Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kassander View Post
    SWTOR. If you want endgame.... maybe not much here. Which is why I don't play it. But the leveling process was by far the most enjoyable of any MMO with the exception of the first time I leveled in WoW. F2P as well.
    You can't raid if you play F2P. You can't do the space battle missions. Pretty much anything you would want to do besides level a character costs cartel coins.

Increasing your inventory or bank space
    Adding more action bars
    Using titles that you earn
    Space battles
    Raiding
    Pretty much all cost cartel coins. So in reality you can't do half of the game.

Age of Conan has some really nice raids and classes, pvp is not fun unless you have high tier pvp gear. And it looks pretty nice to, there is no public events and stuff so questing is pretty slow and boring.

Rift is also a good game, with loads off stuff to do.

If you miss the old WoW, like Wrath or BC, the complexity and challenge....I think you'll like Rift. They haven't dumbed it down to "Ages Stupid and up" like Pandaria and Cata did. When Panda dropped I left WoW, looked around and found Rift, haven't looked back. Unless they ever release "old content servers", WoW's dead to me. It's a kids game now.
    The people that say things like "they all suck and can't be compared to WoW" are confusing loyalty with objectivity, which I understand. I really miss WoW, but it's gone, and currently IT sucks compared to Rift if you're a raider or pvp'er. It only looks to be getting better for Rift, too, because they actually give a sh*t what their players want.

Ya know what kills me about WoW, though? How can anyone really get an accurate picture of what the players want, when their forums are locked to only subs? Somewhere between 2-5 million EX-subs with opinions and a desire to return to a better WoW, voiceless. Blizz may always have a cash cow there, but that cow is hemorrhaging players right now, and for good reason.

The Quality of the game itself isnt what Counts, at least for me i found that out.

If i have cool comrades/friends to Play along, the game can be unready, full of bugs or whatnot and i still feel good. But if i dont have my own cool community to Play with it sucks sooner or later, even if ist the most polished Thing

Check out TERA, it has one of the best F2P models (as in you really don't need to pay) and is visually very pleasant.

Moreover the combat system is somewhat different and refreshing.

Rift is a solid game but if you're bored with WoW you may be bored with it as it's WoW-but-not-WoW. There's more class flexibility, but the basic systems are the same, from rotations to leveling and questing and all of that. Crafting is a bit more in-depth but still isn't interesting, may even be less so.
    When you're max level and have more to play with it may change significantly, but I could just never stick with it because it's too similar to WoW and if I'm going to play that system I may as well play WoW.

LotRO is really good. Nice graphics, great world, different systems (crafting is wonderful) but the F2P gets in the way at times and it's easy to get the impression that it's pay-to-grind with daily quests, zone unlocks etc. With a paid sub it's probably less intrusive. When I first played I got bored with quest zones being all the same (ie killing bigger and bigger boars, bears orcs) but last I played the questing had been improved. Classes are really fun and different from WoW too.
    If I left WoW to go to another MMO right now it'd probably be LotRO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    You can't raid if you play F2P. You can't do the space battle missions. Pretty much anything you would want to do besides level a character costs cartel coins.

Increasing your inventory or bank space
    Adding more action bars
    Using titles that you earn
    Space battles
    Raiding
    Pretty much all cost cartel coins. So in reality you can't do half of the game.
    You can buy all of those things on the GTN for credits.
    So the F2P model is really a great way to get a feel for the game, and see if you want to play preferred/subscription. Aside from that, it offers all of the fun of the class storylines and such, which are quite good and enjoyable, if you ask me.

TOR is a great game. If you want to subscribe, you get more, much more than a free player ever would, indeed, but instead of comparing it to a full F2P mode, I think it's better to compare it to WoW's 'F2P' mode, where you can only level to 20, cannot use chat, cannot use mail, cannot do... Well; anything other than LFG, really. All of a sudden, TOR's introduction mode is pretty good, huh?

