Page 1 of 2
LastLast

living in a dry cabin

I have had an idea that I've wanted to do since I was sixteen,and I realized I could possibly be in the position to do in a few years. What I want to do is a bit insane but I like the idea
    Living simple but tech superior(my home would have a massive home network that would have servers, pcs, and such) sounds strange right...don't understand?
    I want to live in a dry cabin in Alaska, but make it superior in tech also only eating soylent ( https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body) and chewing gum to keep my teeth strong
    No running water...no indoor toilet etc is what a dry cabin is.
    I have a few questions because I seriously cannot come up with a good solution for these
    Is there a way I can remotely turn on a heater in an outhouse
    Is there a way I can make a shower that isn't a camp shower my thought has been pump... But I can't think of a way to get the water out of the cabin, and how to heat said water
    Good way to clean the cups ill use for soylent
    And how crazy do I sound

10+ Year Old Account
    You want a shower in a dry cabin? Is that the bathing equivalency to dry cleaning only?

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    You want a shower in a dry cabin? Is that the bathing equivalency to dry cleaning only?
    Lots of wet wipes.

Or...paper towels?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Lots of wet wipes.

Or...paper towels?
    Or perhaps he just wants to dunk his nuts in Purell?

*rubs ferociously with paper towels* Why won't this smell come off?

Not crazy at all, if you have plenty of money to burn and maybe a buddy or two to help out. To remotely turn on your outhouse heater you could rig the heater to some cables underground that run to a switch in your cabin. The shower idea puzzles me though, would it be located in your cabin or in the outhouse? Or in another room entirely?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikeydeath View Post
    Good way to clean the cups ill use for soylent
    And how crazy do I sound
    Less crazy than Nakura, but that doesn't count for much And when I hear "soylent", it takes some time not to think of "soylent green" and cannibalism, but that it might have some real roots and possibly be a real-world mixture of soybeans and lent, which doesn't sound tasty but less repugnant than human flesh.

I know I'm not helping at all.

But I was some weeks ago talking about a couple who are living by operating a gambling site somewhere in the woods of British Columbia in Canada, and without grid electricity and phone/net by satellite, it isn't reliable and too expensive for servers, but enough for remote access to the hoster.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    Less crazy than Nakura, but that doesn't count for much And when I hear "soylent", it takes some time not to think of "soylent green" and cannibalism
    So much this. Soylent just has such a horrible connotation to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I dont think I could have anything more than an utterly miserable life eating only soylent. Surely you could still eat food!
    Indeed, a week eating tasteless crap would feel like an eternity in hell.

I spent 3 years in alaska, of course it was a military base but are you ready for that kind of cold? Why not some remote area in a more desert climate, easier living, get a place as close to a river as possible, that will solve all your water problems. Im telling you man, ive had to dig out of my house in Alaska, ive seen telephone poles burst from such extreme cold, that place is no joke.

Watch the movie Into The Wild, its based on a true story.

I have thought about it being in the outhouse problem is that I would have the hole be full of water

I'd have internet I'm not a savage, the servers for my data storage if I didn't take my server id lose everything

And about tasting bland crap you have obviously never eaten my cooking

And why Alaska? I want to experience some kinda extreme condition and I have photosensitivity so yeah no desert for me plus I hate heat

Do you sound crazy? You sure do...

How long do you plan on doing this for?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Do you sound crazy? You sure do...

How long do you plan on doing this for?
    max two years

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one put off by the company name? Soylent? Do they sell crackers too!?

10+ Year Old Account
    With plumbing and real food, I would do this and love it.

Would you try to take down some wild game for added sustenance, or are you dead set on this soylent crap? Because I looked it up and let's just say it's a dealbreaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    With plumbing and real food, I would do this and love it.

Would you try to take down some wild game for added sustenance, or are you dead set on this soylent crap? Because I looked it up and let's just say it's a dealbreaker for me.
    I wanted something to minimize dishes

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted something to minimize dishes
    Bring a woman?

And why Alaska? I want to experience some kinda extreme condition and I have photosensitivity so yeah no desert for me plus I hate heat
    I think you're really underestimating how extremely bright it can be in alaska.
    the sun can be up for 20-24 hours a day in some parts of alaska during the summer.
    factor in the reflection off the snow and you can get serious sun burns and can even blind yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    I think you're really underestimating how extremely bright it can be in alaska.
    the sun can be up for 20-24 hours a day in some parts of alaska during the summer.
    factor in the reflection off the snow and you can get serious sun burns and can even blind yourself.
    I camped in alaska one september and I also camped in the mojave
    yes Alaska was bright, but i didnt get hives as bad as Mojave

You want to live in a dry cabin... in Alaska?

You'll die, don't try it.