Poll: Are you for or against Lab Grown Food Products?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lab Grown Meat, yay or nay?

So the Lab Grown meat debate has been going around rather a lot recently and Id like to know your opinions on it, whether you are for it and or see future in this food production, or whether it will be something that will just die down overtime (money wasted on this R&D).

Few videos with positive mindset on Lab Grown meat (inVitro):

I had debate with a co-worker and he pretty much was fully against this "will not happen soon, too many sicknesses will occur from this, much rather have a juicy, tasty burger, also never know the negatives from this after 50 years down the line of you consuming this"

Personally I am all in for this, of course as anything new, it needs fine-tuning and id give it 10 years before its widespread in the supermarkets and 20 before it is widely accepted by pretty much everyone. Sure, I wouldn't try to eat it yet, as said, with any new technlogy, it needs to be tested thoroughly before it hits the chains.

Thoughts?

(I looked through the forum, unless iv missed it I have not seen this topic pop-up)
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-08-08 at 08:38 PM.

Hell no, I'm not touching that with a 50-foot pole. If they replace real meat with that garbage, I will start hunting and killing my own food.

Deleted
    I would at least try it, taste would be the decider.

If it still tastes good, bring on the science meat.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickHunter40245 View Post
    Hell no, I'm not touching that with a 50-foot pole. If they replace real meat with that garbage, I will start hunting and killing my own food.
    If you're just starting now I suspect you'll be going hungry for quite some time.

"Guys we've just found a way to 100% faithfully recreate the exact same product you get from raising an animal to adulthood. It tastes the same and is actually more safe because it's less prone to disease and bacteria. It also may over time be cheaper and has the potential to be more environmentally friendly"

"Blragh scary science not natural blahrgh scary scary naturalist fallacy".
    Last edited by shimerra; 2013-08-08 at 08:33 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Deleted
    It better have some fat to it.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have been a vegan for about eight years, but I would foresee this being the future of not just meat but food in general. The current meat industry is not sustainable and tends to contribute to environment problems.

Of course, the other side benefit is that it could be engineered to focus on the positives (iron, protein, etc) and not have as many (or any) of the negatives (high fat, high cholesterol, etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    One of gazzillion issues that many have with this is that if this becomes common, we no longer need cows, pigs and so forth, causing these mammals to become extinct (and some may not have a problem with this) although huray for cloning! I am still waiting on my Wooly Mammoth ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupremus View Post
    One of gazzillion issues that many have with this is that if this becomes common, we no longer need cows, pigs and so forth, causing these mammals to become extinct (and some may not have a problem with this) although huray for cloning! I am still waiting on my Wooly Mammoth ...
    There'll always be a market for "the real thing." It's just that having alternatives available is going to reduce the amount we actually need. Going from a staple to a niche market.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I would at least try it, taste would be the decider.
    yep this

/10char
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    There'll always be a market for "the real thing." It's just that having alternatives available is going to reduce the amount we actually need. Going from a staple to a niche market.
    I guess I see that. In further future (50 years?) the "real thing" will most likely be a luxury for the wealthier or simply a more expensive dinner out.

That burger ended up costing $330,000, so I doubt I'll have to worry about the poll question anytime soon.

You CAN get artificially grown fungus burgers, though. Yum!
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Pfft, too expensive for mainstream. Guessing it will be just a science gimmick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for it. While something like will most likely never come to your supermarket, with it being a slow process and expensive, something else entirely could be learned from this. Maybe grow functional organs, ready for the people who need them? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggis View Post
    Pfft, too expensive for mainstream. Guessing it will be just a science gimmick.
    All technology is expensive early on. Microwaves used to cost thousands of dollars. 3D printers have gone from tens of thousands to a few hundred bucks within a few years.

I'm all for lab grown meats, as long as the ingredients remain natural. If they need to start pumping it full of chemicals to make it taste right, I'll stick with my organic, grass fed stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they make it safely and taste good, I'm all for it.

Deleted
    enjoying meat while no animals are getting killed? perfect!

Deleted
    Undecided.

If the process is just cloning of tissue without adding chemicals and stuff then I'll buy it ASAP.

If the process is full of chemicals and preservatives and crap like that, then I won't buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no! Monsanto really comes to mind when I think of lab grown foods.