Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Why do people feel the need to blow through money? You say your car isn't that great, so why not either invest in a better vehicle or save the money for your current vehicle's inevitable downfall?
    He'll just get the other one hit, too.

But speaking from experience, people in a position where unexpected money is a huge thing aren't generally going to save that money for a future unpleasantness. Why? Because most of life is a future unpleasantness for them. They've already anticipated and planned for the day when their car breaks down and they'll have to take a bus everywhere for a few weeks until a new clunker falls within their pay grade. Or when they'll have to eat peanut butter sandwiches the last few days of the month like they have every month before that. It's an inevitability, so when a windfall comes their way, they aren't necessarily looking to slightly ease that burden that's coming any day now. No, they're actually going to enjoy the freebie (because that's what it is; any amount of money below a life-changing amount is going to disappear sooner or later, and then you're back in the same boat), since who knows when the next time they'll be able to buy a new computer will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    when i was like 4 an elderly neighbour died, apparently she considered me and my sister her grand children and left both of us £10k each to be made available when we turn 21. After 17 years we had forgot about it so was a nice birthday surprise :s Can't even remember or thank her : /

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    He'll just get the other one hit, too.

But speaking from experience, people in a position where unexpected money is a huge thing aren't generally going to save that money for a future unpleasantness. Why? Because most of life is a future unpleasantness for them. They've already anticipated and planned for the day when their car breaks down and they'll have to take a bus everywhere for a few weeks until a new clunker falls within their pay grade. Or when they'll have to eat peanut butter sandwiches the last few days of the month like they have every month before that. It's an inevitability, so when a windfall comes their way, they aren't necessarily looking to slightly ease that burden that's coming any day now. No, they're actually going to enjoy the freebie (because that's what it is; any amount of money below a life-changing amount is going to disappear sooner or later, and then you're back in the same boat), since who knows when the next time they'll be able to buy a new computer will be.
    Listen to this while reading your post:

It makes what you're saying incredibly epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought this was a TSA recruitment ad.

Shouldn't you be advocating for the pacifist underclass to build you a new war-wagon?

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Shouldn't you be advocating for the pacifist underclass to build you a new war-wagon?
    I'd much rather use this money to start a series of orphanages that will train children to become soldiers. $2000 likely won't be enough, so I'll get the rest through Kickstarter.

i was hit one december by a girl who ran a stop sign. car was still driveable but i had planned to fix it, i got $4000. january (22 days later) i was in the same car (hadn't been fixed yet) and t-boned by a pickup truck running a redlight, broke my neck (airbag "punched" me through the windshield, seatbelt didn't catch like it should have) and i got $27,000

so those 2 wrecks in 3 weeks got me over $30k. closest to being rich as i've ever been, i had no debt so i bought a nice used car for $6000, paid some of my family's bills and took a vacation that spring

One time my car decided to take itself for a drive through the parking lot and hit the front end of one of my employee's cars, which had their bumper held on solely by some contraption they rigged up who knows how long ago. They came to me the next day and wanted $300 to fix their bumper. I did the reasonable thing and had HR fire them the next morning.

Keeping money is almost the same as suddenly getting it.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    My mechanic totaled my car just over a year ago. The car wasn't even worth $1000 in the black book
    and yet insurance gave me around $3500 for it. I'm in Canada so perhaps it's because I wasn't the one
    who caused the accident, not sure. I do know that I'd wanted to keep that car until it died, so much so
    that I was willing to replace the clutch(which cost more than the value of the car) but I guess that was a bad idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    You made a thread for 2k? That is like me calling people poor because I got a large redundancy payout.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    My mechanic totaled my car just over a year ago. The car wasn't even worth $1000 in the black book
    and yet insurance gave me around $3500 for it. I'm in Canada so perhaps it's because I wasn't the one
    who caused the accident, not sure. I do know that I'd wanted to keep that car until it died, so much so
    that I was willing to replace the clutch(which cost more than the value of the car) but I guess that was a bad idea.
    Story time. How the hell did the mechanic total it?
    Aye mate

You know what this means? Hookers and blow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not me. If I come into money I'd rather it not be by means of damage to my personal property. In my case I'd probably actually have to use it for repairs.. not much of a win.

One of my school bus drivers as a kid his a car parked in a neighborhood though.

Kneel before me, peasants! Or how I'm rich.
    Oddly doesn't look like a Blood Elf...

Hum op got banned...was a mod an insurance agent