Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    Checking if something is plugged in when it's not working is "common" sense...
    Really? So do you check if the wiring is okay if a light won't turn on? "common" sense does not apply to everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Please, please say you're joking.

I want to sleep tonight without tossing and turning over such stupidity existing in the world

Please...
    People also wonder why a microwave starts shooting sparks when you put aluminum foil stuff or metallic eating utensils inside...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

there is no evidence that "kids these days" are stupid. considering the ease at which they pick up the latest technology they may be smarter than ever before. Certainly the adults these days aren't anything to talk home to about. (look at the morons they gave us in congress)

Deleted
    Also I bet one of those teachers could use half a red marker on OPs post... Oh the irony

10+ Year Old Account
    Nick Burns is that you?

I worked in a computer store for a few years and so many "stupid" questions or comments. The most common we would get a call from a customer because their computer wasn't working and they did everything they could to fix it so we would set up a service call, about 5 to 10 mins later they would call back to cancel because they restarted and it works fine now.

My personal favorite will always be one old woman that came in, I was in the back a co-worker helped her;
    Customer: I need a UBS
    Co-worker: Do you need a USB cable or a UPS?
    Customer: *throws her hands up* you're to smart for me *storms out*
    Me: What just happened"
    Co-worker: Honestly, I don't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Really? So do you check if the wiring is okay if a light won't turn on? "common" sense does not apply to everything.
    I'd check the breaker 1st if its on check the light bulb and lastly the wiring. That order comes from personal preference, however common sense would lead me to think that if something that runs on electricity isn't turning on I should check whether its receiving power or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    I worked in a computer store for a few years and so many "stupid" questions or comments. The most common we would get a call from a customer because their computer wasn't working and they did everything they could to fix it so we would set up a service call, about 5 to 10 mins later they would call back to cancel because they restarted and it works fine now.

My personal favorite will always be one old woman that came in, I was in the back a co-worker helped her;
    Customer: I need a UBS
    Co-worker: Do you need a USB cable or a UPS?
    Customer: *throws her hands up* you're to smart for me *storms out*
    Me: What just happened"
    Co-worker: Honestly, I don't know.
    What's a UPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    What's a UPS?
    Uninterruptible power supply, a back up battery

Deleted
    Common sense would dictate that you would check the most obvious/common failure points first. The wiring is the hardest thing to check and isn't that likely to be the failure point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Please, please say you're joking.

I want to sleep tonight without tossing and turning over such stupidity existing in the world

Please...
    nope, that one is true. happened April 2013 ... ^^ and no, i don't keep book about the hillarious things that happen, i just remember the extraordinary ones ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    I'd check the breaker 1st if its on check the light bulb and lastly the wiring. That order comes from personal preference, however common sense would lead me to think that if something that runs on electricity isn't turning on I should check whether its receiving power or not.
    And not all think this way. Same with your microwave example, it is common sense once you know how microwaves actually work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zwiggy View Post
    1) Computer won't turn on.... A) It wasn't plugged in

2) The volume isn't very high... A) Turn up the system sound

3) My screen keeps going black when i leave it alone for an hour. A) Screen saver......

4) Why when i stretch this photo dose it go tall blurry. A) It was a 2 Mega Pixel camera on a phone.

I got these 3 questions in the space of 2 days from 3 different teachers in this school.
    There are 4 questions there?

Oh someone isn't computer tech savvy, must be an idiot...
    Whlie I understand the sentiment behind this statement, in today's world where computers are everywhere and are used for so many different things, not being tech savvy (I don't mean PC whiz kid, I mean know wnough to troubleshoot basic problems like those described by the OP) is really a sign that you don't pay attention and are probably an idiot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    Common sense would dictate that you would check the most obvious/common failure points first. The wiring is the hardest thing to check and isn't that likely to be the failure point.
    And where does that common sense come from? If you'd never changed one or don't know how lightbulbs work, what is common sense then?

10+ Year Old Account
    And where does that common sense come from? If you'd never changed one or don't know how lightbulbs work, what is common sense then?
    I'm guessing the common sense would be to unscrew it going left, after seeing the ridges on the base of the lightbulb.

Edit: It could also be two people standing on a chair holding the blob and two other people turning the chair.
    Last edited by Felya; 2013-09-24 at 03:19 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    You should at least know it runs on electricity and thus you'd check if lights and/or other items work in other rooms or not to rule out an outage (which would also be the first step if you knew how it works).

10+ Year Old Account
    No one taught me how to use a computer, or check a light bulb or install a ceiling fan. I watched someone and I learned. I don't think computers are scarce enough in 1st world countries to have people( who teach others) who have never seen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    what this guy said ...

i work for a mobile communications company in austria and the best question i ever got was:

Customer: "My USB Internet Stick doesn't work."
    Me: "What do you mean, it doesn't work? Describe it to me."
    Customer: "I plug it into my PS3 but i get no internet connection."
    Me: "Really?! .................................................."

to be fair, if you have no clue about what system requirements are needed for a usb-inet stick to work this is not at all stupid, what answer did you give?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    No one taught me how to use a computer, or check a light bulb or install a ceiling fan. I watched someone and I learned. I don't think computers are scarce enough in 1st world countries to have people( who teach others) who have never seen one.
    wut? no one taught you, you just watched and learned? who? no one was there to teach you

ghosts? witches? voodoo???
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Whlie I understand the sentiment behind this statement, in today's world where computers are everywhere and are used for so many different things, not being tech savvy (I don't mean PC whiz kid, I mean know wnough to troubleshoot basic problems like those described by the OP) is really a sign that you don't pay attention and are probably an idiot.
    Really, so how come cars have been around in most households for 50 years, yet something as changing an oilfilter proper is a problem for a major part of car-owners? It'd say cars are rather vital for a lot of people, yet basic troubleshooting is something few can do?