mistake - it was not that fun trying to level in Hillsbrad and being camped for hours. And I love PVP servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    It felt like a journey, and honestly, everything wrong with it, all the stuff they "Fixed" that naga guy was talking about. Kinda made it feel real. I know I'm hardcore goggles, but with 0 outside help and no knowledge, looking back I loved it, I did die a lot, I didn't know what I was doing, and I'm now a semi-hardcore raider.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Well, I never found it particularly hard, but that's coming from a player who'd already spent years playing a much more grindy, punishing MMO.

I find it a lot "harder" to reach max level, starting from a low lever character, than I ever did prior to Wrath. Not because of the total exp required, not because stuff is hard to kill (it's not), but because it's so. damn. BORING. I've played through Vanilla and all of the expansions, up to level cap 4 times now. I've played through Cata level cap 6 times, BC 8 (I hate Wrath; I can get through BC, but once I hit Northrend the will to bother doing ANYthing other than check mail, or reorganize a private guildbank just evaporates, and the only reason I got Cata 6 times is that half of those characters got a boost through Wrath from a very patient friend).

I've about 3 sub-60 alts just sort of hovering between 30 and 50 right now. I've no motivation to level them because Wrath will always be there, waiting for me to give up the moment I log the alt in. Cata's not a huge improvement, the way it's so spread all over the place.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Idk if you've leveled recently without heirlooms. But 1-90 takes as long as 1-60 did at vanilla launch.

At least for me it seems

I recently leveled a mage on a new server with no looms, took awhile, felt like a serious drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    This thread is about 40 posts of carebears repeating eachother.
    Maybe it's a sign that the whole premise of this thread is stupid?

Also all MMORPGs launch with drawn out and tedious leveling when they're lacking in (close to) level cap content, WoW included. But now when there actually are things to do when you hit max level the xp grind no longer needs to be artificially prolonged.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Oh, and the 'tediousness', is called gameplay. It kept each toon more valuable since they couldn't be mass produced. But w.e, keep blowing through tons of content so you can farm the same faceroll content at max level for weeks.
    Because my priest casting Power Word: Shield and the occasional heal or DoT on a target, with wand spamming for the majority of my leveling to 60 was so thrilling and exciting. :l Not every class had wonderful worth and amazing ways to level up and experience the content like other classes did their first time around. No body liked leveling a priest, and no one gave that little journey worth.

But that's just an example of how some classes were just absolutely terrible with how slow going through leveling was. It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, especially before a lot of the ways to get experience were upped.

Quote Originally Posted by ace94 View Post
    Those were the days...
    By hard of course I mean longer... it's not an IQ test.
    The first time you did it with little to no knowledge of what you were doing.
    Now it is maybe years later, so you cannot compare fairly.

Dungeon and raid queues are there for a variety of reasons.
    Players who have little choice but to commit most of their play time to unsociable hours when most groups are not pugging.
    Artificially raised requirements set by arrogant players.
    Increasing exposure to more of the community, rather than encouraging reliance on closed and predictable groups.

People keep going on about how something they did the first time is hard, well being the first time it always will be.
    Subsequent times with increased knowledge and experience will be easier, irrespective of the class since there are many common factors including the basic behaviour of mobs, the functionality of the UI, habits like inventory management, possibility of an alt being funded by a main, etc.

This thread is about 40 posts of carebears repeating eachother. If your not go an a anything at least use different words than the last guy.
    So if someone disagrees with you they are called a carebear, or I would expect possibly a blizzard fanoboy ?
    Tired argument from players who think they are better than everyone else, and decide that a difficulty or an experience that appeals to them is meaningful and should be forced upon everyone else.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-08-03 at 09:34 PM.

Hard != long. Difficulty and time investment are two completely separate issues. So either you just don't like the answers or you messed up the question. Your choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    - I started Aug 2005, and quit at level 10 because of how long it took just to get there.
    - When life slowed down, I resubbed in Aug 2007, and it took literally 4 months just to hit 70
    - In Wrath it was MUCH faster to hit 70-80 than it was for 60-70
    - When Cata came out - it wasn't to bad from 80-85, but it was a lot getting another freshy up from 1 to 85.. it took a bit
    - NOW, even with nerfs, 1-90 is prettttty long, but WAY less than the old prenerf 1-60, or even 60-70 probably.

There are many meanings of the word 'hard' just because everyone thinks it's hard as for difficulty it's not my problem.
    Nothing wrong with speaking your own language. But expecting other people to use your private interpretations of your language is your problem.

In terms of WoW, if you consider the raids faceroll, how can any leveling be characterized as "hard", even in classic?

The hilarious thing is that when WoW first came out, veterans of games like Everquest and FFXI were complaining about how stupidly easy it was to level in WoW. You could do it solo! With quests that gave you lots of experience! And you didn't even get punished for dying!

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how everyone in this forum were masters of the game the first time they picked up a MMO. Didn't die once, and are leet.

I just leveled my hunter, and literally from 1-85 didnt die once.. seems like it has gotten easier...
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Those were the days...
    Dafuq are you talking about? It takes freaking ages to reach level 90.
    Statix will suffice.

Being max level is a prerequisite to having fun in this game now for 97% of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    I just leveled my hunter, and literally from 1-85 didnt die once.. seems like it has gotten easier...
    Easier with the class that has most tools in the game to get rid of mobs if they're taking a beating, and probably loaded with all possible heirlooms...
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.