Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Thumbs down Okay so, how does this make sense?

So, a rogue cloaked my first Stormblast, then he dodged my second..
    Explain?

You've been defeated by RNG

Deleted
    Dude, that just makes no sense, its either a spell or a physical damage ability, not a physical spell..

10+ Year Old Account
    Nature damage - resistable with Cloak.
    Melee weapon attack - dodgeable.

So in other words:

You've been defeated by RNG
    I know it sucks, but it's far from being the only ability that is treated this way. Frost Strike comes to mind.

It's a melee ability, so it can be dodged, but since its damage belongs to a spell school (in your case, nature), it is possible to resist it with abilities like Cloak or AMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Deleted
    I realize this, but even exp cap won't help here.. Hard capped..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delion View Post
    I realize this, but even exp cap won't help here.. Hard capped..
    Did the rogue pop Evasion? Grants 100% dodge, so that might have been it.

If that was the case, then it wasn't RNG at all.
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Deleted
    No Evasion.

10+ Year Old Account
    No Evasion.
    Then I don't know. I may be wrong, but I think a Rogue can have more dodge from raw agility than the expertise hard cap can handle, so in that case, we're back to RNG.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Then I don't know. I may be wrong, but I think a Rogue can have more dodge from raw agility than the expertise hard cap can handle, so in that case, we're back to RNG.
    Yes that is right, rogues, druids and monks get dodge from agility. My tyr geared rogue, ungemmed and unenchanted is sitting on 17.5% dodge atm.

Deleted
    RNG, what the game is based about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fail View Post
    Yes that is right, rogues, druids and monks get dodge from agility. My tyr geared rogue, ungemmed and unenchanted is sitting on 17.5% dodge atm.
    I guess we have our answer then.

Dude, that just makes no sense, its either a spell or a physical damage ability, not a physical spell..
    Or... Blizz actually made some melee attacks that deal zero physical damage, and 100% spell damage. Lava Lash works this way. It's a melee special, that can be dodged/parried/etc., but deals 100% fire damage. I'm thinking stormblast may be the same.

It also sounds like the rogue was clever, and popped his cloak as a reaction to seeing you pop ascendance. Smart rogue. If he dodged the stormblast, then what you might try next time is stunning him with your capacitor totem, and hope you can get ascendance + stormblast off, on him. If he breaks out of the stun, then all I can say is that, as a shaman, rogues are the single biggest reason that I dropped all interest in PvP.

As for the "sense" of melee attacks that deal spell damage, consider that being able to completely bypass armor with them is a huge benefit.

Deleted
    I can live with Lava Lash and frost strike being dodgeable but Stormblast should just be treated as a spell, end of story. It makes no sense that a ranged blast of electricity is treated like a melee attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Castozor View Post
    I can live with Lava Lash and frost strike being dodgeable but Stormblast should just be treated as a spell, end of story. It makes no sense that a ranged blast of electricity is treated like a melee attack.
    So what, exactly, in a fantasy world of magic, dimensional travel, time travel, goblin/gnome *cough* engineering, awakened/sentient undead, glam-rock "FABULOUTH" paladins, and sexy goat-chicks from space WOULD make "sense" to you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Embermoon View Post
    So what, exactly, in a fantasy world of magic, dimensional travel, time travel, goblin/gnome *cough* engineering, awakened/sentient undead, glam-rock "FABULOUTH" paladins, and sexy goat-chicks from space WOULD make "sense" to you?
    I expected something like this. But it's very simple, how is Stormblast really different from Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning? All 3 are blasts/streams of lightning being hurled towards enemies, why would one of those be classified as a melee attack (when it's clearly a ranged attack) and 2 others are rightfully classified as spells? Enhancement is reliant enough on Ascendence as it is, having it's 2 instances of heavy damage being dodgable/parryable is just stupid design.

Quote Originally Posted by Castozor View Post
    I expected something like this. But it's very simple, how is Stormblast really different from Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning? All 3 are blasts/streams of lightning being hurled towards enemies, why would one of those be classified as a melee attack (when it's clearly a ranged attack) and 2 others are rightfully classified as spells? Enhancement is reliant enough on Ascendence as it is, having it's 2 instances of heavy damage being dodgable/parryable is just stupid design.
    SB is different, from both LB, and CL, in the fact that the former is a melee ranged special ability, which deals nature damage, whereas the latter are both ranged spells which deal nature damage. SB is based off of SS, which is a melee special. Enhancement is, at it's core, designed as a melee spec.

Melee abilities can be dodged/parried, whereas spells can't. I'm not sure where the confusion is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enhance is a burst class. You dont blow your cds into enemy defensives. Always wait until after die by the sword,cloak,tree form,life cocoon etc.

Gotta watch those enemy buffs/debuffs.
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Embermoon View Post
    SB is different, from both LB, and CL, in the fact that the former is a melee ranged special ability, which deals nature damage, whereas the latter are both ranged spells which deal nature damage. SB is based off of SS, which is a melee special. Enhancement is, at it's core, designed as a melee spec.

Melee abilities can be dodged/parried, whereas spells can't. I'm not sure where the confusion is.
    I'm not sure how you can confuse a clearly long ranged attack with a melee attack. Yes I know it's tied to SS but that doesn't mean that it's designation should stay the same as SS when it comes to being a melee attack or spell. Ascendance for Enhancement is all about temporarily changing our designation as a mostly melee spec to a mostly ranged spec. I fail to see why SB can't be classified as a spell since being both vulnarable against anti-magic defenses and anti-melee defenses during your (ranged) burst is silly and unfair in my opinion.
    And yes Starsinn, I too like to wait for defenses to be popped and expire before using Ascendance but that still doesn't remove the possibility of having a large part of your burst being arbitrarily negated by a lucky dodge.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that stormblast should probably be a spell and not a melee attack but sadly its both. We are also affected by disarms AND silences which is a piss off too! Its just the world we live in right now.

Since enhance is only going to score kills with an unleash-ele blast-stormblast combo you NEED to do everything you can to make sure you maximise that burst. Thats why I mentioned enemy defensives. If you dont get a kill inside of your ascendance you will be fighting uphill for 3 min.

On the other hand our burst is arguably the scariest in the game. Maybe its ok that there is a bit of RNG with it. Ascendance is also easily countered with basically any cc.
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

Deleted
    Oh I agree, once changed to a spell instead of some pseudo-melee attack something should be done to remove the sudden burst of damage which can catch people before they have time to pop their defences. Because I'll gladly trade random instagibs every now and again for more reliable burst all the time.