Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Give us ya fucking money...NOW!! bob geldoff on the BBC at live aid.
    he actually just said "give us your money...NOW!!"

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    IIRC he said exactly - "I helped create the internet"

In context he was referring to legislation that allowed it to grow as you say, it is just a great example of why succinct quotes are so open to abuse and misinterpretation.
    In an effort to beat this to death . . .

In fact Al Gore did not claim to have "invented" the internet. This a distortion of statements in which Gore claims credit for his role within Congress in funding the internet's development. While popularized by Gore's political opponents as a quote from Gore, the initial use of the word "invented" in this context was by Wired News author Declan McCullagh, who in turn was paraphrasing House Majority Leader Armey's criticism of Gore's claims. The correct Gore quote from CNN's Late Edition: "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

"If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

The above has been attributed to many people, but the actual source is English comedian Marcus Brigstocke.