Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

And they wonder why kids these days are stupid.

I work in a school. I work in the IT support department. I get some of the most stupid problems come to me on a daily bases mainly from the teachers.

I'm going to list some of the problems and solutions TEACHERS are having.

1) Computer won't turn on.... A) It wasn't plugged in

2) The volume isn't very high... A) Turn up the system sound

3) My screen keeps going black when i leave it alone for an hour. A) Screen saver......

4) Why when i stretch this photo why dose it go tall and blurry. A) It was a 2 Mega Pixel camera on a phone.

I got these 4 questions in the space of 2 days from 3 different teachers in this school. On Tuesday the teachers are going on strike because they feel they need more money even though during the 6 week summer holiday only 1 or 2 showed up to prepare for the new term.
    Last edited by mmocfaf99010a6; 2013-09-26 at 10:41 AM.

There's no evidence that "kids these days" are stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be glad they need help with the computer so you keep your job? That's what i'd do.

Deleted
    Kids have always been stupid, you just notice it more as an adult.

10+ Year Old Account
    So teachers who are computer illiterate means that kids are stupid? Not following that logic.

It's not the teachers, it's the politicians in cahoots with the overall school system. They care more about inflating test scores to further their careers and say 'yes, that's bad, but education is doing well, test scores among third-graders are up ten percent across the board!' instead of teaching children critical thinking skills. Instead, they teach them the test answers and push them through the system like so much grist in a mill.

Quote Originally Posted by zwiggy View Post
    I work in a school. I work in the IT support department. I get some of the most stupid problems come to me on a daily bases mainly from the teachers.

I'm going to list some of the problems and solutions TEACHERS are having.

1) Computer won't turn on.... A) It wasn't plugged in

2) The volume isn't very high... A) Turn up the system sound

3) My screen keeps going black when i leave it alone for an hour. A) Screen saver......

4) Why when i stretch this photo dose it go tall blurry. A) It was a 2 Mega Pixel camera on a phone.

I got these 3 questions in the space of 2 days from 3 different teachers in this school. On Tuesday the teachers are going on strike because they feel they need more money even though during the 6 week summer holiday only 1 or 2 showed up to prepare for the new term.
    You mean children aren't born with a natural latent knowledge of how all things technological works?

Hey... guess what? THEY"RE CHILDREN! How about you stop complaining and TEACH them things!!!

Did your parents give up on you when you fell the first time - saying "Well, I guess he will never walk"?

Also, are ALL the children having this problem - or just some?

Lastly, tell me you never did something mind-blindingly stupid in your life when you were a kid. You know you have. Everybody has at some time.

Deleted
    Oh someone isn't computer tech savvy, must be an idiot...

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    It's not the teachers, it's the politicians in cahoots with the overall school system. They care more about inflating test scores to further their careers and say 'yes, that's bad, but education is doing well, test scores among third-graders are up ten percent across the board!' instead of teaching children critical thinking skills. Instead, they teach them the test answers and push them through the system like so much grist in a mill.
    This is sort of a leap from the OP talking about kids not knowing how to use computers

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You mean children aren't born with a natural latent knowledge of how all things technological works?

Hey... guess what? THEY"RE CHILDREN! How about you stop complaining and TEACH them things!!!

Did your parents give up on you when you fell the first time - saying "Well, I guess he will never walk"?

Lastly, tell me you never did something mind-blindingly stupid in your life when you were a kid. You know you have. Everybody has at some time.
    nice rant there, but he´s talking about the teachers
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

people not used to the way something works not understanding how it works is stupid?

go design a road. then watch all the engineers laugh at your simple mistakes.

or, to pick a much more poignant example, how about i call you out on this:

Why when i stretch this photo dose it go tall blurry

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida

I think he means that the people educating the children are often lacking in the common sense department and computer literacy. Not actually talking about the children themselves.

From my experience not all good teachers were remotely good at using technology, but crappy teachers were crappy with technology too.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2013-09-24 at 02:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    There is a line that is hard to notice when crossed. On one side, old people are dumb, while on the other is kids are dumb. It's hard to notice when that line is crossed, because the rational doesn't change. You just switch sides, thanks to time.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

None, None of the children are having this problem, the OP quite clearly said the teachers are the ones coming to him with these issues.

Regardless I don't see the problem unless they are I.T teachers, Just because someone's a teacher doesn't mean they know everything, Those issues you listed are common for people who are not into computers, Stupid problems lol, But understandable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    what this guy said ...

i work for a mobile communications company in austria and the best question i ever got was:

Customer: "My USB Internet Stick doesn't work."
    Me: "What do you mean, it doesn't work? Describe it to me."
    Customer: "I plug it into my PS3 but i get no internet connection."
    Me: "Really?! .................................................."

Deleted
    Never like the expression "And they wonder why <insert random statement>"
    The one immutable fact on this planet is that noone has ever wondered about that before.

Example:
    My wife: "and you wonder why i think you're a low life useless dick"
    Me: "no....no i really havent"

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry soon the next generation of teachers will be rolling through the schools who are actually highly computer literate with universities being largely online these days.
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Oh someone isn't computer tech savvy, must be an idiot...
    Checking if something is plugged in when it's not working is "common" sense...

Deleted
    So what you're saying is that old people have trouble with computers... Amazing insight there bro!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    what this guy said ...

i work for a mobile communications company in austria and the best question i ever got was:

Customer: "My USB Internet Stick doesn't work."
    Me: "What do you mean, it doesn't work? Describe it to me."
    Customer: "I plug it into my PS3 but i get no internet connection."
    Me: "Really?! .................................................."

Please, please say you're joking.

I want to sleep tonight without tossing and turning over such stupidity existing in the world

Please...