Poll: Would you pay to see WOW/ESport?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I wouldn't pay to watch people play sports either. Unless you count the cost of directv to see Bulls games.
    I think it would fall along the same lines. Or more specifically, it would be like someone who has basic cable, but pays extra for sports channels or something (I don't watch sports, so I don't know if they cost more, but I always see advertisements for sports packages *shrug*).

Personally, given that WF guilds don't stream live attempts and first kills (understandably),there's no other reason I would have for paying anything extra to see something that has 1) already been done, or 2) doesn't interest me that much (pvp). If I was hardcore into PVP and wanted to see what some of my favorite players were doing, then I might consider some sort of paid stream. Only if it was reasonably priced of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    I think it would fall along the same lines. Or more specifically, it would be like someone who has basic cable, but pays extra for sports channels or something (I don't watch sports, so I don't know if they cost more, but I always see advertisements for sports packages *shrug*).
    Most sports you can see with basic packages although there is always extras (I have an extra sports package and basic cable). In fact if it wasn't for live sports I would drop my cable and just use netflix.

You could compare E-Sports to a concert if you aren't interested in sports. Personally I hate dropping $50-100+ on a professional team but wouldn't think twice about dropping $20 for the junior team in town here (and I have spent $50-100 on a sports team and would gladly do it again, I'm just cheap in general so will only do that every couple of years).
    Last edited by dryankem; 2013-12-13 at 07:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I pay when I could just find it for free a few hours after it's over?

If people want to pay to see it when it's live, more power to them. I don't care about games, sports and e-sports alike, near enough to pay just to see high level gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I barely pay to play it myself.

So no.

Watching someone play games is like watching someone watch TV.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    I disagree with this. With the absurd amount of the population that watches sports religiously (fucking hate hearing people talk about sports, lol), watching eSports is not all that strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. There's no skill involved with watching TV, you could do it just as good yourself.

Absolutly not wow, maybe if there is some big e-sport tornament but not wow.

Back when MLG hosted WoW events (WotLK) for Arenas it would cost $10 for a 2 day pass (2 day event) and that would no only cover WoW but every other MLG e-sport that was going on at the time (Halo, CoD, w/e). I don't know where you got your # of $25-$100 but it wouldn't cost nearly that much. I used to pay for the MLG WoW events because for 2 days of entertainment it was worth it for $10. That being said there wasn't anything nearly as popular as Twitch.tv and the player hosted tournys were non-existent so there wasn't as many options.

$50 says you have watched a sporting event in the last few weeks.

Deleted
    Never ever. I'm very much into sports like football, soccer, etc. but paying someone for playing computer games? Nope.

Nope. But then, I would never to pay to watch any sporting event, electronic or otherwise, nor would I pay to go to a sporting event unless it had some very large significance to me personally....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    Back when MLG hosted WoW events (WotLK) for Arenas it would cost $10 for a 2 day pass (2 day event) and that would no only cover WoW but every other MLG e-sport that was going on at the time (Halo, CoD, w/e). I don't know where you got your # of $25-$100 but it wouldn't cost nearly that much. I used to pay for the MLG WoW events because for 2 days of entertainment it was worth it for $10. That being said there wasn't anything nearly as popular as Twitch.tv and the player hosted tournys were non-existent so there wasn't as many options.

I got the $25-100 based off an average sports/concert ticket or even a pay per view fight. There is potential to have a larger audience on TV but if you want a professional gamer making professional athlete dollars then you need to charge higher end prices. Besides sporting events get anywhere from 15k-50k + people paying $25-$100+ as well as the money from TV rights and sponsors.

That and I had no real clue on what people currently pay because it's just something I have no interest in, I was really more curious if there was an actual market for it.
    Last edited by dryankem; 2013-12-13 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    That's an easily earned 50 bucks for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL... no.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Hell no, I won't pay $39 for Blizzcon, why the hell would anyone pay to watch others play? Whatever floats your boat I guess but never in my case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not an E-sport fan (except maybe at the moment where a boss is killed to see the emotion but that's it). I like "let's play" when the commentator adds flavour to the play (Jesse Cox, WoWCrendor for example).

I wouldn't pay to watch other people play a game regardless of it's nature. I will go watch sports/e-sports if I'm invited and it isn't going to cost me anything other than time. I do enjoy watching highlight reel style videos of people doing cool stuff in video games but not enough to pay for it.

Voted for "Would never watch someone play an E-Sport" as there isn't a simple no option.
    I might watch WoW e-sport but i would never pay for it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I "needed" to watch someone play a computer game I'd just go over to YouTube.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DandierSphinx View Post
    Voted for "Would never watch someone play an E-Sport" as there isn't a simple no option.
    I might watch WoW e-sport but i would never pay for it.
    Yeah that option was poor on my behalf. I should have just put no or would never pay to watch an e-sport.
    Last edited by dryankem; 2013-12-13 at 08:34 PM.