Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Child taken from womb by social services (UK)

Essex social services obtained a High Court order against the woman that allowed her to be forcibly sedated and her child to be taken from her womb.

The council said it was acting in the best interests of the woman, an Italian who was in Britain on a work trip, because she had suffered a mental breakdown.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-services.html
    Last edited by blake22tt; 2013-12-01 at 11:12 AM. Reason: People couldnt see past the newspapers word play

10+ Year Old Account
    Social workers doesn't perform C-sections, surgeons do..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I don't have issue with the removal of the child but if she is now "sane" they should give it back to her.

Quote Originally Posted by blake22tt View Post
    A pregnant woman has had her baby forcibly removed by caesarean section by social workers.
    Social workers don't perform surgeries. On top of that, it's not a social workers decision, it would be the decision of a doctor and psychiatrist. So, yeah, that's false.

Anyway, there's not much to talk about. She was unfit to be a parent, so she isn't a parent, sounds like everyone did their job.

Kinda scary that courts/social workers have that sort of power over people (even non citizens).
    Last edited by blake22tt; 2013-12-01 at 11:25 AM.

Deleted
    That's pretty damn fucked up. Those who did that should lose their right to bodily autonomy so people can do whatever the fuck they want to them.

I have seen methed out women that were pregnant this should have been done to.

Once you end up in the nut house you lose control over a lot of things

Deleted
    That's absolutely disgusting and wrong and whats worse is that it apparently happened in the UK. What happened to forced surgical procedures being a violation of human rights? Bodily autonomy and all that..

How can any court order someone to undergo a surgery, especially if its relatively severe, leaves a nasty scar and could take away her ability to have children in the future.

Creepy..very creepy.

Deleted
    Thats pretty messed up. The mother was not british, she was here for training for her job, I do not see how a british social worker should have any say over the child - who is Italian - welfare. I can understand them sectioning her, as they appear to have done legally. We don't know how severe her breakdown is, and I can even understand a court order for a caesarean on a sectioned patient if it is genuinely believed by doctors and the court that the mother and child are at risk otherwise.

What makes no sense is that now she has recovered, has been released, has legal backing saying she is fit and sane, the british court will not only refuse to return the child to her - but is refusing to return the Italian child, to Italian social services.

That is the problem I have with it. The mother is Italian, she was in the UK temporarily for a job training scheme, her child is Italian by blood despite the fact it was forcibly born here, why is the UK hanging on to the child. Hand it over to the social services in Italy and let them decide if the mother is fit or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    That is the problem I have with it. The mother is Italian, she was in the UK temporarily for a job training scheme, her child is Italian by blood despite the fact it was forcibly born here, why is the UK hanging on to the child. Hand it over to the social services in Italy and let them decide if the mother is fit or not.
    They can't give the child back its now just a token of international dispute and it would proof the decision makers wrong -,-

If a natural delivery was not possible due to some extreme case like that she permanently tried to smash everything around her into one gooey pulp it might even be debateable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Bodily autonomy and all that..
    You can't abort a week before birth. At least hardly legal.

The rights for body autonomy are not 50/50 at that point put not 100/0.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2013-12-01 at 01:25 PM.

Wow, this is really creepy story. Reminds me of all those "forced sterilization" bills Republicans in the USA propose from time to time for women living under the poverty line and who receive welfare. They've never passed, but if they did this stuff would probably become commonplace.
    Religion isn't the absence of reason. It's merely the presence of faith.
    Heroes of the Storm : all day erryday

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by d0e1ow View Post
    Wow, this is really creepy story. Reminds me of all those "forced sterilization" bills Republicans in the USA propose from time to time for women living under the poverty line and who receive welfare. They've never passed, but if they did this stuff would probably become commonplace.
    If they did this they would get killed.

Deleted
    Not sure if or what of it is true ,but if it is:

There should be no right to take the child out of a mother's womb if giving birth naturally does neither harm the mother, nor the child. Having a panic attack or a bipolar personality can still mean that you are able to carry the child to term, as long as you are being monitored by psychiatrists or else.

If I was pregnant and they'd just sedate me and take away my child, and I wake up and it's gone, taken away from me, I'd probably suffer from PTSD right after.

If however she was running around yelling 'I'm going to kill myself' or 'I'm going to kill my unborn child', then I can understand the concern because it does threaten the life of both of them. If that wasn't the case, then they had to right to do what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by blake22tt View Post
    Essex social services obtained a High Court order against the woman that allowed her to be forcibly sedated and her child to be taken from her womb.

The council said it was acting in the best interests of the woman, an Italian who was in Britain on a work trip, because she had suffered a mental breakdown.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-services.html
    Manifestly evil abuse of power.

What in the fuck is this bullshit D= this is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    That's pretty damn fucked up. Those who did that should lose their right to bodily autonomy so people can do whatever the fuck they want to them.
    Yeah, because it's their fault for following the laws.

I very much doubt they'd risk their integrity by making up a punishment without a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Yeah, because it's their fault for following the laws.

I very much doubt they'd risk their integrity by making up a punishment without a good reason.
    But you surely do find issue with them not releasing the Italian child to the now good health mother, and not releasing the child to at the very least Italian social services.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks like a severly harrowing experience this woman went through, and it's sickening to see people here think it's an acceptable way to treat a person with bi-polar disorder that was manageable by medication, and also bearing in mind that she was both employed and attending a training course, which indicates her condition was totally managed prior to the panic attack. It would be enough to make a perfectly stable individual unstable. There may be a valid reason why this was done to her, but you cannot know this from the facts presented in this case.

She was first lied to by the police she called by being placed in a psychiatric facility when they said she was going to be taken to a hospital for her panic attack. She was then forcibly kept inside the facility under the mental health act, forcibly sedated, then had her newborn baby cut out of her and told she wouldn't be allowed to get it back. All of this because she had a panic attack and attempted to get help for herself.

Usually you need to speak to an immediate family member, if one is available, to section someone under the mental health act. This doesn't seem to have been done. If she submitted herself voluntarily then she also retained the right to leave at her own descretion, which she did when the police arrived. I don't see why they sectioned her if she voluntarily submitted herself to a normal hospital for treatment, especially considering her medication was managing her condition.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    I don't see why they sectioned her if she voluntarily submitted herself to a normal hospital for treatment, especially considering her medication was managing her condition.
    Not if you are a danger for yourself or others. I don't know what she did there if it was nothing really dangerous then well absolutely barbaric decision.