Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Warhammer Online to shut down

Will shut down permanently on December 18th when the IP license expires from Games Workshop.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09...december-18th/

A shame. Probably the most fun pvp I've had in an mmorpg. It also had the best classes of any mmo that I can remember. They really should have gone free to play a few years ago, it might have picked up more players and perhaps given EA more motivation to support the game.

EA's only motivations are money and the blood of the innocent. I'd say this should serve as a warning to arrogant morons claiming every new MMO is the death of WoW (Waiting on Warhammer comes to mind), but they won't listen.

They had a lot of great ideas with the game though. To me it's a shame that the game never got the support that it needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the Warhammer Universe but that game failed on so many levels. The combat design wasn't fluid or responsive and the class abilities just weren't very fun. Class design that was inherently broken by having classes locked by faction, which was obviously stupid in a game very centered around faction pvp that needed balance. Classes locked into race as well. Lack of standard class roles too! All I ever wanted to be was a badass chaos warrior with a 2h Axe chopping off heads, and that wasnt possible. PVE was never really there. Questing was ok.

I hope Warhammer gets another shot at being a MMO. Post Pandaclysm it's the best Tolkien rip off property out there.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Been a long time coming with how dead the game has been for years now. Still sad to see it happen, especially for the few remaining fans and those working on the game.

Not surprising at all. It's still sad, game had potential of course to be flushed down the toilet. I'm beginning to expect this from every single game published by EA now.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I love the Warhammer Universe but that game failed on so many levels. The combat design wasn't fluid or responsive and the class abilities just weren't very fun. Class design that was inherently broken by having classes locked by faction, which was obviously stupid in a game very centered around faction pvp that needed balance. Classes locked into race as well. Lack of standard class roles too! All I ever wanted to be was a badass chaos warrior with a 2h Axe chopping off heads, and that wasnt possible. PVE was never really there. Questing was ok.

I hope Warhammer gets another shot at being a MMO. Post Pandaclysm it's the best Tolkien rip off property out there.
    Well, to be fair the classes were mirrored for both factions, so both factions had a copy of each class, just the classes were called something different. However the mirrors weren't 100% identical and often had one or two different spells and/or 'talents' on their talent tree... ladder thing.

As for the Chaos Warrior... there were Chosen... they could wield two-handed axes?

It is a shame the game went the way that it did, it had a pretty iffy launch and started off with way too many servers (I thought so anyway) and never really recovered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oww i really enjoy warhammer every now and then It was inevitable but i still see people ingame that play everyday I'm sure their will be a lot of devastated people with that news

Healing in warhammer was so much fun, being rewarded for actually keeping people alive rather than relying on your team to kill things was a much better way than traditional systems it added an extra reason to keep people alive as the longer you kept them alive the bigger your reward

Woah, this is some saddening news for Warhammer fans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CursedEmbrace View Post
    Well, to be fair the classes were mirrored for both factions, so both factions had a copy of each class, just the classes were called something different. However the mirrors weren't 100% identical and often had one or two different spells and/or 'talents' on their talent tree... ladder thing.

As for the Chaos Warrior... there were Chosen... they could wield two-handed axes?

It is a shame the game went the way that it did, it had a pretty iffy launch and started off with way too many servers (I thought so anyway) and never really recovered.
    It never really played out like that. As a chosen you pretty much ended up being a meatshield standing in doorways.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    It never really played out like that. As a chosen you pretty much ended up being a meatshield standing in doorways.
    Yeah, I guess so.

One thing I really disliked about WAR, or rather its community is how rigidly the community wanted class X to stick to one particular role, its like the stories people tell of Vanilla WoW. If you could heal, you healed or you caught crap for it.

Some of the characters I played I wanted to be a dps Zealot say, just stand around cutting myself to dot people up and throw out rezzes where possible, but you got a lot of hate for it, or I did anyway...

Guess it'd be the same for the tankier guys, though I mostly mained a Blackguard who used a two-hander for dps and rarely got any flack for it, but yeah.

Sad to see it go, met some cool people on some rp realm that was eventually merged with Karak Norn or something.

Another WoW-killer come and gone. Let's queue it up!

Mod Warning: Please refrain from making "WoW-killer" comments. They add nothing to the conversation and only spark arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aw man, that kinda sucks. I think it's worse that the game never lived to its potential, I feel they could have done so much more... oh well, still waiting on a WFB oblivion/skyrim like RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, didn't feel for this franchise alltogether. Personally I think they would be better off trying again later. I'll give them their cinematics were good but personally gameplay was bleh. Not like Warcraft.

As for classes I don't recall a lot of stuff. I prefer the archetypes Warcraft has. Guild Wars II is nice but some are a bit split(Ele and Mes). The races I don't recall much but then again it did seem like a more hardcore Warcraft(Like X-rated RAWR RAWR) stuff with two opposing factions.

Which is fine..I guess but if I had to deal with "YOUR FACTION SUCKS BECAUSE X LOLOLOLL BADDIE"

I'm very tired of that.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2013-09-18 at 10:53 PM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to miss this game. I thought about going back to WAR a few months ago, and was surprised to see that it was still around, but still had a monthly fee. I was hoping it had gotten cheaper, or gone free to play, seeing how the last time I logged on, my toons had merged to some other server, and I had lost some toons as well.

I have kind of lost touch with Warhammer games, are they going to ever do a new RTS? I loved the Dawn of War series, but not the DoW II series. I was very dissappointed with DoW II.

10+ Year Old Account
    rip in peace.

Mod Warning: Please refrain from posting only to post a meme. It is considered spam.
    Last edited by Wynnyelle; 2013-09-19 at 03:17 PM.

Well that sucks. I rather liked Warhammer.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    They had a lot of great ideas with the game though. To me it's a shame that the game never got the support that it needed.
    I remember this game having some serious problems and terrible design choices. Like how people turned into sprites, even when they werent' actually far away.

I am actually surprised how long it was around. The server was almost empty last time i tried.

They have messed this game up pretty bad. First they release it with 50% of the content intended. Massive Bugs, RVR completlely broken. Then they take forever to patch it. And for everyone still standing: Oh somehow our PVP maps seem to favor the AOE classes since everyone just gets bombed away. Maybe we should have played a single game ourselves. Thats where I left a PVP MMO cant work with bright mages going rampage. The devs abandoned the game a few months later, I cant remember the game ever getting much content added.

I still hope to see more of the Warhammer license but please no MMOs anymore.
    Last edited by Faldric; 2013-09-18 at 11:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was in the WAR Beta for a long time. Really liked the people at Mythic too. But it was simply a bad design. They thought instanced pvp was the wave of the future and were either unwilling or unable to start over when they discovered that wasn't what many wanted. Instead they tried to graft open pvp on top of an instanced pvp design and ended up with something that didn't satisfy either well enough for anywhere near enough subscribers for EA's tastes.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.