Edit: So yeah; give TOR a try, see if you like it. Other recommedations from me: Rift and Dungeons and Dragons Online. Rift has by far the most honest F2P model out of any MMO (though it takes a hell of a grind to unlock the necessary things in it; you'll have to buy a credits pack for in-game gold from someone who bought it off the online store for real money, and that pack usually costs around 1000 gold (platinum?) if I'm not mistaken).
    D.D.O. is a pretty good game, but you'll soon get to the point of running quests time and again in order to progress, and there's a few unfair DnD mechanics in there like 'Save or Die' spell effects. In addition, if you really want to get to end-game, you'll have to buy expansions with money (or tokens you earn by progressing, which takes a lóóng time). Still, it's a fun game, with many fun mechanics inspired by Dungeons and Dragons 3.5.
    Last edited by Stir; 2014-01-15 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    there is nothing like WoW, sorry to break it to you, but I have tried almost all of the 'wow killers' and they all suck and can't be compared to the joy WoW gave me ..
    Same thing here for me man, only game that ever came remotely close for me was The Secret World for me. Now Wildstar is looking very Promising. I think the thing I hated the most about the other MMO's is they were too real, I like the cartoony feel of wow.

If you liked Classic WoW and Burning Crusade, I'd suggest giving Final Fantasy XIV a try. I've been enjoying it a lot.

They have a fairly cheap subscription model if you play only one character (you can only make one character). This isn't a big deal as one character can access every class by swapping weapons, so you can experiment with them. As you level them up, you can use some abilities from other classes, so a gladiator (tank) can use a conjurer's heal spell if they level up conjurer some. This isn't necessary, though, but it helps later on. The game encourages you to focus on one class first and then play with others to get some extra skills rather than pushing the need to grind everything up.

Crafting is divided into classes as well, and just like a regular MMO, crafting has its own gear sets and is a full game unto itself. You will wind up with a full bar of actions for crafting. The better you do, the higher quality your gear (and max level HQ gear can sell for a lot of money). It's a fun aspect of the game, not deeply required, but fun to spend some time on.

Leveling is about like WoW with quests, but there's a main story quest as well, which has a more traditional RPG feel to it giving the player the position of main character and unravelling a plot, complete with voice acted cut scenes (to be fair, though, the voice acting is really rough compared to WoW's recent voice acting. It might be better in Japanese, since that's the original for it. You CAN have audio in English, Japanese, German, and others though). The cut scenes can also be skipped by just hitting escape and confirming to skip (you can watch them anytime from an inn). On the down side, you do hit some points where you would like to see the next phase of the story, but you need to gain a level, or do a lot of filler main story quests like fetching this or talking to that guy, etc.

Dungeon runs have been pretty fun. Not too much CC, but sometimes it helps out. People have overall been quite friendly and using the daily roulette to do a random for bonus xp (or equivalent of justice badges at max level) de-levels you to appropriate level, so the dungeons don't go dead from nobody running them. Endgame is a bit of a grind, but I felt it's well paced. You get your class armor set higher up but not max level. You then run dungeons for a little bit better gear and start working on accumulating Tomestones (ie justice badges) for gear. You can run an LFR (only LFR, no multiple tiers) raid for 1 piece of gear per week which is a high ilvl boost. You can also run LFR or pre-made groups to fight 1 boss dungeons for weapons. Again, there is NO difference between the fight for pre-made groups vs LFR. Suck it up and conquer!

I know people would complain about "rehashed content" because endgame consists of fighting hard modes of Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan, who you fight through low levels. The last patch also included Extreme modes which progressively get harder. They've also done hard modes of two dungeons in the last patch. There's also an 8 man raid and the 24 man LFR raid (basically three 8 man groups).

Basically at endgame, you've got dungeons/Main Story Quest raids(2)/Low level dungeons (de-level and get tomestones) in a each 1/day roulette, Ifrit/Garuda/Titan (8 man) hard mode and extreme mode, King Moogle Mog (8 man), Crystal Tower (24 man LFR, you can queue solo or with up to 8 players), or Bahamut's Coil (the max level end game, 8 man dungeon). Around October, nobody had completed Bahamut's Coil, maybe even in November. Their plan is to alternate raid releases between Crystal Tower and Bahamut's Coil and the Coil will get a bit easier when the next tier releases for people to play catch up.

