Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Any books similar to say Eragon? From zero to hero?

Hi there, so I tend to have these periods where I just crave something to read, and now that christmas break has started, it's time again! Basicly, I am looking for some tips on some great fantasy books which you've heard good of or enjoyed. Here's a few things I'm looking for in a book, it can have them all, or only one thing, but a general idea basicly:

- From zero to hero. Eragon is an example of that, random farmer boy who's weak and then becomes the hero, falls in love with the girl only to never be together. Yeah, I'm a sucker for those.
    - Timeskips. Damn do I love timeskips, especially when there's something tragic that forces the timeskip. A few years is the best kind, but anything well written with a timeskip is a big +.
    - Fantasy and adventure. Yepp, treasures,, fights, dragons, travel the lands, you name it. Not too much of a fan of Sci-Fi, but don't rule it out!
    - Mythology is great aswell, especially greek ones. I love the Percy Jacksson series!
    - I love the TV show Game of Thrones, and I know the books are amazing and probably something you'll recommend, but these are the only books I won't read until I've finished the TV-show.
    - Rather be trilogys or someting like that, not just one single book, but ofc, if there is a single book, shoot!

Honestly, it might be hard to find books like my interests, most of these things are usually found in mangas which I read quite a lot of, but I'll hope there's something out there!

Books that I can remember on the top of my heard which I've read would be the Harry Potter series, Eragon series and Percy Jacksson series. I loved all of them, and am looking for something akin to that! Not interested in the LOTR series either, the movies were amazing enough!

Deleted
    You might like Katherine Kerr's work, plenty of timeline jumping there.

10+ Year Old Account
    there was a very similar thread not too long ago, you might want to look for that :D

i'll recommend the same that i did in that other thread: The Kingkiller Chronicle
    one of the best series i've ever read. it fits the zero-to-hero stuff perfectly, yet still does an incredible job at portraying very believable characters.

edit: here's said thread.
    Last edited by Sy; 2013-12-20 at 04:29 PM.

There's a great book series called The Morcyth Saga. The first book is The Unsuspecting Mage. I found it in the Apple bookstore as a free download, and they're on Amazon as well. Really great series about a normal teenage kid who gets pulled into a world where magic exists.
    Last edited by ShuaVerde; 2013-12-26 at 07:01 AM.

Posion study - magic study - fire study

oh - and the magicians guild aswell

oohooh. and the djinn series. i think its called beatimeus or something. (abit childish maybe in the wrting) but still good
    Last edited by Unproven; 2013-12-20 at 04:38 PM.

Anne McCaffrey Dragonriders of Pern. I think you will REALLY appreciate the first trilogy and then will want to read more.. however when her son took over its not as good go maybe skip the newest ones.

Another great one with that theme is the Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony.

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm, How about Piers Anthony - The Apprentice Adept series. Also, I enjoyed Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern, novels.

Edit: Heh, I see we're on the same page there, Voodoou!
    Last edited by Lurex; 2013-12-20 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unproven View Post
    oh - and the magicians guild aswell
    This is a good set of books that I hardly see recommended enough and it fits your criteria minus the time skip. It also sets up the rules and whys/hows of the way magic works somewhat like Eragon did but in quite a bit more detail if you liked that aspect
    Last edited by Erolian; 2013-12-20 at 04:37 PM.

You would probably like Assassins apprentice.
    But if you want to immerse yourself in a massive fantasy world, start reading Steven Erikson. The books are quite heavy but ones you get used to the writing style it is the best fantasy ever. At least to me.

Karen Miller's Godspeaker Trilogy was very good. Also, her King Maker, King Breaker series was good as well. Both have characters that start out from nothing and become very powerful.
    Last edited by NoRest4Wicked; 2013-12-20 at 04:37 PM.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

The Bartimaeus trilogy is really good. It's about an alternate reality where a kid is a magician's apprentice in London. Magicians are people who generally summon "demons" otherwise known as djinn, afrits, imps etc. It's really good. There is a timeskip after the first book when he becomes a young adult and another timeskip after the second book where he comes a few years older.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Karen Millers: Godspeaker Trilogy was very good. Also, her King Maker, King Breaker series was good as well. Both have characters that start out from nothing and become very powerful.
    Heh, was just about to say this. Also the character development in these books is excellent. Some of the best I've ever seen.

Ready Player One.

It is scifi, is only one book, and its time skip is only a period of 8 months or so, but its full of adventure and fights, and its writing style is very manga-esque. The basic premise is about an MMO called The Oasis which 90% of the worlds population is logged into 90% of the time, told from the point of view of a teenager who is on a quest for the "easter egg" hidden in the MMO by its now dead creator. It is rife with nerd pop culture, 80s pop culture, dystopian vision without actually CONCENTRATING on the dystopia, fights between supped up "Avatars", and puzzles related to finding the egg which you begin to try and figure out as the protagonist is.

It is a little bit of a stretch for some of your criteria, but its a quick read and is written in a similar vein to the "young adult fantasy novel" style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One

http://www.amazon.com/dp/030788743X/...l_2lerly8a6b_b

Magician by Raymond E. Feist. THE ENTIRE SERIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say The Belgaraid and it's sequal series The Malloreon. Very well built world and they play off of ancient prophesy pretty well (2 opposing prophesies with an actual will and only one can win kind of thing. each has their own "chosen one")
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

How about the Warcraft novels?

Hercules comes to mind :P
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    I would say The Belgaraid and it's sequal series The Malloreon. Very well built world and they play off of ancient prophesy pretty well (2 opposing prophesies with an actual will and only one can win kind of thing. each has their own "chosen one")
    Came to say the same 2 series, so guess I'll just quote and say, yeah, I agree, 10 of the best books I ever read (never got round to the addon books).

Quote Originally Posted by Lurex View Post
    hmm, How about Piers Anthony - The Apprentice Adept series. Also, I enjoyed Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern, novels.

Edit: Heh, I see we're on the same page there, Voodoou!
    ok THAT was too funny!

Oh damn, that's a lot of replies. @Wozniak, forgot to mention that I've read those aswell.

@rest I'll check out what you've recommended, thanks for that! Keep 'em coming if you got other tips!