However, the fights are really fun and the 24 man is one of the more interesting, but fairly relaxed, raids I've done in a long time. I also liked that after completing the main story quest and opening Bahamut's Coil and Crystal Tower, there was a new main story quest that explains those dungeons, why you're entering them, etc. Even the hard mode dungeons and raids have a small quest intro explaining why there's still a problem in there.

Not to say the game is flawless, of course, but if you liked Classic WoW and somewhat BC, I personally feel that FF XIV is worth looking into.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2014-01-15 at 03:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're metal, live metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    You can buy all of those things on the GTN for credits.
    So the F2P model is really a great way to get a feel for the game, and see if you want to play preferred/subscription. Aside from that, it offers all of the fun of the class storylines and such, which are quite good and enjoyable, if you ask me.

TOR is a great game. If you want to subscribe, you get more, much more than a free player ever would, indeed, but instead of comparing it to a full F2P mode, I think it's better to compare it to WoW's 'F2P' mode, where you can only level to 20, cannot use chat, cannot use mail, cannot do... Well; anything other than LFG, really. All of a sudden, TOR's introduction mode is pretty good, huh?

Edit: So yeah; give TOR a try, see if you like it. Other recommedations from me: Rift and Dungeons and Dragons Online. Rift has by far the most honest F2P model out of any MMO (though it takes a hell of a grind to unlock the necessary things in it; you'll have to buy a credits pack for in-game gold from someone who bought it off the online store for real money, and that pack usually costs around 1000 gold (platinum?) if I'm not mistaken).
    D.D.O. is a pretty good game, but you'll soon get to the point of running quests time and again in order to progress, and there's a few unfair DnD mechanics in there like 'Save or Die' spell effects. In addition, if you really want to get to end-game, you'll have to buy expansions with money (or tokens you earn by progressing, which takes a lóóng time). Still, it's a fun game, with many fun mechanics inspired by Dungeons and Dragons 3.5.
    For me they killed TOR with the F2P model, I actually liked the game and did a 6month sub at first, but it just got to lame the leveling was lame as hell and slow. I loved the class story, but could care less about any other quests in the game honestly.

Try www.uoforever.com
    it's free to play, classic, insanely well balanced.
    Totally non consentual pvp.

A friend of mine use to swear by guild wars but not sure how he feels about GW2 (or if hes even played it lol)

I just downloaded Lord of the Rings Online and as a nerd for Tolkien I'm loving it. Rumor is I need to buy the expansions to get max level and play end game, is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Kassander View Post
    SWTOR. If you want endgame.... maybe not much here. Which is why I don't play it. But the leveling process was by far the most enjoyable of any MMO with the exception of the first time I leveled in WoW. F2P as well.
    SWTOR's endgame is better than WoW's for the last couple expacs imo. I wouldn't bother with the free option though, its basically just a 1-50 trial. If you are serious about the game, you should pay the sub.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Try www.uoforever.com
    it's free to play, classic, insanely well balanced.
    Totally non consentual pvp.
    Wait, it's acrually UO or just same looking game created by fans? Cuz UO is still pay to play. Wha't the difference from this http://www.uo.com/ ?

Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Wait, it's acrually UO or just same looking game created by fans? Cuz UO is still pay to play. Wha't the difference from this http://www.uo.com/ ?
    It's actually UO, except not UO like the one you linked.

This is UOF - which is basically UO the way it was back in the renaissance era (or however you spell it).
    No trammel
    No malas.
    No asian lands.

Just felucca. Open world PvP, housing, etc.
    All the good stuff, without any of the bad stuff. And it's all F2p.

Deleted
    I quite like D3 on an off-day. It's essentially single player most of the time but kills time until you get to FARMFARMFARMFARM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Well i play dragon quest 9 right now with some friends. Teamwork is a must .
    Best part is that you dont need a sub to play. And its very addicting.

You can play solo and make your own team or you can link up with a friend and play together.
    Its kinda like a mmo. You need a friend code tho.
    how is that an mmo?i googled it and it came up with being for the nds

Do I need to buy Lord of the Rings Online expansions?